How will Coronavirus affect football?

Carl Sagan

It is understood the use of neutral venues remains one of the key contentious issues with the bottom six also anxious to have relegation taken off the table in the event the season cannot be completed.

Brighton, Aston Villa and Watford have been vocal critics of the proposal saying removing home advantage will have a damaging effect on the integrity of the league

Having no relegation wont then.

This is going one way . No relegation . Top two going up and no playoffs . The premier league will pay a compensation to those who finish the season in places 3-6 in all leagues due to the knock on down the leagues. A 22 league premier with the league cup for top flight teams being removed to compensate for extra games . This loss of revenue will have a fair impact on league one and two clubs, expediating the demise of some over the coming year .

That's my best guess anyway.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coronavirus: No professional sport in England until 1 June at earliest

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/52619111

Step two ...- which will not be allowed to start before 1 June - includes "permitting cultural and sporting events to take place behind closed doors for broadcast, while avoiding the risk of large-scale social contact".

The document states that reopening venues that attract large crowds, such as sports grounds, "may only be fully possible significantly later depending on the reduction in numbers of infections".

14 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

12th June restart still on target then... much to Brighton and Watford’s disappointment 

It probobly doesnt affect the EPL as much of the EFL, but I read that 9th June was the date the majority of players contracts run out. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/danny-rose-says-f-morale-22011530

Danny Rose has been backed by fans after becoming the latest Premier League star to insist football should not return with people dying from the coronavirus.

Tottenham ’s England star said: “The government's saying bring back football to boost the morale of the nation. I don't give a duck about the nation's morale. People's lives are at risk!

Certainly has a point doesn't he...

12 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/danny-rose-says-f-morale-22011530

Danny Rose has been backed by fans after becoming the latest Premier League star to insist football should not return with people dying from the coronavirus.

Tottenham ’s England star said: “The government's saying bring back football to boost the morale of the nation. I don't give a duck about the nation's morale. People's lives are at risk!

Certainly has a point doesn't he...

One out, All Out!

Bring it on!  

Football really should be way down the list of priorities, for now, and for many, many months to come.

1 hour ago, CWC1983 said:

It probobly doesnt affect the EPL as much of the EFL, but I read that 9th June was the date the majority of players contracts run out. 

I thought it was the 30th? Either way up we are gonna run past the expiration date, so short term extensions need to be agreed.

Football is so far up itself right now that it is an embarrassment to the country. Tens of thousands are dying, thousands of businesses are going bust, millions are suffering real financial hardship, the elderly are petrified of going out. Then you have a few vested interests throwing their teddies out of the pram because they may  suffer a bit themselves.

Football has been in dire need of a reset for years, this may just be the catalyst.

20 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

12th June restart still on target then... much to Brighton and Watford’s disappointment 

What is the schedule for concluding the season, having some sort of break/pre-season and beginning the next season in that scenario? I have got lost among all of the various contrary pronouncements form various bodies..........?

7 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

What is the schedule for concluding the season, having some sort of break/pre-season and beginning the next season in that scenario? I have got lost among all of the various contrary pronouncements form various bodies..........?

I believe the plan is to have the current league season concluded by the end of July (27th I think?), and then play the FA cup at the start of August, with the champions league at the end of August. There’s been some conflicting reports about next season, but I’d think the logical thing to do would be to start in September. That would, rather harshly, leave teams in the Champions league with no break, but I can’t really see an alternative. At least for us we will end up with the month of August off/ for pre season regardless, so it won’t be too bad at this level.

17 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I believe the plan is to have the current league season concluded by the end of July (27th I think?), and then play the FA cup at the start of August, with the champions league at the end of August. There’s been some conflicting reports about next season, but I’d think the logical thing to do would be to start in September. That would, rather harshly, leave teams in the Champions league with no break, but I can’t really see an alternative. At least for us we will end up with the month of August off/ for pre season regardless, so it won’t be too bad at this level.

Ok, so I haven't missed some great plan publication - it all seems still to be at a very high level (aka "finger in the air").

Those players that want zero risk should be able to opt out if they want but they need to think carefully as zero risk point won’t occur until a vaccine is developed and rolled out. Could mean their playing comebacks for Sept 2021 season.

In the mean time the majority of the country will be working in the grey “minimising risk” world which has started already this week.

I think most people will agree that risk to the players health is lower than many in society.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52651502

Championship clubs hope to gain government clearance for a 25 May return to regular training, as part of plans to resume the 2019-20 season.

It is understood a target restart of 6 June has been discussed but clubs still anticipate a more likely 13 June date, in line with the Premier League.

All 24 clubs held a conference call on Wednesday, after an EFL board meeting...

40 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So a read through of the draft protocols that would apply on resumption of training has this amongst others....

"No tackling, opposed activities of any kind or congested training are allowed"

As well as others such as restricting groups to 5 max.

How do they expect to move from that to a match environment within 2-3 weeks?

Sounds far-fetched and/or half baked to me.

Read this article about Lookman in the bundesliga and it talked about the RB Leipzig coach waiting for test results this morning before naming the team. This could be the "new normal" where on the day of the game players aren't available having trained all week or even worse game is called off if many players test positive. I guess given that there are no fans as we stand it is not as much of a problem but still

2 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Read this article about Lookman in the bundesliga and it talked about the RB Leipzig coach waiting for test results this morning before naming the team. This could be the "new normal" where on the day of the game players aren't available having trained all week or even worse game is called off if many players test positive. I guess given that there are no fans as we stand it is not as much of a problem but still

I suppose every industry has to adapt to the new normal, and football is no different. Players being ruled out of matches on the day because of a positive test will be one of the more major changes. But, I guess you just have to think of it like any other injury and get on with it - we’ve got squads for a reason. Besides, as time goes on I suspect that positive tests will become a rarity.

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I suppose every industry has to adapt to the new normal, and football is no different. Players being ruled out of matches on the day because of a positive test will be one of the more major changes. But, I guess you just have to think of it like any other injury and get on with it - we’ve got squads for a reason. Besides, as time goes on I suspect that positive tests will become a rarity.

You are righ but it will affect all sectors of activity but it will not regarded as just another injury. The way the life of fans and people in general are affected by CV19 it will be felt diffrently compared to player X is injured or failed late fitness test.

Archived