Coronavirus

1of4

16 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I don't believe it has a significant risk attached to it. 

Obviously you didn't set the fine, I just find it mind blowing that people can agree with it. The punishment does not fit the ''crime''. Not even a little bit. 

Ok you don’t believe it carried a risk.

Why is it mind blowing that people can agree with it? Some people clearly believe the punishment should of been harsher. People view it very differently to each other. 

Our opinion makes no difference though, the punishment for the crime was already established and being enforced.

The students were breaking the rules in the eye of the law no matter what we think. They now have to accept the consequence.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

No. Just calling you ridiculous for trying to blame deaths on people throwing a party, for it is, **ridiculous**. 

For pity's sake do you actually read what others post - where did I blame deaths on people throwing a party?  I said they would be oblivious to any risk that they might be transmitting Covid but hey, feel free to continue peddling the selfish attitudes of a tiny minority of people in this country.

2 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

Ok you don’t believe it carried a risk.

Why is it mind blowing that people can agree with it? Some people clearly believe the punishment should of been harsher. People view it very differently to each other. 

Our opinion makes no difference though, the punishment for the crime was already established and being enforced.

The students were breaking the rules in the eye of the law no matter what we think. They now have to accept the consequence.

Just because it's the law doesn't mean it can't be questioned. Plenty of shitty laws out there, this is just another one. 

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

For pity's sake do you actually read what others post - where did I blame deaths on people throwing a party?  I said they would be oblivious to any risk that they might be transmitting Covid but hey, feel free to continue peddling the selfish attitudes of a tiny minority of people in this country.

Continue to keep peddling the selfish attitudes of people who don't care about the economic devastation and mental health crisis that they're causing by continuing to support a lockdown because it's fine for them. You're no more or less selfish than me, you're just self righteous about it. That's the difference between us.

8 hours ago, Andicis said:

??? Thank you Saint Albert. Let's be real here, you don't give two poops about the British economy and your posts over the last month have more than shown that. You just want to be "right" about lockdowns that won't impact you.

...weird that you'd claim this given my point isn't actually about lockdowns, but rather, avoiding them in future. 

Also, my entire concern is about the UK being vaguely normal, like it is over here in Australia, as I have family etc suffering through the shambles currently over there. The contrast between what we're experiencing, and what they're experiencing, is ridiculous. 

3 hours ago, maxjam said:

This is good news, and what you'd expect by this point with improved treatment protocols, more resources etc. That said, the deaths are still climbing, and that must stop. 

8 hours ago, TexasRam said:

If it gives you more time to enjoy life outside than on here then my work is done Albert. 

Interesting take on it. So, you've conceded the argument, and accepted you haven't a leg to stand on to save me time, while I'm spending less than 10 or so minutes on here a day... interesting stuff. 

8 hours ago, Archied said:

Albert says

imagine someone sitting in a holding cell declaring they'd stab the first person they saw when they got out. Could you imagine the uproar if they were let out because 'it would be silly to keep them here'.

i say 

imagine someone sitting in a holding cell who’s stabbed no one but the person doing the holding declares that if let out they will stab the first person they see ,,,,,,, hmmmmm

i think six weeks the three lads were held in Italy hmmmmm 

The second example would be something outside their control entirely. The thing is, all someone has to do in the Kiwi system is have the test, hence it is nothing like your attempted analogy. 

13 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

Mate I don’t get to decide who gets punished, or if people are punished equally.

I do know that if you are prepared to commit an offence then you should be aware of and prepared to accept the maximum consequence. 

If they couldn’t afford the 10k they simply shouldn’t of hosted a big party. It makes no difference if others can afford it or not. 

You advocated unequal punishment for offenders.

It makes a big difference if others can afford it, because they will be more likely to break the regulations and thereby increase risk of infection to others.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Just because it's the law doesn't mean it can't be questioned. Plenty of shitty laws out there, this is just another one. 

Yes by all means question the laws, campaign to change the law.

Not liking the law doesn’t provide a defence for the students who knowingly broke the rules though. They had a choice. 

1 minute ago, ramit said:

You advocated unequal punishment for offenders.

It makes a big difference if others can afford it, because they will be more likely to break the regulations and thereby increase risk of infection to others.

I don’t advocate unequal punishment for offenders. A maximum fine is a maximum fine no matter how rich you are. 

Just now, Andicis said:

Continue to keep peddling the selfish attitudes of people who don't care about the economic devastation and mental health crisis that they're causing by continuing to support a lockdown because it's fine for them. You're no more or less selfish than me, you're just self righteous about it. That's the difference between us.

I care very much about the effect on the economy and what it has meant for my 2 children. I feel this government has made serious errors in how they have tackled this pandemic but there again you'd know that because you know me and my views - based on me questioning the wisdom of students holding a party in the current situation.

1 minute ago, jimmyp said:

I don’t advocate unequal punishment for offenders. A maximum fine is a maximum fine no matter how rich you are. 

"Don't commit the crime if you can't pay the fine"  With this remark you clearly do advocate it.

3 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

I care very much about the effect on the economy and what it has meant for my 2 children. I feel this government has made serious errors in how they have tackled this pandemic but there again you'd know that because you know me and my views - based on me questioning the wisdom of students holding a party in the current situation.

I just flipped what you said around. If you don't like it, you shouldn't have said it to me to begin with. 

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

You've actually lost the plot if you think fining students 10k for having a party is proportionate. Not the kind of country I want to live in.

So I've lost the plot.

Let's assume that just one of those students, by their crass stupidity, passed the virus on to one other person, who in turn passed it down the line and ultimately, that was responsible for the death of somebody.

Do you think that is disproportionate?

Another 300 + deaths reported today, and the way it's heading, we will quite possibly be hitting numbers similar to April by Christmas - and many of those deaths are caused by people who, somewhere down the line, think that the rules don't apply to them.

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

So I've lost the plot.

Let's assume that just one of those students, by their crass stupidity, passed the virus on to one other person, who in turn passed it down the line and ultimately, that was responsible for the death of somebody.

Do you think that is disproportionate?

Another 300 + deaths reported today, and the way it's heading, we will quite possibly be hitting numbers similar to April by Christmas - and many of those deaths are caused by people who, somewhere down the line, think that the rules don't apply to them.

And in the case that all of them after said party stayed at their university and didn't spread it further, and nobody died or was harmed, is that proportional? If you can invent a scenario, I can too. 

Just now, jimmyp said:

You know that is a saying from the 60s and not actually the basis on which our laws work don’t you? 

The original saying goes, don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

But the laws do work that way, fines are an established method of punishment meted out by authorities the western world over. 

Am a little surprised that you are reluctant to own up to the opinion you expressed, but i won't harry you any further on the matter,

mate.

16 minutes ago, Albert said:

Yikes... I'd suggesting spending more time reading to improve your fluency. 

You mean “I’d suggest”? I’d suggest you spend more time writing to improve your English. 

5 minutes ago, ramit said:

The original saying goes, don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

But the laws do work that way, fines are an established method of punishment meted out by authorities the western world over. 

Am a little surprised that you are reluctant to own up to the opinion you expressed, but i won't harry you any further on the matter,

mate.

Fortunately we don’t just rely on handing out fines for certain actions. Otherwise we really would be living in chaos. 

33 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Actions have consequences - and it is entirely possible that one of more of those thoughtless, couldn't care less about anyone else when a good time is to be had students could be indirectly responsible for the death of somebody - a parent, a grandparent for instance - especially when it is a disease that affects people in widely different ways.

Archived