Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

I watched Dumb Money last night, hoping for a feelgood movie after yesterday's sad news. The movie documents the Gamestop short-squeeze during the pandemic telling the story through some of the rag-tag collective of 'little guys' who took on Wall Street. It's an easy and pleasant watch and an interesting tale even if you are already familiar with what happened. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13957560/

20 hours ago, Eddie said:

I've watched it several years ago.

Yep, tagged the wrong person, I meant @Tamworthram

After getting the ok from @Comrade 86 we watched The Covenant with Jake Gyllenhall on Amazon Prime last night.

Way better than I expected and better than a couple of more recent Guy Richie movies, especially that abomination bank heist movie with Jason Statham playing Jason Statham.

This was really well acted, devoid of the usual hoopla and fist-pumping that accompanies anything remotely military from a US director and very enjoyable.

Not surprised it had 7.5 on IMDB, I'd maybe even give it an 8.

Nigel Callaghan before he hit the pies/10 

5 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Yep, tagged the wrong person, I meant @Tamworthram

After getting the ok from @Comrade 86 we watched The Covenant with Jake Gyllenhall on Amazon Prime last night.

Way better than I expected and better than a couple of more recent Guy Richie movies, especially that abomination bank heist movie with Jason Statham playing Jason Statham.

This was really well acted, devoid of the usual hoopla and fist-pumping that accompanies anything remotely military from a US director and very enjoyable.

Not surprised it had 7.5 on IMDB, I'd maybe even give it an 8.

Nigel Callaghan before he hit the pies/10 

Glad you enjoyed it Bob.

I've persuaded the Mrs that we should while away the long winter evenings with some old classics.

Kicked off that plan tonight with Casablanca. Bogart on impeccable form, superbly supported at every turn. So many memorable lines. Beautifully shot. Booze and cigarettes ubiquitous throughout. 

10/10.

"99 Homes" (Netflix), a drama set in Florida in the aftermath of the sub-prime property crash, starring Andrew Garfield, Michael Shannon and Laura Dern. An unemployed construction worker (Garfield) desperate to buy back his repossessed family home goes to work for the unscrupulous real estate agent (Shannon)who repossessed it. Shannon is entirely believable as the crook, Garfield less so as a construction worker, but it's a worthy and relevant story. Willie Carlin (7.5)

10 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

The Railwayman with Colin Firth in the lead role, A true story of an ex Japanese prisoner of war who has flash backs/nightmares from his time as a prisoner.

A bloody good film...imo 👏

I saw that back when it was at the cinema. It was very good, as you say, but I certainly found it a difficult watch.

14 hours ago, Crewton said:

I think "Mr Jones" is still on iPlayer. I'd advise anyone who hasn't seen it yet to catch it while they can.

We've not learned anything this last 100 years have we, Except that Governments collaborate with each other irrespective of the atrocities some do to other peoples.

I watched a film a few years back about an English engineer who was imprisoned in Russia I think it was 1950/60 ish, Tortured then released to come back home...damned If I can remember the title 🤷‍♂️    

18 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

We've not learned anything this last 100 years have we, Except that Governments collaborate with each other irrespective of the atrocities some do to other peoples.

I watched a film a few years back about an English engineer who was imprisoned in Russia I think it was 1950/60 ish, Tortured then released to come back home...damned If I can remember the title 🤷‍♂️    

Are you thinking of The Courier with Benedict Cumberbatch? (spoiler: real life story of a British salesman persuaded to help get secrets out of Russia during the Cold War - caught and imprisoned then releaased)

8 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Are you thinking of The Courier with Benedict Cumberbatch? (spoiler: real life story of a British salesman persuaded to help get secrets out of Russia during the Cold War - caught and imprisoned then releaased)

That's the one Gaspode...cheers for that👏

Edited by The Last Post

The Old Oak - an important and timely offering from Ken Loach, a man whose powers and passion remain undiminished by time. Very much a tale for our times, The Old Oak portrays a dying Northern town, still reeling from pit closures and the hardships that followed and the conflicts arising when Syrian refugees pitch up. 

Alternately uplifting and heart rending, as always, Loach leaves space for hope and also reminds us of the inherent goodness of most ordinary folk and how hardship can make them seem less than they are. I loved this film. It doesn't preach, it's not in any way prescriptive and its devoid of the artifice and cynicism of so much glossier output. With Loach now in his 87th year, it's one to treasure. Very few if any these days are interested in making films that really inform, but if this is to be his last film, I'm happy to say it's right up there with the very best of his catalogue.

Dave Turner is nigh perfect as beleaguered landlord TJ, fighting to keep the peace and his head above water. New face, Ebla Mari, is also excellent in the role of Yara, a young refugee.

Stimac / 10