How will Coronavirus affect football?

Carl Sagan

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually don’t want to hear about football right now. Videos of players in their beautiful homes isolating and talking about how difficult it is. Employees of the clubs with no way to pay their basis bills. Journalists sucking up to players trying to defend their right to hang on to what they have while the people who cook their training ground meals and protect their fans on match days are desperately trying to keep their heads above water. It doesn’t feel right to me and I have no stomach for it. 

On 02/04/2020 at 22:34, Mostyn6 said:

I'm pretty sure you have to furlough your whole business to be able to claim the 80%

No you don't only furlough who you want to.

I know of a business local to me who are putting members of their production department on Furlough and then hiring unemployed workers in at a lower rate to keep the job going, in the very same department.

This business makes 15% plus earnings on their income year in and year out.

17 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Liverpool, that well known poverty stricken club has furloughed non playing staff. Very poor! Everton apparently are not.

Thing is Liverpool as a football club has always been like that. Take Take Take.

I see certain folk who fed us at the match aren't gonna be furloughed, and will have zero income,  as they were on zero hours contracts and/or worked as freelance.

Obviously, this is through the catering contractors Delaware, not DCFC directly.

17 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Liverpool, that well known poverty stricken club has furloughed non playing staff. Very poor! Everton apparently are not.

Should help strengthen the argument that the season should be voided.....

Bumping this up as several reports talking up a "plan" whereby if government allows, clubs can begin training may 16th, and resume competitive matches behind closed doors June 6th.

Apparently this will allow all games to be concluded inside 56 days, so end of July. 

Both premier league and efl gathering around this idea, the brainchild of Rick Parry (who presumably is the one planting the story).

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Bumping this up as several reports talking up a "plan" whereby if government allows, clubs can begin training may 16th, and resume competitive matches behind closed doors June 6th.

Apparently this will allow all games to be concluded inside 56 days, so end of July. 

Both premier league and efl gathering around this idea, the brainchild of Rick Parry (who presumably is the one planting the story).

What, the bloke from Status Quo?

Suggestions this morning that it may not be safe to have football played in front of packed out stadiums until a vaccine is available and rolled out (which could be 18 months....). Forest would be o.k. to re-open as they'll easily fit their fans in while maintaining social distancing, but we'd be jiggered.....

Sith Happens
13 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Scottish lower leagues calling it quits for the season.

from what I can work out the positions are final, how can that be fair when partick were 2 points behind with a game in hand 

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

from what I can work out the positions are final, how can that be fair when partick were 2 points behind with a game in hand 

Cue incoming legal challenge. The whole process of allowing Dundee to be kingmakers is severely flawed, they have a can of worms waiting, unless Partick have other “promises” made.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

The 2 losers are Thistle and Falkirk, but the clubs,made the rules on hitting a certain % of the votes and it was met, (just). 

The main advantages are now the cash due from the sponsors will be paid out ( most clubs are desperate for cash) and they have certainty of which league they are in next season and can plan accordingly. 

If the season was extended past June 1st then Stranraer wouldnt have any players on their books. 

The real scandal is in the Premier league. Hearts sit bottom along with Hamilton. Rather than force relegation they have announced a panel to look at reconstruction by adding 2 club's to make it 14 rather than the current 12. 

Who's been given the 2 lead roles to look at reconstruction? The chairperson of Hearts and Hamilton........

Anyway, I cant see it getting approved. It takes 11 clubs out of 12 to vote for it. Theres no way the Old Firm will want to split the tv money by another 2 clubs. 

Wait for the uproar in the blue side of Glasgow when the spl gets awarded to Celtic.  They are already planning a boycott of Beyonce at Hampden because its all an SFA conspiracy apparently... ??

22 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Suggestions this morning that it may not be safe to have football played in front of packed out stadiums until a vaccine is available and rolled out (which could be 18 months....). Forest would be o.k. to re-open as they'll easily fit their fans in while maintaining social distancing, but we'd be jiggered.....

image.thumb.png.f00e9b20cc8eb05dc6807d707b5bf30e.png

quiet tim and eric GIF

Archived