How will Coronavirus affect football?

Carl Sagan

Whilst I wouldn’t want any football played while hundreds of people are dying every day if the money people forced the premiership and championship clubs to play ‘behind closed doors’ I wouldn’t be actually interested in watching the game by a tv package or live streaming as professional sport should be played in front of live audiences, it would be boring. My preference is for this season the be abandoned and especially as a mark of respect to the many who have passed away and will pass away because this virus has gone nowhere.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fc Midtjylland, one of the bigger teams in Denmark, is planning to turn their main car park as a huge open-air theatre to show the games. It's next to stadium and have room for a 2000 cars.

Interesting idea and could suit them well as their stadium's capacity is about 11k.

2 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Fc Midtjylland, one of the bigger teams in Denmark, is planning to turn their main car park as a huge open-air theatre to show the games. It's next to stadium and have room for a 2000 cars.

Interesting idea and could suit them well as their stadium's capacity is about 11k.

As a drive-in (Stay in your car) type thing, I assume?

Could work... not sure we could be trusted to stay in our cars over here though, when that last minute winner goes in!  

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

As a drive-in (Stay in your car) type thing, I assume?

Could work... not sure we could be trusted to stay in our cars over here though, when that last minute winner goes in!  

Yep, exactly like that.

If I'd play with the stereotypes, I'd agree. It wouldn't work in England. ?

9 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Bundesliga aims to restart as soon as 9th of May. Without the audience, obvs.

So if it does  how can they tackle each other, I mean keeping 2 meters apart would be impossible, unless they wash their hands after, 

where would away teams stay with all the hotels shut. if they are tested it doesn't mean you cant catch it 10 mins later. 

Im really unsure about this

10 hours ago, BodminRam said:

So if it does  how can they tackle each other, I mean keeping 2 meters apart would be impossible, unless they wash their hands after, 

where would away teams stay with all the hotels shut. if they are tested it doesn't mean you cant catch it 10 mins later. 

Im really unsure about this

Yep, it's going to be difficult and only thing certain is uncertainty. German FA has 41 pages thich "etiquette" for the ghost games so at least it's quite detailed. 

And I wouldn't mock their ability to test the purity of the blood. They have some history of it...

If the season was to re-open behind closed doors, how do clubs monitor and maintain that players, officials & staff are virus free??  Only one way, testing.  If the government & NHS can't maintain a coherent testing process how will football clubs do so??  You'd have to test everyone involved in a match day immediately after each game, where would you get the kits from??  And doesn't it look pretty bad that football clubs can readily test their staff, whereas front line staff have to beg for it? 

I know they've been trying to keep up a brave face through all this, but as the days pass, it's looking more & more likely that we won't see live football for a very long time...

On 23/04/2020 at 06:09, Dimmu said:

Yep, it's going to be difficult and only thing certain is uncertainty. German FA has 41 pages thich "etiquette" for the ghost games so at least it's quite detailed. 

And I wouldn't mock their ability to test the purity of the blood. They have some history of it...

Article in the Times goes through some of the measures in the 41 pages guidebook. Very detailed, very impressive they've done their homework, in short very German. However, there is no mention about what something quite important,  protecting the players during the 90 odd minutes the match is taking place. Everyting else seems covered, pre and post match to be fair but still...

I just can't see this season finishing. I think the fairest way would be to look at the season after 23 games when everyone had played each other once. I especially think it would be fair because that would leave Forest in 7th place.

3 hours ago, sage said:

I just can't see this season finishing. I think the fairest way would be to look at the season after 23 games when everyone had played each other once. I especially think it would be fair because that would leave Forest in 7th place.

The season hasn't been played under those conditions though. It continues or it's void for me.

11 hours ago, sage said:

8 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

The season hasn't been played under those conditions though. It continues or it's void for me.

There's no guarantee that after 23 games, each team has played each team once (I haven't checked to see if that is actually the case).
Some teams could... in theory, have played all the lower half teams away, and the upper half teams at home, effectively gaining an advantage over another team that has played the top half teams away, and the lower half at home.

I agree with Roy, finish the season as per the rules agreed at the start, or void the season.  In my opinion, the only fair way to change the rules part way through the season is if every single team agrees to that change.  I doubt they could ever come up with a mutually acceptable/agreeable plan for all.

33 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

There's no guarantee that after 23 games, each team has played each team once (I haven't checked to see if that is actually the case).
Some teams could... in theory, have played all the lower half teams away, and the upper half teams at home, effectively gaining an advantage over another team that has played the top half teams away, and the lower half at home.

I agree with Roy, finish the season as per the rules agreed at the start, or void the season.  In my opinion, the only fair way to change the rules part way through the season is if every single team agrees to that change.  I doubt they could ever come up with a mutually acceptable/agreeable plan for all.

I meant when everyone has played each other once. So based on those 23 games. Though I agree it may well end up void.

I just like the idea of Forest being forced into 7th place.

1 minute ago, sage said:

I meant when everyone has played each other once. So based on those 23 games. Though I agree it may well end up void.

I just like the idea of Forest being forced into 7th place.

Ah!  Understood!  ?

Still not sure the home/away effect is totally fair, but... and it is a massive but... I do like your final outcome, so I'm not totally against your idea!  

Sod it... let's do it!  ?

Archived