How will Coronavirus affect football?

Carl Sagan

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I suppose every industry has to adapt to the new normal, and football is no different. Players being ruled out of matches on the day because of a positive test will be one of the more major changes. But, I guess you just have to think of it like any other injury and get on with it...

I wonder how long it will be before a club claims foul play, and demands a re-test?
"Star player tests positive, despite showing no symptoms" type thing, just hours before their game of the season against their biggest rival!
"Facebook pics emerge, of Lab-technician wearing the shirt of the opponent at garden BBQ 2 weeks ago" type revelations!

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I wonder how long it will be before a club claims foul play, and demands a re-test?
"Star player tests positive, despite showing no symptoms" type thing, just hours before their game of the season against their biggest rival!
"Facebook pics emerge, of Lab-technician wearing the shirt of the opponent at garden BBQ 2 weeks ago" type revelations!

We will end up with VAR at the testing stations!?

Sith Happens
23 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

You'd hope they were deep cleaned first if second hand

Or at least washed their hands for 20 seconds

52 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52646282

Would be gutted to be a hearts fan when just 4 points from safety

Really harsh isn’t it. There just has to be a better way to resolve things than just relying on points per game. Quite frankly I don’t really see why the SPL isn’t playing out - unless I’ve missed something, the Scottish government haven’t banned them from doing so at some point. 

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Really harsh isn’t it. There just has to be a better way to resolve things than just relying on points per game. Quite frankly I don’t really see why the SPL isn’t playing out - unless I’ve missed something, the Scottish government haven’t banned them from doing so at some point. 

I agree. The points per game basically means that the table stays almost identical, how many times over the last 5, 10, 15 whatever seasons has the table stayed as it is with 9 games to go? They should take form into consideration as well, as well as the results from the reverse fixture of the remaining games. 

Sith Happens
8 minutes ago, rynny said:

I agree. The points per game basically means that the table stays almost identical, how many times over the last 5, 10, 15 whatever seasons has the table stayed as it is with 9 games to go? They should take form into consideration as well, as well as the results from the reverse fixture of the remaining games. 

If they do the same in the championship then Luton will go down yet they are 5th in the current form table, Hull who are 6 pts ahead of them will be safe but they are bottom of the form table, Forest and Preston will make the play offs despite being 18th and 19th in the form table and only a handful of points ahead.

What if all of Hulls remaining games are against top 6, yet Luton's are bottom half teams? No idea if it is but thats when any form of points per game is not fair.

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Agreed, tough on Hearts.

At the other end of the table, they may as well award the title to Celtic for the next couple of years whilst they're at it given they have no realistic opposition at the moment. 

I know we all like to see our own team win every game but, I really don't understand how Celtic fans can get excited and celebrate winning the one horse race year after year. Talk about groundhog day.

57 minutes ago, rynny said:

Yep, there’s got to be a way we can weight things better than some leagues have done so far. I appreciate in some leagues it simply isn’t possible to finish the season out, but you really have to make sure the method used to determine final standings is the fairest one possible - the way the SPL have done it certainly doesn’t feel that way, and it’s no surprise to see Hearts building a legal battle.

13 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Agreed, tough on Hearts.

At the other end of the table, they may as well award the title to Celtic for the next couple of years whilst they're at it given they have no realistic opposition at the moment. 

I know we all like to see our own team win every game but, I really don't understand how Celtic fans can get excited and celebrate winning the one horse race year after year. Talk about groundhog day.

Agreed, it’s a pretty pointless competition at the top these days. There’s been one team a level above the rest for many years now in Scotland.

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Its all about 10 in a row. Celtic determined to achieve it, Rangers throwing the kitchen sink on stopping it.

If Gerrard thinks he's felt pressure on another potless season this year, wait until next season if he gets off to a slow start. 

He's got lucky this year. Their season was falling apart at a rate of knots and it was stopped before the real difficult questions were being asked from the stands. 

Hearts? They've won 4 games all season. Big crowds, big wages, massive squad. They shouldn't be bottom but the league doesnt lie.

To keep them up would mean league construction, and they don't have enough votes, yet, to force it through. 

They had to call the league now. Some clubs wont have enough players to field a team after 9th June. 

21 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Because it means Rangers didn't. Celtic fans would celebrate almost as hard for Aberdeen 1st, Rangers 2nd, because Rangers didn't win. And when Rangers get back on top, gers fans will be EXACTLY the same (such is the old firm)

Archived