Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

12 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Leave the world behind (Netflix). 
A new disaster thriller about a group of people living through general weirdness and possible apocalypse. 

Seriously marmite reviews on IMDb. Definite love or hate response to this one due to the lack of spoonfeeding the plot, as far as I can make out. It lets you draw your own conclusions and many people seem to hate that.  
I was in the former group. This one will stay with me I think. 

8.5/10 and the best film I’ve seen this year. 

I'm at the other end of the spectrum, i'm afraid.  Absolute tosh, watched it with the wife and both think it was a waste of over two hours.  Expected better from the cast but i must need spoonfeeding i guess 😁

1 hour ago, NottsRam said:

I'm at the other end of the spectrum, i'm afraid.  Absolute tosh, watched it with the wife and both think it was a waste of over two hours.  Expected better from the cast but i must need spoonfeeding i guess 😁

I don’t get the references to the deer and other wildlife (ie flamingoes).  Basically toys with a natural catastrophe then forgets it instantly.why does the daughter disappear without a word, why is the fantastic fallout shelter accessible and abandoned.  Hate it more because there is a groundswell that if you don’t like it it is because you a thick.

12 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Leave the world behind (Netflix). 
A new disaster thriller about a group of people living through general weirdness and possible apocalypse. 

Seriously marmite reviews on IMDb. Definite love or hate response to this one due to the lack of spoonfeeding the plot, as far as I can make out. It lets you draw your own conclusions and many people seem to hate that.  
I was in the former group. This one will stay with me I think. 

8.5/10 and the best film I’ve seen this year. 

It won't be for everyone, but I really liked it. It certainly throws a cat amongst the pigeons. I'll not say more until others have had a chance to watch it. 

3 hours ago, NottsRam said:

No offence meant. I was commenting on a lot of the negative imdb reviewers from many who literally needed to know exactly what was happening and have the film explain it to them. I liked that there was a lot of uncertainty about what was actually happening & that made it all the more realistic to me.

If that was to suddenly happen in reality, do we really expect to be kept fully informed at all times as to what is happening, why and who's doing it?

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

I don’t get the references to the deer and other wildlife (ie flamingoes).  Basically toys with a natural catastrophe then forgets it instantly.why does the daughter disappear without a word, why is the fantastic fallout shelter accessible and abandoned.  Hate it more because there is a groundswell that if you don’t like it it is because you a thick.

No spoilers from me, but what I will say is that it's all very well having an amazing bunker under your house - as long as you're at home (with an unlocked bunker) when it all kicks off. How annoying would that be?!

Oh, and Elon Musk isn't happy about it (no spoilers), so it should earn extra points for that alone IMO.

Saw X

Hard to review really. I suppose it's a 'good' version of what you hope for. Or a particularly sick and gory version if it's not your thing.

Had an understandable and relatively engaging storyline for a Saw film.

All the clichés were there and the contraptions were especially horrifying. Some unwatchable for me. 

Gave me a headache almost,  but there's a hide 'behind the sofa' part of me that kinda was fascinated by it.

Not for the squeamish or anyone who didn't enjoy the others in the series. But a big improvement and closest to the first one in quality.

6 /10

Edited by Chester40

6 hours ago, The Last Post said:

Leave the World Behind...

Strange one for me, Could it happen? Over 2 hours long...so i'll give it a 6-10 🤷‍♂️ 

This was being discussed/reviewed on R5 today.

Both reviewers thought it was very funny. However, only one thought it was supposed to be funny. 

Did you think of it as a comedy?

1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

Both reviewers thought it was very funny. However, only one thought it was supposed to be funny. 

Not funny in the sense of laughing no...just odd, I got the gist from when the oil tanker beached.

Then I thought it was funny when the Flamingos took straight off from the swimming pool, Flamingos have to run to take off 👍

And when the drone was dropping the leaflets in the Countryside where no one can read them 🤷‍♂️

Now looking back 6-10 was too much...4.5-10

16 hours ago, ketteringram said:

'Very' funny is most definitely a stretch!

It's a drama really.  With interactions between individuals and group dynamics pushing against each other.  

With this ever present backdrop of 'something isn't right' gradually playing out.

Some films are just plain slow and boring, by accident.  This was purposely unrushed with lots of space to give you the chance to draw your own conclusions. 

The petty stuff that was happening seemed more important than whatever danger was impending. 

I mostly enjoyed it. The acting was great and it was well written, so it felt like a thriller but it kept reverting away from that. 

I can also see how on a Friday night when you're expecting a blockbuster it would feel quite limp.

Not quite sure I understand all the directorial decisions but I did find it engaging (although not very funny!).

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

'Very' funny is most definitely a stretch!

It's a drama really.  With interactions between individuals and group dynamics pushing against each other.  

With this ever present backdrop of 'something isn't right' gradually playing out.

Some films are just plain slow and boring, by accident.  This was purposely unrushed with lots of space to give you the chance to draw your own conclusions. 

The petty stuff that was happening seemed more important than whatever danger was impending. 

I mostly enjoyed it. The acting was great and it was well written, so it felt like a thriller but it kept reverting away from that. 

I can also see how on a Friday night when you're expecting a blockbuster it would feel quite limp.

Not quite sure I understand all the directorial decisions but I did find it engaging (although not very funny!).

I've just re listened to the show, as I was wondering if I had the right film. 

I did. They both thought it was hysterically funny. One of them thought it was not meant to be that way though. To them it was just bad. The other enjoyed it, as an hysterically funny comedy film. 

2hrs 56mins into Nihal Arthanayake show , radio 5 , 14.12.23. 

Wonka - excellent performances all around and thoroughly enjoyed it. Plenty of nods to Gene Wilder in the way Willy Wonka is portrayed and more than one reference to the original film. A lot of famous and not so famous but recognisable faces appear, Timothee Chalamet, Olivia Coleman, Paterson Joseph, Calah Lane to name a few and Hugh Grant makes an excellent Oompa Loompa with the songs and dances of the original.  

If you're a fan of the original then it's a must see, if you're a fan of the Johnny Depp version then you should just be ashamed of yourself.

Eranio/Pure Imagination  9/10 for me.

Spirited (Apple TV) a favourite of my wife’s last year, got Apple TV just to watch this Christmas film again. It’s very good. Fun take on the musical and Christmas genres, whilst also having some heart. Jokes work well. I could we it becoming one of my regular December watches around Christmas time. Shame I have to get a streaming service to watch it (and can’t just buy the physical medium)

Bisgaard/10 (fun to watch but didn’t realise it was also pretty good)

On 14/12/2023 at 12:09, The Last Post said:

Leave the World Behind...

Strange one for me, Could it happen? Over 2 hours long...so i'll give it a 6-10 🤷‍♂️ 

It just seemed intent on paying lip-service to as many conspiracy theories as possible.

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

It just seemed intent on paying lip-service to as many conspiracy theories as possible.

There was an incident in the film that actually happened in real life, In the deep sea around Japan by China.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/67461081

Could all in the film happen, I doubt it as the USA would have to sleepwalk into a mega disaster by taking their foot off their security gas pedal, But as we all know...there are dark forces out there who wish to control the Worlds resources 🙄