Coronavirus

1of4

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

Alzheimers and dementia deaths though...they are life-limiting incurable illnesses . Generally people at the end stage of those illnesses have no quality of life anyway, and mostly die from other stuff . If coronavirus had taken my Nan a couple of years early it would have been a blessing for her and us.

I know MD from Private Eye was saying Coronavirus for the infirm elderly with dementia is a blessing, which I find hard to accept but I do understand his point of view. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I know people not leaving when requested is causing a headache for my HR team. I strongly suspect they could tell you you must work from home under H&S at work regs.

Except as a manufacturing facility, our place is Covid-Secure. (Although we were recently audited and got absolutely hammered - such as every time we made a change, did we get all 230 employees to sign a notification to say they were aware of the change and so on....).

Also - There are people that must be in work. So it has to be a secure environment and so on.

Anyway - I've pulled the mental health card trick as well, see if that convinces them to allow me to stay. All pretty pointless, we're in lockdown now and I'm still here lol.

29 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Talk to your employer. I have a mix of people who either love or hate WFH. We have to have some people on site, so the building is open anyway. As an employer I have to do what I can to minimise risk but also be aware of other issues the staff might have. Where I can we allow people to mix rotas. Day in, day out etc. It seems to work for us and finds the middle ground. It is just a recommendation that staff who could work from home do so, that's all. If you have your own office etc, should be fine.

Each business will be slightly different though, so engage with HR or however has the responsibility. 

I am - I'm actually on the Corona Mgt team (We don't do side ways passing). Just being part of a huge corporation they want to call some shots done by people not based on the site. 

We'll see - I like the 35 minute drive in/out. I like the fact work is work. The banter in the office with the folk still in etc.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

I know MD from Private Eye was saying Coronavirus for the infirm elderly with dementia is a blessing, which I find hard to accept but I do understand his point of view. 

I only understand it because my Nan hung on for 10 years in  care home not knowing who she was, where she was or who any of her visitors were. But you're right. I feel heartless saying it because you are conditioned to see human life as sacred. I wouldn't wish that ending on anyone though

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

I am - I'm actually on the Corona Mgt team (We don't do side ways passing). Just being part of a huge corporation they want to call some shots done by people not based on the site. 

We'll see - I like the 35 minute drive in/out. I like the fact work is work. The banter in the office with the folk still in etc.

Ah okay, large companies will be a little more tied and have to be a bit more one size fits all.  We ain’t so big, so I can be more flexible..

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Talk to your employer. I have a mix of people who either love or hate WFH. We have to have some people on site, so the building is open anyway. As an employer I have to do what I can to minimise risk but also be aware of other issues the staff might have. Where I can we allow people to mix rotas. Day in, day out etc. It seems to work for us and finds the middle ground. It is just a recommendation that staff who could work from home do so, that's all. If you have your own office etc, should be fine.

Each business will be slightly different though, so engage with HR or however has the responsibility. 

Do you run your own business?

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Seriously, what sort of country are we becoming.

Absolutely shameful.

A complete erosion of our civil liberties.

And to think of all of the protests that people were happy to participate in when it related to something happening thousands of miles away.

Seems to have been a result of the care home reporting the daughter. 

Probably putting pound notes before the old ladies best interests. 

They could probably see the 800 pound a week they get going down the drain. 

Whatever the reason it's awful. 

11 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

Seems to have been a result of the care home reporting the daughter. 

Probably putting pound notes before the old ladies best interests. 

They could probably see the 800 pound a week they get going down the drain. 

Whatever the reason it's awful. 

Yes probably a little bit more to it than meets the eye, but the end result is shameful for all parties involved.

7 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

Parts of Denmark going into lockdown due to people being infected with covid-19 mutation from mink.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54833459

Fingers crossed it’s not a more dangerous mutation and that Denmark keep it isolated.

Been in touch this week with the family and friends in France to see how it is and it is bad. Villages with barely a 1000 soul and a handful of cases in the first wave now seem to have 50 to 60. 25% of people admitted to hospitals end up in ICU, their lockdown is not as strict as the first one, similar to here really with kids still at school, but people are already talking about a 3rd wave post Xmas if stricter measure aren't brought in.

1 hour ago, jimmyp said:

Parts of Denmark going into lockdown due to people being infected with covid-19 mutation from mink.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54833459

Fingers crossed it’s not a more dangerous mutation and that Denmark keep it isolated.

Fat chance, awful shot of a man in a hazmat chasing an escaping mink down the road!

8 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Our place is doing the rota, office staff, HR, Senior management working from home in a rota for some days a week.

Makes no difference to us masterbakers* in the factory who can't work from home.

*not a typo or swear filter victim.

Archived