How will Coronavirus affect football?

Carl Sagan

Sith Happens

i don't see how any team can celebrate being handed the title when there is close on a quarter of the season left to play.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Twatsport are reporting that 6 people from 3 clubs (apparently could be players or backroom staff) have tested positive following the first round of testing prior to the big restart - guess they might have to have a re-think on the dates for any resumption....

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

i don't see how any team can celebrate being handed the title when there is close on a quarter of the season left to play.

Agreed - by cancelling the season they've invalidated the competition and so any 'titles' awarded are meaningless. Play the games out to their conclusion or void the whole thing - anything else is pointless....and wide open to a legal challenge as is likely from Hearts following their 'relegation'.

2 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Twatsport are reporting that 6 Premier League players from 3 clubs have tested positive following the first round of testing prior to the big restart - guess they might have to have a re-think on the dates for any resumption....

Not quite, it was that 6 players or officials have tested positive out of approx 750 tests (0.8%) which was in line with what was expected, and is comparable with the rate of positive tests they had in the Bundesliga prior to their training commencing.

4 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Not quite, it was that 6 players or officials have tested positive out of approx 750 tests (0.8%) which was in line with what was expected, and is comparable with the rate of positive tests they had in the Bundesliga prior to their training commencing.

I know ? - I corrected the original post while you were typing your reply ?

6 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Agreed - by cancelling the season they've invalidated the competition and so any 'titles' awarded are meaningless. Play the games out to their conclusion or void the whole thing - anything else is pointless....and wide open to a legal challenge as is likely from Hearts following their 'relegation'.

If the season is invalidated, the clubs would have to pay back Sky / BT money thats paid out for final league positions. 

That would force clubs to the wall. 

They cant play the remainder of the games. Some clubs dont have enough players. They also can't afford the cost of the testing thats required, and Id be amazed if EFL clubs can.  Did I see £10m being mentioned? 

Theres also the moral issue of testing players / officials. I read yesterday they would be required to take 3 tests every 2 weeks. Id prefer nurses / teachers / other key workers to be tested before the football family. 

By awarding titles and relegation it recognises the effort made in the 2019/2020 season, albeit a curtailed version. 

Its not ideal, I agree, but no one has suggested any better solution that keeps the majority happy. Remember, 85% of the clubs agreed to whats happened North of the border. 

Awarding titles or deciding promotion or relegation based on an arbitrary decision when the competition hasn’t been concluded destroys the integrity of the whole football pyramid. If the powers that be decide to go down this route then I’m ( and I suspect a number of other people) finished with professional football in its current form....

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

Awarding titles or deciding promotion or relegation based on an arbitrary decision when the competition hasn’t been concluded destroys the integrity of the whole football pyramid. If the powers that be decide to go down this route then I’m ( and I suspect a number of other people) finished with professional football in its current form....

I agree, i do think @CWC1983 is right though that the deciding factor will not be integrity but money.

Perhaps instead of paying based on final position they just split all prize moneys equally.

3 hours ago, Mick Brolly said:

A big well done to Serge Aurier for finding a barber with 2 metre long wooden arms.

_112379482_aurier_insta.thumb.png.ac21beccb4171e4a7afdfd527febc916.png

Thick Serge was unaware that he could only play “Rock, Paper, Scissors” with a member of his own household. Not quite as thick as Kyle Walker, but to be fair to Kyle he has now gone two weeks without sleeping with someone from another household.

4 hours ago, Mick Brolly said:

A big well done to Serge Aurier for finding a barber with 2 metre long wooden arms.

_112379482_aurier_insta.thumb.png.ac21beccb4171e4a7afdfd527febc916.png

The headline in the press here was Dumb, Dumber, Dumbest.  That about covers it.

Tottenham say it will be handled within the club.  i am not one for handing more powers over to police than necessary, but repeatedly willfully putting people at risk, should not be handled by his employers, but by national authorities IMO.

I hope the EFL are overseeing the testing, this does look a tad suspicious following their letters to end the season. 

Whilst I don’t want to dismiss valid concerns and cast doubt over test results, it does seem to be affecting the more vocal clubs at the foot of the table, including the Premier League, does come across as a desperate attempt to use this virus as a way to avoid relegation. 

Archived