Coronavirus

1of4

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

We are at 500 Covid deaths per day now. There were just 500 deaths in the first full week of total lockdown in March.

Are we?

7 day average is less than 300 from what I can see.

Also does this mean that the 1000 or so patients on ventilators will all be dead in 2 days time?

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Today's death count three times that of yesterday. I'm not sure the apparently lower R number will be much comfort to the family or friends of the afflicted. 

Again 59 million people. I also feel sorry for those who are losing their jobs and those who will lose their lives for none Covid.

I would have liked to have seen 1-2 more weeks of the tiers before the lock down.

Deaths up today, of course that’s sad, but the deaths will go up for the next 1-2 weeks before it improves.

43 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Are we?

7 day average is less than 300 from what I can see.

Also does this mean that the 1000 or so patients on ventilators will all be dead in 2 days time?

Fair enough..I should have said 500 for the last 2 days, which could lead to 500 per day average over a week. Hopefully not and it will start to drop. Still pretty mind blowing that we've had as many in a day twice than we had in a week at the start of the full lockdown.

5 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Fair enough..I should have said 500 for the last 2 days, which could lead to 500 per day average over a week. Hopefully not and it will start to drop. Still pretty mind blowing that we've had as many in a day twice than we had in a week at the start of the full lockdown.

Are there any figures available re flu deaths?

Interesting to see how they compare to previous years

51 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Are there any figures available re flu deaths?

Interesting to see how they compare to previous years

Between January 2020 and August 2020, death certificate mention of cause of death for the respiratory diseases in question were as follows:

• Pneumonia     3619
  • Influenza         394
  • Covid-19     48,168

Source: ONS

Sorry I haven't got any more recent figures - I don't think they are published weekly.

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Between January 2020 and August 2020, death certificate mention of cause of death for the respiratory diseases in question were as follows:

• Pneumonia     3619
  • Influenza         394
  • Covid-19     48,168

Source: ONS

Sorry I haven't got any more recent figures - I don't think they are published weekly.

What are the comparative figures for the prior year, or the 5 year average? I cant seem to locate them.

29 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What are the comparative figures for the prior year, or the 5 year average? I cant seem to locate them.

You need to ask them under the Freedom Of Information Act, and then if they have a few spare weeks, they might create a report for you.

Otherwise, you will have to use the NOMIS webservice.

From the ONS website...

This information can be obtained from our NOMIS webservice. This is an interactive web tool that allows you to create your own tables by sex, geographic area, age, and underlying cause of death. You can obtain mortality data from 2018-2013, using J09-J11 cause code for Influenza

We may be able to create a custom output. Information on deaths registered as suicide along with other special extracts and tabulations of mortality data for England and Wales are available to order. These will be subject to legal frameworks, disclosure control, resources and agreements of costs (where appropriate). Such enquiries would fall outside of the Freedom of Information regime and should be made to: Health.Data@ons.gov.uk.

10 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

https://fullfact.org/health/non-covid-deaths-homes/

Im aware more people have died at home instead of in hospital.

Just wondered if you had a link to show that cancer and suicide deaths were up overall? 

Perhaps The Metro is his source (the article referred to in the FullFact response)?

Saying that, I saw similar headlines in the Daily Mail - it's likely that both papers used the same half-truths to produce similar articles.

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Perhaps The Metro is his source (the article referred to in the FullFact response)?

Saying that, I saw similar headlines in the Daily Mail - it's likely that both papers used the same half-truths to produce similar articles.

Yes maybe. 

The Daily Mail are printing some absolute garbage at the moment.

Tim Spector from the Zoe app was a little miffed at how some of his comments have be used out of context. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Indeed, alarming figures - an extra 2 suicides per 100,000 people in England and Wales compared to the average over the previous 20 years. This equates to approximately 1200 additional people (over the average figure) who tragically decided to take their own lives in the last year.

Now compare that number with the Covid-19 death figures - just shy of 50,000 in 8 months to date with the winter to come. We are currently running at 300 - 400 a day, with a sure-fire increase 'locked in' based upon the rapid rise in infection rates 2-3 weeks ago.

One figure is serious. The other is an unmitigated disaster.

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

Indeed, alarming figures - an extra 2 suicides per 100,000 people in England and Wales compared to the average over the previous 20 years. This equates to approximately 1200 additional people (over the average figure) who tragically decided to take their own lives in the last year.

Now compare that number with the Covid-19 death figures - just shy of 50,000 in 8 months to date with the winter to come. We are currently running at 300 - 400 a day, with a sure-fire increase 'locked in' based upon the rapid rise in infection rates 2-3 weeks ago.

One figure is serious. The other is an unmitigated disaster.

Thats just for suicides though - what about everything else?

I read the other day that dementia deaths were approx double the 5 year average, as were deaths from alzheimers.  We all know that cancer referrals are down over 75% and millions of screenings have been missed.  Add to that the numerous other injuries and illnesses that will go untreated or missed leading to death, we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Meanwhile, we're slowly succumbing to fear and an authoritarian state that is apparently drawing all of its conclusions from a small group of scientists promoting doomsday statistics and losing all of our humanity in the process.

24 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Thats just for suicides though - what about everything else?

I read the other day that dementia deaths were approx double the 5 year average, as were deaths from alzheimers.  We all know that cancer referrals are down over 75% and millions of screenings have been missed.  Add to that the numerous other injuries and illnesses that will go untreated or missed leading to death, we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Meanwhile, we're slowly succumbing to fear and an authoritarian state that is apparently drawing all of its conclusions from a small group of scientists promoting doomsday statistics and losing all of our humanity in the process.

If you could find that data it would be good to see. I know it's going to be worse with lockdown, but I've no idea how much worse.

Archived