How will Coronavirus affect football?

Carl Sagan

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Contracts end when they end - clubs could extend them by a month or whatever is required and the player will still be eligible to play. Loan extensions would have to be agreed between clubs. New signings may or may not be eligible - the EFL/PL will have to make a decision.

the highlighted part is the problem......

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the postponement lasts long enough that any of the season would go beyond the end of June and see player/staff contracts expire I don't see how the season could avoid being voided.

You can't force said players/staff to sign new short term contracts to see them to the end of the season. 

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

If the postponement lasts long enough that any of the season would go beyond the end of June and see player/staff contracts expire I don't see how the season could avoid being voided.

You can't force said players/staff to sign new short term contracts to see them to the end of the season. 

Surely it'll be treated in a similar way to the January transfer window?

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Not much of one. A simple vote is all that will be required.

If we are able to continue playing from the 4th, the season will only be pushed back by 2 weeks, and the loans/contracts/signings issue won't actually be an issue.

Huge if, though.

Not surprising as this is potentially a devastating virus. The UK governments worst case scenario is an 80% infection rate with a 1% fatality rate. If that worst case scenario was to happen throughout the world we are looking at 64 million fatalities worldwide.

Hopefully the figures are drastically over stated and the end result isn't nearly as bad. Makes you think though!

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

Surely it'll be treated in a similar way to the January transfer window?

I don't see how there could be a transfer window at all. 3rd-6th getting a transfer window before/during the playoff games?!

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That's when a decision has to be made on whether new players can be registered.

Whether or not they can sign/register new players (which I couldn't imagine anyone being allowed to do) doesn't impact the fact that clubs will be losing players/staff to the ends of their contracts if it postpones long enough.

I really feel like the season will be voided if it gets that far.

Just had a look at our fixtures, we have 3 postponed games, Millwall (A), Reading (H), Preston (A). Its highly likely we will have more games moved, but currently we have 3 midweek slots left before the end of the season will have to be moved 

8 minutes ago, jkew31 said:

Just had a look at our fixtures, we have 3 postponed games, Millwall (A), Reading (H), Preston (A). Its highly likely we will have more games moved, but currently we have 3 midweek slots left before the end of the season will have to be moved 

Let's move them all to say...3pm Saturday

Clearly a few folk out there are assuming that everything re-starts on 4th April.  I'm sure The EFL mean to re-evaluate on or before then.  There is, of course, no clue as to when this season will restart... if at all.

As each day passes, the more confident I am that we will reach my ideal preference... Season nullified.  No promotion, no relegation, All dogs continue to be barred from the New Wembley. 

This isn't looking all that bad after all!   :-)

Oh... and seeing as EFL are now sat twiddling their thumbs with eff all owt else to do, perhaps we can now sit down and sort out the little matter of our P&S charge?    

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Question Mark What GIF by moodman

I was surprised at @MuespachRam's initial response to this thread but it makes you wonder if you're in some sort of bubble and the rest of the world is going on as normal. Because I sometimes work (when not being a dead cosmologist) at the Future of Humanity Institute I'm surrounded by people who spend their whole time working on pandemics and how to prevent them. So we've had a no touching policy (not because anyone's imposed anything but because it's the mathematically sensible thing to do) and have cancelled public events such as book tours that would be happening now.

What you hope is that in a few months' time people look back and say "Well that was an enormous over reaction - nothing much happened". That sort of ridicule is the price you sometimes have to pay for doing your job.

4 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I was surprised at @MuespachRam's initial response to this thread but it makes you wonder if you're in some sort of bubble and the rest of the world is going on as normal. Because I sometimes work (when not being a dead cosmologist) at the Future of Humanity Institute I'm surrounded by people who spend their whole time working on pandemics and how to prevent them. So we've had a no touching policy (not because anyone's imposed anything but because it's the mathematically sensible thing to do) and have cancelled public events such as book tours that would be happening now.

What you hope is that in a few months' time people look back and say "Well that was an enormous over reaction - nothing much happened". That sort of ridicule is the price you sometimes have to pay for doing your job.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think you were in a bubble with that case. @MuespachRam just loves being consistently wrong.

The Chinese Government have confirmed that the Coronavirus was accidentally started by an unnamed Wuhan scientist, who is also president of the Wuhan Branch of Manchester United Football Supporters Club, and an Old Trafford Season Ticket Holder.
He is believed to be distraught at just how serious the situation has now become, and stated "I am truly sorry to all my friends on Mercy Side UK, that Liverpool FC Club may now not achieve EPL Championshipiness for first time in long, long, long... long... time, and hope we can all laugh together in future, when things get back in normalness."

It is reported that his facial expression throughout his press conference was not clear, due to wearing a face mask, but his shoulders were juddering throughout.  This is believed to be a side-effect of the virus.

5 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

The Chinese Government have confirmed that the Coronavirus was accidentally started by an unnamed Wuhan scientist, who is also president of the Wuhan Branch of Manchester United Football Supporters Club, and an Old Trafford Season Ticket Holder.
He is believed to be distraught at just how serious the situation has now become, and stated "I am truly sorry to all my friends on Mercy Side UK, that Liverpool FC Club may now not achieve EPL Championshipiness for first time in long, long, long... long... time, and hope we can all laugh together in future, when things get back in normalness."

It is reported that his facial expression throughout his press conference was not clear, due to wearing a face mask, but his shoulders were juddering throughout.  This is believed to be a side-effect of the virus.

I'm not sure if that's true.

Can @Bob The Badger tell us if it is a side-effect?

Archived