Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

Elvis (2022)

I hate Baz Luhrman films, and I only know a few Elvis hits, but this was bloody fantastic.

I think it probably plays fast and loose with the truth but who cares when it's this entertaining?

Amazing performance by Austin Butler as Elvis and even Tom Hanks is watchable in his creepy Tom Parker/narrator role. Absolutely electric from start to finish.

Expected it to be an Andy King, ended up being a "King" Kevin.

Edited by JoetheRam

4 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Elvis (2022)

I hate Baz Luhrman films, and I only know a few Elvis hits, but this was bloody fantastic.

I think it probably plays fast and loose with the truth but who cares when it's this entertaining?

Amazing performance by Austin Butler as Elvis and even Tom Hanks is watchable in his creepy Tom Parker/narrator role. Absolutely electric from start to finish.

Expected it to be an Andy King, ended up being a "King" Kevin.

Agreed. Not especially an Elvis fan, but I really enjoyed it. I think it's the first Baz Luhrmann film I've ever watched . Kind of restored my faith in cinema after watching the absolute pile of poo that was top gun maverick......and yes, I'm well aware that I appear to be in a minority of one when it comes to that film !

Edited by ketteringram

The Father

A film that scares the living bejeebers out of me. Is this me in 5 or 10 years time or - even more terrifying - is it me now?

Quite possibly Anthony Hopkins' finest performance that doesn't include fava beans and a nice Chianti.

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

The Father

A film that scares the living bejeebers out of me. Is this me in 5 or 10 years time or - even more terrifying - is it me now?

Quite possibly Anthony Hopkins' finest performance that doesn't include fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Got it on my watch list so thanks for the positive review.

On 15/07/2022 at 08:42, JoetheRam said:

Elvis (2022)

Expected it to be an Andy King, ended up being a "King" 

Just back from seeing it. Superb, definitely one to see on the big screen. 

Sound and camera action was brilliant. 

We sat down to watch highly ranked comedy from 1959 named I´m All Right Jack.  Reading the comments on IMDB had me looking forward to an enjoyable evening flick.  The damned thing is absolutely horrendous, Peter Sellers or not, hardly a chuckle to be had.  i made it through 60 minutes in the hopes some horrid accident would disembowel the lead character and the whole factory would blow to bits.  An absolute shower.

Claude Davis/10

Thor. (Love and Thunder)

An absolute riot of colour, one-liners and slightly bizarre storylines.

Went with the kids...thankfully as I couldn't face the missus drooling over Chris Hemsworth for 100mins. Even I kept thinking, surely he can't actually be that perfectly hewn out of what appears to be solid muscle....it must be cgi.

Full of so many famous actors it must have cost an absolute fortune to make. 

A lot of stuff thrown at the wall (almost like one of the Lego movies) with the whole vibe pretty tongue in cheek and lots of throwaway stuff coupled with a bombastic rock soundtrack that i enjoyed. 

A world away from the Dark Knight sensibilities, but the kids enjoyed it nevertheless.  7.5/10.

7 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Thor. (Love and Thunder)

Went with the kids...thankfully as I couldn't face the missus drooling over Chris Hemsworth for 100mins. Even I kept thinking, surely he can't actually be that perfectly hewn out of what appears to be solid muscle....it must be cgi.

A lot of stuff thrown at the wall (almost like one of the Lego movies) with the whole vibe pretty tongue in cheek and lots of throwaway stuff coupled with a bombastic rock soundtrack that i enjoyed. 

A world away from the Dark Knight sensibilities, but the kids enjoyed it nevertheless.  7.5/10.

I wasn't going to go & watch this. I enjoyed the first couple of films but really didn't like it when he suddenly became "wise-cracking Thor" for Ragnarok - presumably following the comedic success of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Yesterday, Mrs Wolfie set up a play date for me (I wish she wouldn't do that) with the dad of one of my daughter's friends, so I suppose I'll have to go now.

King Richard.

After 5 mins of watching it I thought I wouldn't make it through to end due to Will Smiths portrayal of his voice. It came across to me as very annoying and unnecessary. However by the end I was applauding his sterling performance. 

Very interesting and thought provoking account of the Williams sisters rise to super stardom and their struggles along the way.

9/10

The Gray Man (gray being the u.s. spelling). Action thriller on netflix in the 'Bourne' style.

A few amusing one-liners, Gosling is solid and there you have it.

No substance (not that this type of film is meant to have that), a seeming desire by the makers to show how much money they had by jumping from city to city and a Chris Evans villain who came closer to resembling Freddie Mercury than Freddy Krueger.

