Coronavirus

1of4

4 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

This is all so depressing. What a waste of a year and seems like everything we've done is for nothing. 

Depends on how you look at it - if we'd not bothered with the initial lockdown, Christmas would be a lot cheaper - as there'd be no need to buy granny and grandpa presents...

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

This press conference was the one widely derided weren't it. We are now at 200 deaths per day rolling average by end of October. I guess those deaths numbers will keep going up, we'll have a big lockdown again, then the same dis-believing of science will all go round again...

Strange one, isn't it? We have a low death/infection rate and people question what the point of lockdown was. It goes up, and people question why we bothered if it didn't work.

4 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

This is all so depressing. What a waste of a year and seems like everything we've done is for nothing. 

Really as Derby fans you would have thought we would be used to it.

Chin up mate - come Spring you will be in a  curry house with all your mates at 11pm, throwing up the green liqueur they gave you for free that never sold at Christmas.

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

It's a total bluff. Unless they decided to drag every officer in the force in on Christmas day then there is absolutely no chance that they break up anyone's Christmas gathering.

Yep.

They will be after pub lock-ins and twerps who have sold tickets.

It's hard isn't it. 

I'm pretty sure that the authorities aren't too bothered about the usual family gathering. 

They are more concerned about large groups getting peed up and snogging each other to the extent it becomes obvious to neighbours who are being sensible. 

It's just that you can't legislate using such examples and so a blanket ban comes into force. 

31 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

It's hard isn't it. 

I'm pretty sure that the authorities aren't too bothered about the usual family gathering. 

They are more concerned about large groups getting peed up and snogging each other to the extent it becomes obvious to neighbours who are being sensible. 

It's just that you can't legislate using such examples and so a blanket ban comes into force. 

I dont see them coming and breaking up number 5's christmas dinner just because there are 7 people there, but if number 3 has got 30 people round and having a right old knees up then if they get reported then they may well come round.

They wont be going door to door just checking, its ludicrous that thats even been suggested.

You just know though someone is going to call the sun because they showed up to a gathering of 7 because the duckwit down the road reported them cause they are a sad bar steward with nothing better to do. Then they will all be able to get their sad faces on inder a headline of 'boris ruined christmas'....

22 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Something something tier system makes the rules less complicated.

We are Tier Gamma round here, although they have announced we'll be moving into Tier Diamond on 13th January.

You can only buy books in Tesco if your kid is on free school meals. If you are a contractor with a day rate of over 1.5k, you are allowed to meet for grouse shooting.

You are banned from exercising outdoors, but can meet up with asymptomatic Coviders in the pub. Although they have banned Snakey B as it gets people too drunk. 

Anyone without a spare Poppy during November will be shot.

9 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

We are Tier Gamma round here, although they have announced we'll be moving into Tier Diamond on 13th January.

You can only buy books in Tesco if your kid is on free school meals. If you are a contractor with a day rate of over 1.5k, you are allowed to meet for grouse shooting.

You are banned from exercising outdoors, but can meet up with asymptomatic Coviders in the pub. Although they have banned Snakey B as it gets people too drunk. 

That gave me a chuckle. 

Honestly though, how is anyone supposed to know what's going on. They're just making more poo up as they go. 

I'm torn at the moment. Like many people, this has been tough mentally for me. I've missed big birthdays and weddings due to this virus. I could understand at first why the country had a lockdown. A completely foreign virus with no expertise on how to deal with it. It was the right decision. Now though, I feel like the government are making this more convoluted the longer time passes. 

With all the data I've seen, I think we need to admit that this is no worse than the normal flu. Unfortunately many people over 80 and people with health problems die of flu every year, it's the same with this. The reason government are doing this is to protect the NHS they say. When has the NHS ever been seriously quiet around winter? The fact is the NHS hospitals are overran every winter. If the people in power actually invested money properly in the health service, I doubt we would even need to over protect it like we are now.

We can't keep living like this. I'm a fit and healthy adult, I can carry on helping the most vulnerable in my family. Where's the plan to bring us back to a form of normal? Why do we keep looking backwards when everyone outside the UK seems to be looking forwards. It's a very negative mindset and people are starting to get fed up and break the rules. The negativity particularly by the politicians and scientists is not helping us. I understand the virus is horrible and is killing people. But so is cancer, so is heart disease, so is strokes. We carry on fighting it. 

Just looking at some worrying stats...

The week ending 16th October has 7% more deaths than the previous 5 year average. That's the highest for 20 weeks (not including Bank Holidays when reporting is impacted depending on date).

There were 670 Covid deaths in that week and there were 669 more deaths than the 5 year average.

This was nearly 2 weeks ago as well, so the week ending 30th October will probably see about 14% more deaths than the 5 year average, about 1400.

Don't forgot that idea that the original death spike in the Spring supposedly wiped out loads of ill people who would have just died soon anyway.

So far this year we've had 55k more deaths than the last 5 years, an increase of 13%. The ONS data gives 54k deaths from Covid.

(These figures are for England and Wales)

6 hours ago, Albert said:

Because restrictions work to reduce its spread. The issue is that Covid is easier to spread, so it takes more to get its reproduction number under 1. 

Cheers algo ,why didn’t I think of that?, corona is spreading because we aren’t following the regs and flu has disappeared because we are

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Get back to work you ghastly oik before I set the hounds on you … there's lots of coal left to polish and toords to gather.

Why have tiers if they differ in content from place to place?

The wife's best friend now has to shut her one woman band nail salon, which is completely Covid secure, because it's in Nottinghamshire, but if it was elsewhere in tier 3 could remain open.

It's a small place, strictly one person at a time, every surface cleaned between each visitor, screens, sanitizer, masks and visors worn, yet she has to shut.

Yet if she chooses too, she could move the business mobile, as that's only advised against, rather than illegal, despite carrying a far higher risk of transmission as she can't control the work environment. It makes no sense whatsoever. 

Before any says nails aren't essential, maybe they're not, but those appointments every 3 weeks are literally the only time my missus leaves home, and it's been her lifeline in this new normal, mentally more important than you'd think.

9 hours ago, TexasRam said:

How do you know? And don’t we have a well run hospital system?

Because their strategy is well published, and there has been a lot of analysis of what it has and has not done. 

No, the NHS has been underfunded for a long time now, runs too close to maximum occupancy of beds, and this has been seen in virtually every available metric prior to the pandemic. The NHS hasn't prepared for what has come unfortunately, though just about coped with the first wave by sheading procedures. 

9 hours ago, TexasRam said:

I think the bit you are missing and maybe the main differences are, demographics, lifestyle, health (less fatties!!!) and less multi generations living under one roof. 

The implication of this is that the Swedish method would go even worse in the UK then...

3 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

This is a shocking read, especially if you are one if those people who think that this is a difficult situation and the government is doing it's best...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/28/england-coronavirus-covid-test-and-trace-teenagers

Very worrying. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Someone, somewhere has to be accountable for this.

1 hour ago, Albert said:

the NHS has been underfunded for a long time now

NHS costs 2018/19 £129B,  2019/20 £134B, employing 1.4M People (5th biggest employer in the world). Underfunded no, badly managed yes 

Archived