Coronavirus

1of4

13 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Source: Snopes

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-disinfectants-covid-19/

Christ, this is like taking candy from a baby.

Excellent...so just to confirm he didn't say anything about bleach and didnt encourage people to inject themselves with disinfectant, which is what Piers Morgan said he did. Thank you for confirming.

I think taking Candy from a baby must have become a bit harder since you have been under house arrest.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

is he though? I can't find very much on him at all beyond lockdown sceptic websites who are obviously all over his claims

Which is why I suspect he is just a contrarian enjoying the attention.

'Dr Mike Yeadon has a degree in biochemistry and toxicology and a research based PhD in respiratory pharmacology. He has spent over 30 years leading new medicines research in some of the worlds largest pharmaceutical companies, leaving Pfizer in 2011 as Vice President & Chief Scientist for Allergy & Respiratory. That was the most senior research position in Pfizer. Since leaving Pfizer, Dr Yeadon has founded his own biotech company, Ziarco, which was sold to the worlds biggest drug company, Novartis, in 2017'

So I'd say just dismissing him as  a contrarian is, quite honestly, silly.

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

it's some weird deplatforming that allows him to be a regular guest on national Talk Radio

He's no different to the Piers Morgan you are slating elsewhere. A guy having opinions for money and to gain public notoriety

Best ignored

Yeah we’ve seen balanced debate of differing views from day one on this ???, suppose nobody pays Whitty and Vallance ?

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

'Dr Mike Yeadon has a degree in biochemistry and toxicology and a research based PhD in respiratory pharmacology. He has spent over 30 years leading new medicines research in some of the worlds largest pharmaceutical companies, leaving Pfizer in 2011 as Vice President & Chief Scientist for Allergy & Respiratory. That was the most senior research position in Pfizer. Since leaving Pfizer, Dr Yeadon has founded his own biotech company, Ziarco, which was sold to the worlds biggest drug company, Novartis, in 2017'

I think more experts would take him seriously if his claims weren’t riddled with huge leaps of logic that are illustrated with highly inflated and speculative statistics, of which most infectious disease experts dispute. 

I think the fact that Europe is quite clearly in a second wave now doesn’t  help his position. 

23 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Steve’s response should be interesting ?

3 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

I think more experts would take him seriously if his claims weren’t riddled with huge leaps of logic that are illustrated with highly inflated and speculative statistics, of which most infectious disease experts dispute. 

I think the fact that Europe is quite clearly in a second wave now doesn’t  help his position. 

So would you not say he’s qualified as a bit of an expert himself ? Seems claims and graphs and charts and projections riddled with huge leaps and easily proved massive inaccuracies doesn’t hold Whitty and Vallance back any?

23 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah that bio seems to be repeated word for word on multiple websites. I guess he wrote it himself ?

Anyway, assuming his credentials are sound, he's still just one voice against a huge weight of other experts who clearly disagree.

That's why I'm dismissing him as a professional contrarian - I'm not dismissing his opinions. There is a difference. He might be right

But then most of his thrust seems to be based on this notion of no one being able to say how accurate the PCR test is.

In which case - he can't know either. Which rather debases his own argument

4 minutes ago, Archied said:

So would you not say he’s qualified as a bit of an expert himself ? Seems claims and graphs and charts and projections riddled with huge leaps and easily proved massive inaccuracies doesn’t hold Whitty and Vallance back any?

Yes he quite clearly has the experience and qualifications. 

He doesn’t seem to have the support of his peers though. 

5 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

Yes he quite clearly has the experience and qualifications. 

He doesn’t seem to have the support of his peers though. 

Which is the important bit. Medical professionals consider peer reviews to be the best way to check the accuracy of research. Peer review helps prevent the publication of flawed medical research

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/281528

Any medical professional who wants to be taken seriously seeks out peer review to give their research credence

He does not have this, does not even seem to care that he doesn't have it because his audience is Talk Radio listeners (and yes i mean that in the most perjorative sense) and not his medical peers

7 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Which is the important bit. Medical professionals consider peer reviews to be the best way to check the accuracy of research. Peer review helps prevent the publication of flawed medical research

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/281528

Any medical professional who wants to be taken seriously seeks out peer review to give their research credence

He does not have this, does not even seem to care that he doesn't have it because his audience is Talk Radio listeners (and yes i mean that in the most perjorative sense) and not his medical peers

You 77 th brigade boys are relentless, must be all that military training?

