How will Coronavirus affect football?

Carl Sagan

Evening Standard are reporting today that the National League have asked the FA to cancel all remaining fixtures and declare the season finished.

There remains the matter of how the season will be decided, with the 2 options being considered

(I) Declare season null and void

(ii) Award final positions on a "points per game" basis (but presumably this only changes whatever the current standings are if teams have played significantly different numbers of games?)

The option to be put to a vote and it is thought that - reluctantly - the outcome will be to declare the season null and void

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think you can award positions ?‍♂️ teams have games in hand, you can't relegate a bottom 3 & unfortunately can't give Liverpool the league 

I'd cancel this season start again next season. 

One thing I'd like to see. Just so we get football back is a promotion Cup ?‍♂️ a summer knock out tournament where all championship teams arebdrawn out of a hat in a mini Cup ?‍♂️ a 2-3 week tournament, the final at Wembley, the winner gets promoted, the Premier League has 21 teams when we restart & then 4 relegated next time ?‍♂️ could do it for each division make summer interesting ? 

Just noticed on the dcfc website that the FA have declared the season null and void for all leagues from the National League down.

Not knowing the structure of the women's game I don't know if that's the entire league or not, but it seems that the FA is able to take that decision without voting or anything. 

My CEO at work is planning on the basis of not being able to hold the late June board meeting in person. I'm thinking we are edging closer to the season being wiped out.

Forest Green have put their playing staff on furlough. I am surprised that other clubs have not followed their example.

May be not L2 level but championship and above going from 25K per week to 2.5k per month would be a bit a squeeze on household finance! 

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/forest-green-rovers-use-wage-3979490

I haven't read any of this thread since it was first started, so don't know what others have suggested. I personally don't think that any definitive decision should be taken until an absolute all clear has been declared. We have no idea how long we will be as we are.

China, Italy, France and Spain have been locked down for, or at least scheduled for, a month with probable extensions. Let's assume that at least three months are needed to declare an all clear (I'm convinced that will not be enough). The players will need time to get up to match fitness, that's another two weeks to a month as they will have had more time off than a normal close season. We're now looking at four months to even be able to start to play again.

If the all clear does run this course then it will be a very hard decision. If however more time is needed then we could be getting to the stage where a resumption where we left off is actually the sensible decision. Every team has at least 9 league games to play, and quite a few have cup games as well. Resuming the season at it's current point and playing the games reasonably spaced out then the season could end a little earlier than usual and the new season begin earlier. All of this would help for the planning towards the next World Cup.

I don't understand the big rush to finish this season. Surely we keep playing the current season, whenever that may be and have a truncated 2020/21 season? 

If for instance we don't get back up and running until September/October, that then gives you either 3 months to play out the existing games and switch to a February - October cycle ahead of a winter world cup in 2022, or if we can't resume until even later, then the option to set out at the start of a season the rules for a shorter 2021/22 season - scrap the league cup for a year, make all european games a 1 legged afair, only play each team once in the league for instance.

Surely that is better than just upsetting everyone by bringing this season to a premature end?

The above has absolutely nothing to do with me currently sitting in the top 4,000 in the world on Fantasy Premier League either...

Sith Happens
3 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Both Newcastle and Spurs put non-playing staff on furlough.....

Wonder if Levy will put himself on Furlough? Doubt it.

It does leave a bit of a sour taste when players earn more in a week than some staff will earn in a year , but I guess if they cant work then they cant work.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

It does leave a bit of a sour taste when players earn more in a week than some staff will earn in a year , but I guess if they cant work then they cant work.

Can the players work?

4 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Shows both clubs in a poor light. Bayern players took a wage cut to ensure non playing staff were ok without Govt funding. 

Im hoping some of the players and execs are doing something behind the scenes that we are not privy to. 

6 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Shows both clubs in a poor light. Bayern players took a wage cut to ensure non playing staff were ok without Govt funding. 

Im hoping some of the players and execs are doing something behind the scenes that we are not privy to. 

Barca players reportedly have taken 70% wage cut AND make further donations to ensure all non playing club staff are paid in full.

I just checked training program for Bundesliga team at the moment. It looked like this.

Monday: Running x 2

Tuesday: Running x 2

Wednesday: Running + gym

Thursday: Running x 2

Friday: Running

Saturday: Running + gym

Sunday: Active rest

That's a basically a pre-season training. For example Tuesday the lenght was 16 kilometers.

Archived