How will Coronavirus affect football?

Carl Sagan

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Following the latest round of COVID-19 testing, the EFL can confirm that 1192 players and Club staff from the 24 Championship Clubs were tested over the course of Sunday 7 June, Monday 8 June and Tuesday 9 June, with six individuals testing positive from four Clubs.

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/june/efl-statement-covid-19-test-results3/

So are we now exempting players at the affected clubs from the self quarantine rules? Surely anyone who has been in contact with these 6 individuals now has to go into isolation which means that they won’t be available for the great restart....Potentially (as they’ve all been back in group training), that could mean large parts of a clubs squad locking themselves away for 14 days - do the authorities still expect clubs to play fixtures with half their players missing or is football so important that players potentially carrying the infection are expected to play and risk spreading the infection?

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

So are we now exempting players at the affected clubs from the self quarantine rules? Surely anyone who has been in contact with these 6 individuals now has to go into isolation which means that they won’t be available for the great restart....Potentially (as they’ve all been back in group training), that could mean large parts of a clubs squad locking themselves away for 14 days - do the authorities still expect clubs to play fixtures with half their players missing or is football so important that players potentially carrying the infection are expected to play and risk spreading the infection?

I thought that as Michael O'neill has tested positive, surely he has had some contact with the players.

23 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

19 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I thought that as Michael O'neill has tested positive, surely he has had some contact with the players.

My understanding is that all the strict measures they are taking at the training ground is to prevent the spread at a club where someone tests positive. This with all the testing allows them to have clear picture of the situation within each club and allow a restart of the league as safe as they possibly can. 

That does not necessarily mean that i agreee with football restarting btw. Not that important at the moment imo.

My understanding is that self quarantine rules and/or the process following Track & Trace affected all those who have been in "less than social distancing rules".  So being indoors plays a part, as does prolonged contact (more than the advised 15 minutes) and being at close quarters (closer than the advised 2m)?

I'm assuming that being outdoors, limiting (or omitting) the actual close contact (<2m and/or <15mins) to within the guidelines, and training in much smaller groups (ergo reducing the number of potential contacts), along with showering/changing etc at home, means that others at the training ground "should remain safe"?

I may be wrong, of course... and hey, I'm most certainly not defending the situation by the way, or agree with the process.  Quite the opposite, if truth be told.  

OK... I hold my hands up... I was wrong...

Maybe this behind closed doors football isn't going to be as pointless and soulless as I first thought.

I won't pretend I was running and jumping around the living room, but if we get any closer to that top six any time soon, I just might well be!

Let the excitement re-commence... 

?

35 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Is there less play acting and cheating etc without fans?

I've seen more flow to the games I've watched with no fans to play up to

Good point, also made on the BBC tonight, definitely less rolling around after a tackle. Actually one of the more enjoyable parts to having no crowd.

Have to admit, I wasn't too fussed about seeing the season resume, and would have quite happily have accepted any decision to finish the season as it stood, regardless of how they worked it out.

Happy to admit I was wrong, and am now glad things have resumed... let's face it, it could also still prove relevant to our own finishing position.

Charlton's form since the restart of the Championship season has proved that talk of ending the campaign on a points-per-game basis was "ridiculous", says boss Lee Bowyer.

The Addicks, who were in the relegation zone for the only time this season when it was suspended because of the coronavirus pandemic, have won their first two games back to climb out of the bottom three, with Darren Pratley's early header enough to beat QPR a week after they won at Hull.

While both League One and League Two were called off, with the final table decided by average points-per-game, Bowyer said using it in the Championship would be "scandalous".

"That is why I was not very happy with the way they were trying to do it," said Bowyer following his side's 1-0 victory over the Rs. "I knew it wouldn't have been right or fair.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51811758

23 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Today having watched the Rams and seeing our seats empty really brought it home, live football, really miss it.

Did you join in with a chorus of "Steve Bloomer's (the only one) Watching?"

• 5 months later...

Archived