v Manchester United (H) - Matchday Thread

Sean

3 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Before there's the inevitable pile on I want to say I applaud Cocu's team selection and for sticking to his principles. Despite the score we've been very unlucky and this game could have gone either way. But the experience gained will stand us in good stead in big games next season and that's what matters most if we want our golden generation of youngsters to take us into the Premier League. 

I second this. Great to see him putting faith in the youngsters and we have not  disgraced ourselves against an in form Premier League team.

My only gripe is that we kind of sacrificed the U19s Champions League match!

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought it was a decent effort considering we had 6 or 7 academy players in the team.

3 chances that on another day could have been goals, surprised at least 1 wasn’t! 

Sibley done himself no harm in getting a start for the remaining 10 games. I hope he starts against Forest.

1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Thought Bogle and Lowe were excellent up to the first goal. Errors have crept in but that's true of the entire team so not really sure why they should be singled out.

The first goal was half hour in where up until 5 minutes before I would say the whole team had played well. Moments before that Lowe got tangled up in a dangerous area leading to a United counter. Him and Knight being guilty of losing us momentum more than others. 

Since the goal they have made many "sloppy" errors. Including Lowe ignoring 4 occasions of wide open passes into midfield to go back to Forsyth. 

I only said they'd been really bad. Nothing more. 

Think we did alright. Max Bird and Sibley in particular. Massive night for the academy and no disgrace at all. 

Think we had just as good a set of chances first half as they did, and let in two pretty lucky goals really. Can’t afford the luck not to be with you in games like this and in fairness to them, they did turn up and didn’t put in a half-arsed performance. 

Really good effort second half until the 3rd. No heads dropped. Wasted the good chances we had. Always tough when you don’t take what you do get but absolutely no shame. Them extending it was then inevitable. 

Atmosphere was diabolical. Day trippers everywhere. Chants didn’t last a chorus. Boos and jeers at keeping the ball and not running round like headless chickens to get bypassed. Streams of people leaving at 3. Did they expect us to roll up and batter them like non-leaguers or something? The players did not deserve it tonight. Embarrassing. 

Don’t agree whatsoever with any criticism Cocu is getting for the line-up. This is the future. This is next season. This will be our team bar a few tweaks and I’m absolutely here for it. Young, homegrown, talented, committed, eager, quick, athletic... it’s something I’ve been calling out for for months. Yes he could have maybe played a better centre back pairing, but I don’t mind at all. What an experience for them, and it fills you with both pride and hope. If you didn’t enjoy the performance from some of them kids then I really don’t understand what you’re after. 

On one hand immensely proud and excited after that. On the other, disappointed and disgusted. The life of a Derby fan. 

7 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Before there's the inevitable pile on I want to say I applaud Cocu's team selection and for sticking to his principles. Despite the score we've been very unlucky and this game could have gone either way. But the experience gained will stand us in good stead in big games next season and that's what matters most if we want our golden generation of youngsters to take us into the Premier League. 

Don’t agree with the very unlucky part. Scoreline doesn’t flatter them imo.

10 minutes ago, Alpha said:

They've had suicidal bad touches, hospital passes, played United onside and been caught between going tight and defending the space. 

Struggling to think of much they did wrong except for Lowe coming too narrow for the 3rd. 3 men unmarked outwide, so even if Lowe was further across, a ball would still have been played out there and a cross in anyway. Forsyth’s more to blame for losing Ighalo on the two goals. 

Just now, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

For me we may well win the game if either of Sibbo's shot or Waggy's header is just a few inches the other way. Just a matter of inches. Whereas they took the lead against the run of play with a mishit shot into the ground that bounces up, hits Lingard in the back and loops over Roos. So I'd say we were unlucky.

Just now, Alpha said:

The first goal was half hour in where up until 5 minutes before I would say the whole team had played well. Moments before that Lowe got tangled up in a dangerous area leading to a United counter. Him and Knight being guilty of losing us momentum more than others. 

Since the goal they have made many "sloppy" errors. Including Lowe ignoring 4 occasions of wide open passes into midfield to go back to Forsyth. 

I only said they'd been really bad. Nothing more. 

Indeed but I don't think they've been as bad as you make out. That's ok too isn't it? Not digging you out mate just saying I don't agree with you! 

Sloppy in the second half I'll take, but 'really bad' just seems harsh to me.

Oh well, never mind.

Shame about Waggy's header and rooney's free kick but second best all night to a much superior team. Man U looked like there were taking it seriously and played well, we looked like an average second division side with youngsters who were trying.

Sibley was the positive in that though. Hopefully he grows into the first team picture. Irritated that the first two goals were a bit lucky, hit into the gound and then getting the break out of the challenges, had they gone differently they may well have scored others, they were dominant for most of the match.

I look forward to the future fairly positively - Lowe, Bogle, Bird and Knight have moved to being first team players and Sibley isn't far behind. 

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

For me we may well win the game if either of Sibbo's shot or Waggy's header is just a few inches the other way. Just a matter of inches. Whereas they took the lead against the run of play with a mishit shot into the ground that bounces up, hits Lingard in the back and loops over Roos. So I'd say we were unlucky.

With Sibley’s effort maybe, but it was already 2-0 by the time Waghorn missed his chance.

They also had a few chances to add to their tally.

3 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

I assume he meant unlucky not to score. We did have some good efforts.

I don't think anyone looking at 62 to 38% possession and 26 to 13 shots on goal could say manure were unlucky winners.

Does anyone know how many tickets we have Man U fans? They had a quarter of the stadium!

Anyway, we have it a good go and deserved a goal. much rather see that than the defensive display from Sheffield Weds last night. 

Bogle needs to learn how a back 4 play offside, played them on three times in the second half which sums up our defensive frailties. 

Archived