Sign in to follow this  
Carl Sagan

How will Coronavirus affect football?

There's a general thread on novel coronavirus/Covid-19 in the Jim Smith room, but not one specific to the football season.

For a while people joked it would be the way to prevent Liverpool finally winning the Premier League again, but the reality is that it's very unlikely the football season can finish. So what happens then? Here's a BBC piece on the Premier League: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51805836

Italian games were moved to behind closed doors recently but now the players are refusing to play - there are still loads of people at a game behind the scenes, even when it's behind closed doors. The situation changes daily and it may be that the whole country is now quarantined, but if not yet, then why would a team from a "free" area travel to a quarantined area to play a match? Are they allowed to leave? It's not workable.

We will face the same issue soon in the UK. With infections doubling every four days, unless there's a massive unanticipated slowdown in infections then there will be no football within a month by which time there will be 50-150k cases here.

The Euros won't happen.

As the BBC piece says, how can you relegate people when the season doesn't finish, given the money involved? And what about the clubs expecting to be promoted, with the money involve? I don't know what the answers are but the questions are interesting.

For the Rams I'd expect the Reading game on 17th March to be the last at Pride Park this season with fans. If the gumps goes ahead in April it will be behind closed doors. It may very well not happen.

30 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Wow....you have drunk the Kool Aid haven’t you.!?

fgs, you’ve made me want to go make one now.

image.jpg

I don’t think we should be jumping to conclusions and assuming the season won’t be finished just yet, there’s no real indication that that is anything but a last resort at the moment. Personally, I think things going behind closed doors is likely to happen soon, and I think that is a sensible move. As part of a wider mass gatherings ban it should slow the spread a fair bit hopefully, but we’ll still be able to watch all the events on TV as normal. Unless things get drastically bad, I think that’s the only action that will need to be taken - provided we manage to ban pubs showing it etc etc so the problem isn’t deferred elsewhere. I don’t think there’ll be anyone live in attendance at games after the international break personally, so I don’t think any of us will be at PP for the Forest game. But I do think it’ll go ahead. I struggle to see how having around 50 people in a football stadium including cameramen etc is any worse than people going to a busy shop. 

In summary - I think the season will finish, but it may be behind closed doors. Next season may also be behind closed doors too, until we have a vaccine. I also think the Euros will go ahead, but that is certain to be behind closed doors - and we may rethink the logistics, potentially switching to one country (England) hosting the whole tournament so there’s not so much travelling across Europe.

In Italy the players and staff rebelled about playing behind closed doors. Why put themselves and their families in danger to entertain everyone else? Hence all sport in Italy is now cancelled. Here footballers are some of the wealthiest people in the country, but what point is wealth if you don't have your health? And even if you're OK you risk infecting people you know and love who may be more vulnerable, such as older relatives. Footballers will quickly refuse to do that here.

What makes this a dangerous disease is the long incubation period (two weeks) and that you may not know you're infected but you can still infect others. Hence it's impossible to stop it spreading.

I can't see how the Euros can be played, so it's possible the league season might pick up again in late summer if it looks as though the spread and the NHS are under control.

4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

In Italy the players and staff rebelled about playing behind closed doors. Why put themselves and their families in danger to entertain everyone else? Hence all sport in Italy is now cancelled. Here footballers are some of the wealthiest people in the country, but what point is wealth if you don't have your health? And even if you're OK you risk infecting people you know and love who may be more vulnerable, such as older relatives. Footballers will quickly refuse to do that here.

What makes this a dangerous disease is the long incubation period (two weeks) and that you may not know you're infected but you can still infect others. Hence it's impossible to stop it spreading.

I can't see how the Euros can be played, so it's possible the league season might pick up again in late summer if it looks as though the spread and the NHS are under control.

Thats pretty much how I see it playing out. 

By the time the Euros come around the idea of people travelling via air accross borders and attending large sporting events will seem irresponsible. 

If Italy, for example, were to play a game at Wembley, would the UK public be comfortable with the thought of 20kt Italians flying into the country?

Which is safer?

Thousands of people sit in the open air and watch a match, or force thousands of people to go to packed out enclosed pubs and watch a match?.

It's a tough one.

22 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Which is safer?

Thousands of people sit in the open air and watch a match, or force thousands of people to go to packed out enclosed pubs and watch a match?.

It's a tough one.

They won't do either if it's called off completely

Of course the European Championships are going to be canceled. Otherwise Finland could deputise and that's simply a no go. Such success doesn't belong to narrative of Finnish football.

And obviously I'd be able to see every game, that doesn't sound fair either.

Hate this useless virus, it's not even killing 20% of population which would at least help the planet.

1 hour ago, Van Wolfie said:

Which is safer?

It's a tough one.

Thousands of fans closely packed together with many huddled together in pubs beforehand, or 10's of fans grouped together in pubs with most fans watching from home.

57 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Forest get to the play offs but have to play behind closed doors? That would be awful 😐

Or the league basically say the season is null & void??  Imagine there wouldn't be a spike in coronavirus cases in Leeds & Nottingham, but the suicide rate would go through the roof!!!

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Thousands of fans closely packed together with many huddled together in pubs beforehand, or 10's of fans grouped together in pubs with most fans watching from home.

Only the ones with SKY - and I know a lot who haven't.

I simply can’t see the season finishing in a normal fashion and I expect all football to be cancelled in about two weeks 

as a side note lots of clubs won’t be able to pay their staff 

sky and BT would struggle to sell their not happening packages - which leads to football chaos 

football owners who can pay the bills become very rare - but we might get done for breaching FFP whilst others have less than no money to pay anything 

They ought to look at the next three games before international break and whether to postpone etc. Then cancel the international break, buys nearly a month break.

Although I'm not sure how much large outdoors events do spread it compared the everyday close proximity such as working.

If there's no intervention from bigger clubs or the efl, some lower league clubs already stretched to the limit are going to be in real trouble if their games are cancelled. 

1 hour ago, Shuff264 said:

They ought to look at the next three games before international break and whether to postpone etc. Then cancel the international break, buys nearly a month break.

Although I'm not sure how much large outdoors events do spread it compared the everyday close proximity such as working.

There's not many jobs where you're sat working within 3 inches of the person next to you, like at a footy match

10 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

Which is safer?

It's a tough one.

Going to pubs is one of the things that will get banned if we move into a more serious stage of corona.

Lets just crack on. If you're old, infirm or struggling with your health, stay sensible and keep out of harms way for a bit. It doesn't spread quite as easily as just being next to someone will do it. Why surrender to it? What good will it do? We have to interact on some level, purely for survival, so banning sports achieves nothing unless we're also banning work, social gatherings of all other kinds and having food rations delivered to people by the army. It's serious, but not serious enough to close the nation down for a couple of months.