Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

Queenpins...on Netflix

Well I wasn't going to watch that shyte down the A52 so had a look on Netflix, This is taken from a true incident in 2012, A couple of Women are able to make millions of $s by defrauding the USA retail coupon industry.

It's classed as a comedy...yep a few laughs, I just though it was a nice film...so I'll give it a 6.5/10

Wonka 

Having heard all the praise, I was slightly disappointed. More songs than I needed and the scope of the story was quite 'small' which wasn't what I wanted.

Felt more like a stage show than a film almost. Definitely would take very for that transition. 

I preferred eg Paddington. 

Was fine but not a big children's blockbuster or an interesting story for me. I suppose it was more in the vein of a Mary Poppins which isn't me tbh.

6/10

Edited by Chester40

I went to Wonka expecting it to be pants to be honest. Everything is remake, reboot or reimagining at the minute. And pretty much everything is worse for it. 

I was surprised by Wonka though. It does seem more like a stage show than a movie and I'm not sure how well it would be sat at home rather than in a cinema. 

I like stage musicals though. 

7/10

I watched The Killer on Netflix. It's the assassination thriller that apparently everyone was/is talking about. I've since read how clever and witty is. How it's the thinking man's John Wick. (Boring)

I just thought it was bloated crap. I read about all the metaphors for corporate greed within the story and that just now seems like an ironic excuse for shameless product placement. 

Nobody, Taken, Bourne, John Wick... Even Leon. There's so many similar movies, daft and serious that are better imo

3/10. Less without Fassbender 

On 30/12/2023 at 19:43, Ram-Alf said:

Queenpins...on Netflix

Well I wasn't going to watch that shyte down the A52 so had a look on Netflix, This is taken from a true incident in 2012, A couple of Women are able to make millions of $s by defrauding the USA retail coupon industry.

It's classed as a comedy...yep a few laughs, I just though it was a nice film...so I'll give it a 6.5/10

Agree with this. Engaging leads and  enjoyed the interplay between the two investigators, and yes, a few laughs.

On 29/12/2023 at 00:00, Grumpy Git said:

Saltburn (on Amazon).

Completely ruined by absolutely shocking audio (the dialogue was inaudible). Should have gone to the cinema.

Won't be to everyone's taste, but Mrs Grumpy enjoyed it, so I'm happy! 😬

Just finished watching this. Found it very disturbing (won't know exactly how disturbing until I've had a night's sleep). 

5 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Currently watching one of my favourite films for the third time Reservoir Dogs, absolutely brilliant 

Saw that at the Showcase and wondered why there was a long line of very elderly people in front of us.  It really didn't seem their sort of film.  Assumption I suppose but an accurate one.  Poor buggers were on a trip out from a home and the 'carer' had brought them into the wrong film.  They didn't stay after the opening blood all over white leather scene.  Hope they got shifted to the right screening. 

Thoughts on Oppenheimer are simply that it's a great piece of cinema, adorned with a cast to die for and faultless art direction, so why did I not enjoy it?  I had a similar reaction to Flowers of the Killer Moon which I thought I was certain to enjoy, but both films seem so self-conscious that they were hard to warm to. I'll probably try them both again at some point, as perhaps it was my disposition and not that of the films, which both seem universally heralded.

6.5/10

That small grumble pales into insignificance compared to my dislike of The Killer which, as @Alph has reminded me, was probably the most bone-jarringly asinine movie I've seen in years. The plot: contract killer bungles job, much trouble ensues. Even with Fassbender in the lead role, it's hardly an original premise, but in this case we are treated to first person introspective of a man so bad at his job I'd probably kill him myself were he on my payroll. 

4/10

10 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Saw that at the Showcase and wondered why there was a long line of very elderly people in front of us.  It really didn't seem their sort of film.  Assumption I suppose but an accurate one.  Poor buggers were on a trip out from a home and the 'carer' had brought them into the wrong film.  They didn't stay after the opening blood all over white leather scene.  Hope they got shifted to the right screening. 

I was there and they did 😁

image.png.c4f19ac3441068b15969849cb0cd8fbe.png

18 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Poor buggers were on a trip out from a home and the 'carer' had brought them into the wrong film.  They didn't stay after the opening blood all over white leather scene.  Hope they got shifted to the right screening. 

Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

On 01/01/2024 at 00:35, Comrade 86 said:

That small grumble pales into insignificance compared to my dislike of The Killer which, as @Alph has reminded me, was probably the most bone-jarringly asinine movie I've seen in years. The plot: contract killer bungles job, much trouble ensues. Even with Fassbender in the lead role, it's hardly an original premise, but in this case we are treated to first person introspective of a man so bad at his job I'd probably kill him myself were he on my payroll. 

4/10

Review of Killer suprised me. I thought it excellent with Fassbender very good. But that's what we are here for, reviews from each end of the scale. That last bit might be the plot of Killer 2!