How will Coronavirus affect football?

Carl Sagan

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Did suggest this myself a while ago .  That or just average the points per game over the season to create a table . Won't be far of with that.

The other suggestion was to complete the season in july and august and just have a twenty three game league next season .  

At neutral grounds?

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Possibly, or just half the games at home, half away with a toss of a coin home or away for the odd game at the end of the season. 

Surely the games that are still to play, approximately half will be at home and half away anyway? Or do you propose doing a luck of the draw whereby teams could see what were difficult away games suddenly becoming home games? (I do realise that no fans will be at the games and thus eliminating some of the home advantage)

7 hours ago, richinspain said:

Surely the games that are still to play, approximately half will be at home and half away anyway? Or do you propose doing a luck of the draw whereby teams could see what were difficult away games suddenly becoming home games? (I do realise that no fans will be at the games and thus eliminating some of the home advantage)

no I was meaning for a shorter season next time round , not this one .  You could also have the shorter season based on geography like the old division 3 north and south top 1 in each section goes up.  two teams finishing second play each other. Less travelling needed.

Football, this is the arrival of hell and the handcart you deserve. Times and emergencies like these prove that the business model is not sustainable. 

Lets call it what it is... They are going to risk peoples health in the name of money. Players and all the staff and workforce needed to make this happen. 

Bundesliga already has 10 players contracted the virus after just a few days training and yet incredibly Merkel says its ok for the season to resume in May!! I really shake my head at that!! 

Im totally ok with this all collapsing and starting again. Reset button. Sky tv can do one aswell. All the powers that be in the game need to give their heads a wobble. 

We all miss football, of course we do. But im not even 1% for bringing it bsck because some/ lots of clubs could go bust. Lets go bsck to 1888 then. Start again. New model. 

2 hours ago, StockholmRam said:

Football, this is the arrival of hell and the handcart you deserve. Times and emergencies like these prove that the business model is not sustainable. 

Lets call it what it is... They are going to risk peoples health in the name of money. Players and all the staff and workforce needed to make this happen. 

Bundesliga already has 10 players contracted the virus after just a few days training and yet incredibly Merkel says its ok for the season to resume in May!! I really shake my head at that!! 

Im totally ok with this all collapsing and starting again. Reset button. Sky tv can do one aswell. All the powers that be in the game need to give their heads a wobble. 

We all miss football, of course we do. But im not even 1% for bringing it bsck because some/ lots of clubs could go bust. Lets go bsck to 1888 then. Start again. New model. 

I agree fully except I've realised that I don't miss football that much. Yes, I'd love it to continue but I could totally live without it as well. I've already arranged some other income than betting...

I agree with some of this, but you can't lay the blame solely at Sky's door, the majority of TV income for Premier League clubs in particular comes from overseas.

There maybe a tightening of purse strings for a while, like there was when ITV Digital went tits up.  But then it only takes a one upstart, like Abramhovic did back then, and the arms race starts up again.

6 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

I agree with some of this, but you can't lay the blame solely at Sky's door, the majority of TV income for Premier League clubs in particular comes from overseas.

There maybe a tightening of purse strings for a while, like there was when ITV Digital went tits up.  But then it only takes a one upstart, like Abramhovic did back then, and the arms race starts up again.

Im not laying the blame soley at Skys door. But they can still do one. Take your crass lack of class away from our sport and begone forever. Again, im quite happy to have one live match a week shown on a Sunday. A few european games featuring English clubs and match of the day. Total reset for me mate. 

Im not laying the blame soley at Skys door. But they can still do one. Take your crass lack of class away from our sport and begone forever. Again, im quite happy to have one live match a week shown on a Sunday. A few european games featuring English clubs and match of the day. Total reset for me mate. 

Ban cameras from all games. If you can't get to games listen to it on the wireless. Also swap the ball for the big heavy leather one that gave players dementia.

10 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Huge opportunity for the premiership to make the championship the premiership 2 and have a lot of the cash transferred as well - the EFL are hardly able to stop it 

Nice idea. EPL was created for the few not the many, CL is the same. The day we get a prem 2 it will because top 6 have left to join a european league with other european giants. When it comes to football, the saying money is the root of all evil is exactly that.

11 hours ago, philmycocu said:

Ban cameras from all games. If you can't get to games listen to it on the wireless. Also swap the ball for the big heavy leather one that gave players dementia.

...And bring back the pitch grid system thingy for wireless commentary... It's reputedly where the term "Back to square one" originated... probably... or not!  ?‍♂️

On 08/05/2020 at 08:39, Mucker1884 said:

...And bring back the pitch grid system thingy for wireless commentary... It's reputedly where the term "Back to square one" originated... probably... or not!  ?‍♂️

I remember seeing a programme with Victoria Coren Mitchell which hunted out the basis for various terms and the "back to square one" radio grid was debunked as being the origin of the phrase. Can't remember what she presented as being the true origin though.

I do remember I then tuned in for the next edition of the show the following week with my mother and the term she was researching was "c***". Not sure who was more uncomfortable. 

Oh and 5 subs per game is stupid.

Archived