How will Coronavirus affect football?

Carl Sagan

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Anyone surprised that Newcastle Utd were the first Prem team to go for fourloughing of non-playing staff?

Gotta love Mike Ashley.

Not a surprise, nor that Spurs were close behind them - two clubs I have very little time for......

The lawyers will do ok out of it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8173173/Coronavirus-UK-voiding-Premier-League-EFL-seasons-cause-chaos.html

Of course according to some it's all a plot against Leeds.

“For example what if the decision was solely made to retain Leeds as an EFL club as they have global support and offer a better sell to broadcasters?"

https://motleedsnews.com/news/newspaper-journalist-details-200m-scenario-where-leeds-and-west-brom-could-bankrupt-the-efl

19 minutes ago, Shipley Ram said:

The lawyers will do ok out of it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8173173/Coronavirus-UK-voiding-Premier-League-EFL-seasons-cause-chaos.html

Of course according to some it's all a plot against Leeds.

“For example what if the decision was solely made to retain Leeds as an EFL club as they have global support and offer a better sell to broadcasters?"

https://motleedsnews.com/news/newspaper-journalist-details-200m-scenario-where-leeds-and-west-brom-could-bankrupt-the-efl

Leeds fans are only slightly behind Liverpool in playing the victim card.....

7 minutes ago, Pastinaak said:

Ouch. If this dude is calling you out for being morally corrupt then you're probably morally corrupt.

I’m afraid he’s correct though, isn’t he? (That was tough to say!) 

Footballers/clubs have dealt with all of this in a disgraceful way. The PFA too are just as bad, if not worse. Why can’t a footballer just say I’ll take a 10% hit? Why wait for the PFA? It’s a shambles. Ordinary folk are suffering potentially life changing damages financially, whilst footballers still get there 60-100 grand a WEEK. I’m sure the PFA will put something in place, but it will look like a reaction to the crisis due to the backlash. Football clubs certainly shouldn’t be able to use the 80-20% scheme, not in the premier league. Not with the money clubs turnover. Disgraceful.

Football is broken I’m afraid, this is further proof. A sorry state of affairs. Shame on you Levy, Ashley and co.

2 hours ago, enachops said:

I’m afraid he’s correct though, isn’t he? (That was tough to say!) 

Footballers/clubs have dealt with all of this in a disgraceful way. The PFA too are just as bad, if not worse. Why can’t a footballer just say I’ll take a 10% hit? Why wait for the PFA? It’s a shambles. Ordinary folk are suffering potentially life changing damages financially, whilst footballers still get there 60-100 grand a WEEK. I’m sure the PFA will put something in place, but it will look like a reaction to the crisis due to the backlash. Football clubs certainly shouldn’t be able to use the 80-20% scheme, not in the premier league. Not with the money clubs turnover. Disgraceful.

Football is broken I’m afraid, this is further proof. A sorry state of affairs. Shame on you Levy, Ashley and co.

Why hasn’t the FA suggested that the Premier League clubs should consider “Furloughing” the Millionaire playing staff.

This in turn would provide many hundreds of thousands of pounds per week to pay non playing staff and help finance the fight against COVID-19. 

Let’s see them get by in the real world. 

What amazes me further is that someone of stature in our game (eg: Harry Kane the England captain) hasn’t come out on his own and lead by example. 

Wouldn't it be all warm and fuzzy if some mega-bucked player came out and said "Whilst the club continue to pay me, I'm gonna "sponsor" Mr X, who works in the ticket office, and pay his wages for the duration of the Covid suspension.  Sod it, I'll sponsor Theresa Tealady as well."

Imagine all his team mates doing the same (for other employees... obvs... don't see why Mr X & Mrs T should get it all... the greedy duckers!)

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

I'm pretty sure you have to furlough your whole business to be able to claim the 80%

You don't.

Sith Happens
9 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I'm pretty sure you have to furlough your whole business to be able to claim the 80%

Sorry Mostyn6, noticed my reply may have been a bit blunt (late). They don't. The business I work in has put quite a few on furlough but certainly not all, if i was to guess i would say maybe 25% of staff.

I believe you can't chop and change, so if you make an application then its another 3 weeks (i think) before you can make a change. So its a risk. You can't rotate staff so if you have 4 in a team, put 2 on furlough then the other 2 go down with coronavirus then you are in a bit of a mess.

19 hours ago, Pastinaak said:

Ouch. If this dude is calling you out for being morally corrupt then you're probably morally corrupt.

He's got a point but i must be missing something here. Forest green rovers have put all their staff on furlough including players, what is stopping other clubs from doing the same ? Genuine question. I am reading in various places that players are waiting on PFA before acting etc.. but for the clubs who are struggling it seems like an option

On 24/03/2020 at 17:33, Mucker1884 said:

Anyone know if this can be done for sky sports pass on NowTV?

I have a multi month deal running until 26th April, with the next payment (£20) due to go out on 26th March (2 days from now).

Live chat is currently unavailable, and the "Nowbot" (Really!!!) is about as much help as a viral facemask made from a pair of Val's old knickers!   

Re the sky sports thing...

Without further prompting from me, I had an email from NOW TV yesterday, effectively extending my Sky Sports pass at £20 per month for the next 6 months (As opposed to the standard £33.99).  Can still be cancelled at any time (Each new month starts on the 26th for me), so I'll review things monthly.  Happy to continue paying £20 for now... although I haven't watched anything on Sky Sports since the footy was suspended... but I do wonder whether it'll be worth cancelling, and hope for a similar deal when things get back to normal?  I'll probably see how things are looking in 3 weeks time (before the 26th April, and another £20 going out).

Anyone else had a similar "Offer"?  (I use that term loosely of course, given the circumstances!)

1 hour ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

He's got a point but i must be missing something here. Forest green rovers have put all their staff on furlough including players, what is stopping other clubs from doing the same ? Genuine question. I am reading in various places that players are waiting on PFA before acting etc.. but for the clubs who are struggling it seems like an option

Aaron Collins might be able to get away coping on 2k per month.  Kevin de Bruyne might, only perhaps, be less comfortable accepting that as his wage for the foreseeable future.

51 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

PL giving £20M to the NHS, £125M to the EFL and have announced that the season is suspended indefinately......

Turns out the £125M to the EFL is an advance which includes solidarity payments, parachute club payments and academy grants, so perhaps not quite as generous as it initially appeared.....EFL annouce they are also suspending the season indefinately....

This season is over. I can't quite believe the FA etc are still debating it.

Solution - either finish it later in the year - whenever it can start - who knows when that will be. Then have a shortened 20/21 season.

Or .... teams in automatic promotion spots go up, Liverpool get the big prize, next season extra teams get relegated to get the divisions back to 20 or 24 teams.

4 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Turns out the £125M to the EFL is an advance which includes solidarity payments, parachute club payments and academy grants, so perhaps not quite as generous as it initially appeared.....EFL annouce they are also suspending the season indefinately....

Yeah its rubbish. I imagine the parachute payments are just advancements on those duento clubs and won't be distributed. 

Archived