30 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Yeah that bio seems to be repeated word for word on multiple websites. I guess he wrote it himself ?

Anyway, assuming his credentials are sound, he's still just one voice against a huge weight of other experts who clearly disagree.

That's why I'm dismissing him as a professional contrarian - I'm not dismissing his opinions. There is a difference. He might be right

But then most of his thrust seems to be based on this notion of no one being able to say how accurate the PCR test is.

In which case - he can't know either. Which rather debases his own argument

He isn't just once voice though is he?

He is just one of many voices that is ignored because he doesnt agree with the official narrative. 

4 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

But we're comparing Covid19 first wave and second wave. His argument that there is "no second wave"

It's that simple - comparing anything else is just building stats to fit your argument

I think stats showing 'we are so very busy we need to cancel operations' are very unconvincing. 

1) The NHS have always cancelled appointments (I know of a few occasions from personal experience!). 

2) Maybe they are just cancelling operations pre-emptively to be ready for this 2nd wave that's supposedly coming. So in fact the two arguments are just self-fulfilling, each other. 

3) Which hospital /trust /manager in this current climate is going to be saying 'Nah, we are sitting round scratching our behinds, looking at empty beds and really don't need any additional funding, give it to the hospital in the adjacent town where their business manager isn't so recklessly unfazed about being guilty in hindsight of letting people die due to a lack of funding. 

4) Maybe the real issue is huge numbers of staff are self isolating, eg due to being near someone with mild symptoms who has tested positive. But instead of going for a test and quickly coming back to work, because they have no symptoms they are being told not to have a test but merely self isolate for 2 weeks etc. 

I realise these are the type of unprovable musings that conspiracy theorists always rely on....but I don't feel 100% confident at all that figures arent being manipulated to drive an agenda that MAY be very misguided. 

31 minutes ago, maxjam said:

The entire world and his dog are after Trump, Snopes aren't being entirely accurate here.

First 50 secs is the bit about disinfectants.

You're not understanding this game are you?

What you're supposed to do is accuse Trump of saying something, provide some evidence that doesn't back the claim up, and then accuse everyone of being stupid for pointing it out.

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

He isn't just once voice though is he?

He is just one of many voices that is ignored because he doesnt agree with the official narrative. 

What is the official "narrative" then?

Are we supposed to believe that a government that clearly really didn't want a second lockdown because they know it will knacker the economy further and cause all sorts of social problems way beyond "people dying of covid" is now ploughing ahead with it? For what reason has this "narrative" been established?

I'll wait

7 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Same question - what's the agenda being driven and why? I don't get it.

Jeez Steve , what people are doing here is actually asking that question and bloody rightly so , ropey numbers from day one , absolutely make no sense regulations and actions including policy that would obviously be drastic for people in care homes, the total attack on anybody putting a different view or daring to ask questions ,

but hey if none of this troubles you then let boris lead you by the hand ?

12 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

What is the official "narrative" then?

Are we supposed to believe that a government that clearly really didn't want a second lockdown because they know it will knacker the economy further and cause all sorts of social problems way beyond "people dying of covid" is now ploughing ahead with it? For what reason has this "narrative" been established?

I'll wait

I think that is the point, a lot of people dont get it.

A Government that doesnt want a lockdown but then uses falsified and exaggerated information to enforce one.

9 minutes ago, Archied said:

Jeez Steve , what people are doing here is actually asking that question and bloody rightly so , ropey numbers from day one , absolutely make no sense regulations and actions including policy that would obviously be drastic for people in care homes, the total attack on anybody putting a different view or daring to ask questions ,

but hey if none of this troubles you then let boris lead you by the hand ?

Strange that the people that have spent the last year telling us Boris is a professional liar, and should not be trusted under any circumstances, now complain that we dont trust him...you couldnt make it up.

Archived