Interesting that @TimRam said in the Bourne style because about 20 minutes in I said that I thought the score had a very Bourne-feel to it.

However, imho this is way more comic-book (not surprising when you see who made it) than Bourne.

Mrs Badger and her friend would have given it a solid David Swindlehurst, whereas me and my friend would have said it looked a lot more like Vic Moreland.

On 25/07/2022 at 05:53, Chester40 said:

Thor. (Love and Thunder)

On 25/07/2022 at 13:14, Wolfie said:

I wasn't going to go & watch this. I enjoyed the first couple of films but really didn't like it when he suddenly became "wise-cracking Thor" for Ragnarok - presumably following the comedic success of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Yesterday, Mrs Wolfie set up a play date for me (I wish she wouldn't do that) with the dad of one of my daughter's friends, so I suppose I'll have to go now.

The issue is that they’ve gone from wise-cracking Thor to almost idiotic man child. I’m a Marvel fan, and really liked Thor Ragnarok. This feels like more of the same, with similar story beats, and humour mixed with a darker side thanks to the bad guy.

However, it almost feels like a spoof at times. I like Taika Watiti but feel they have him free reign and it didn’t quite land. Like all of the MCU in Phase 4 so far, it also lacked some direction.

I can’t decide if it’s 5 or 7.5 out of 10. So let’s got for 6.25/10

16 hours ago, TimRam said:

The Gray Man (gray being the u.s. spelling). Action thriller on netflix in the 'Bourne' style. Stars Chris Evans and Ryan Gosling. First 15-20 mins are slow burning and then moves up several gears 8/10.

Yeah agree, saw this the other day and felt the same - slowish start then ramps up with some excellent set pieces. 

Nice to see Chris Evans do something other than Capt America and play a bad guy, although tbh I thought he was the weak link in the movie.  Still worth an 8/10 though as you say ?

6 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Yeah agree, saw this the other day and felt the same - slowish start then ramps up with some excellent set pieces. 

Nice to see Chris Evans do something other than Capt America and play a bad guy, although tbh I thought he was the weak link in the movie.  Still worth an 8/10 though as you say ?

Just watched this and agree.

Chris Evans probably just wanted to be a bad guy. 

On this evidence, he needs more practice.

Rewatch Sexy Beast the other night - such a well scripted film, Ben Kingsley in one of the best 'baddie' roles ever, his acting is just brilliant. Dave Langan / 10.

Supernova - probably as different to Sexy Beast as you could imagine. Colin Firth and Stanley Tucci are just wonderful as a couple going through how they face up to losing one of the couple to terminal illness. Very gentle, leaves you a little lost for words at the end. Didn't expect much, got much more therefore Tom Lawrence again Sheff Utd / 10.

The 355 - pitched as a bit of a mix between The Bourne Supremacy and Charlies Angels and ended up just being lots of shoot outs and explosions allowing ridiculous plot lines to lurch from one set of shoot outs and explosions to another. Not even the gorgeous Jessica Chastain could save this lead balloon. Blessing Kaku / 10.

20 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Rewatch Sexy Beast the other night - such a well scripted film, Ben Kingsley in one of the best 'baddie' roles ever, his acting is just brilliant. Dave Langan / 10.

Supernova - probably as different to Sexy Beast as you could imagine. Colin Firth and Stanley Tucci are just wonderful as a couple going through how they face up to losing one of the couple to terminal illness. Very gentle, leaves you a little lost for words at the end. Didn't expect much, got much more therefore Tom Lawrence again Sheff Utd / 10.

The 355 - pitched as a bit of a mix between The Bourne Supremacy and Charlies Angels and ended up just being lots of shoot outs and explosions allowing ridiculous plot lines to lurch from one set of shoot outs and explosions to another. Not even the gorgeous Jessica Chastain could save this lead balloon. Blessing Kaku / 10.

If you've seen him in interviews it's not really acting .  Seems a totally condescending t*** who adores himself.  Struggle to remember seeing anybody ruder in an interview setting.

On 26/07/2022 at 23:18, maxjam said:

Seems like I'm in the minority but- I didn't really get what it was supposed to be.  Almost felt like a spoof at times.

Great cast but acting was very hammy!

Gosling isn't convincing and Evans is like a baddie from a cartoon.

Didn't give two hoots about the storyline but some decent action. Compared to the recent Mission Impossible films its really disappointing. 

6/10