Coronavirus

1of4

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Speaking of dark times, I wonder how Eddie changes his lightbulbs when he is under house arrest?

Same way anyone like me does.

I hold it still in the vicinity of the socket and the world revolves around me.

Seriously, I don't think that we have had a single lightbulb give out in the last 3 years since we switched to halogen types and LEDs from the antiquated bit of hot wire. Thanks, EU.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I just made it up on the back of the Woke BS we see all around us today. You can use it, I won’t come after you on the grounds of plagiarism......or will I ?

It's an interesting one. Is the opposite of 'woke' sexist, racist, or just asleep?

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It's an interesting one. Is the opposite of 'woke' sexist, racist, or just asleep?

Or just normal and not interested in attention seeking 

Oh no, all the stuff I've been posting for the last few weeks has turned out to be rubbish. Turns out that those government scientists actually do know more about Coronavirus than me, a presenter on Talk Radio and my mate on Facebook who has read lots of books (but is admittedly a bit of a conspiracy nut).

I could pipe down a bit with my tail between my legs, embarrassed that in a minor way, I've helped make things worse through spreading misinformation.

Or I could change the narrative and try to stoke up a Culture War! It's not me who was wrong, it's those NHS managers, with their Inclusivity Officers who are the real problem.

Perhaps we can even get this thread shut down! Although weirdly, I also think that non-platforming in a handful of university student unions is the greatest threat to democracy and freedom the world has ever faced.

17 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Same way anyone like me does.

I hold it still in the vicinity of the socket and the world revolves around me.

Seriously, I don't think that we have had a single lightbulb give out in the last 3 years since we switched to halogen types and LEDs from the antiquated bit of hot wire. Thanks, EU.

That reminds me, I was going to speak to Cummings about a billion pound contract to manufacture emergency candles. I wonder if I can make them out of the super cheap Soy Sauce we can now finally import from Japan?

30 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Oh no, all the stuff I've been posting for the last few weeks has turned out to be rubbish. Turns out that those government scientists actually do know more about Coronavirus than me, a presenter on Talk Radio and my mate on Facebook who has read lots of books (but is admittedly a bit of a conspiracy nut).

I could pipe down a bit with my tail between my legs, embarrassed that in a minor way, I've helped make things worse through spreading misinformation.

Or I could change the narrative and try to stoke up a Culture War! It's not me who was wrong, it's those NHS managers, with their Inclusivity Officers who are the real problem.

Perhaps we can even get this thread shut down! Although weirdly, I also think that non-platforming in a handful of university student unions is the greatest threat to democracy and freedom the world has ever faced.

I still think the scientist are wrong. Im not blaming the NHS management I am arguing that they are not underfunded as someone stated just wasteful due to the management including ludicrous recruitment.

Next time Instead of cowardly using the 3rd person, @me. I’m also quite partial to a face to face discussion of you fancy it.

Ps I’m not on Facebook

2 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

There's truth in the suggestion that NHS management structure is wasteful in many ways. But the examples you quoted weren't it, I'm afraid.

I guess we’ll agree to disagree on that one. 

This is a link to the SAGE worst-case planning scenario. It is free to view and not behind the usual spectator paywall. It’s worth a read.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/classified-covid-in-winter-2020-a-worst-case-scenario

Below is the explanation as to why the spectator have published it.

taken from https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-we-re-publishing-sage-s-worst-case-scenario-advice/amp?__twitter_impression=true

In the UK’s pandemic response system, an independent committee of scientists – SAGE –draws up a ‘Reasonable Worst-Case’ planning scenario. This isn’t a prediction, but what it thinks could reasonably happen. Importantly, government then plans along these lines. But it has no obligation to tell the Cabinet, let alone the rest of the country, what is going on. As a result, government policy can be decided along lines that mystify senior government members, let alone those affected. Secrecy helps keep SAGE advice candid and allows for quick decision-making. But now that we’re settling down for what this week’s Spectator calls ‘the long winter’ it’s harder to justify the secrecy. So we’re publishing

the document which points to 85,000 deaths until the end of March, with restrictions lasting until then.

6 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

That reminds me, I was going to speak to Cummings about a billion pound contract to manufacture emergency candles. I wonder if I can make them out of the super cheap Soy Sauce we can now finally import from Japan?

Doesn't 95% of our soy sauce come from China?

Another fine scheme scuppered.

37 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Yep...just heard from the family.....in Amber Valley. 

I'm worried about the zoom chat Saturday. Will I need to wear a mask?

How can you eat a lollipop when wearing a mask? And you shouldn't speak with your mouth full.

(disclaimer - am I imagining an ice lolly called 'Zoom', in the shape o a 3-stage rocket?)

i am an advocate of cod liver oil intake on a daily basis, but i went a bit too far with it the other day, a lady friend of my uncle complained that she just couldn't get the stuff down, it made her want to puke.  It's not as if you haven't willingly put something worse in your mouth, was my thoughtless impudent reply.  She won't speak to me now.

This requires a much larger study, but it fits with what i've heard and suspected.

"The researchers found 80 percent of 216 COVID-19 patients at the Hospital Universitario Marqués de Valdecilla had vitamin D deficiency, and men had lower vitamin D levels than women. COVID-19 patients with lower vitamin D levels also had raised serum levels of inflammatory markers such as ferritin and D-dimer."

https://www.endocrine.org/news-and-advocacy/news-room/2020/study-finds-over-80-percent-of-covid19-patients-have-vitamin-d-deficiency

8 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

Let's be realistic, Victoria ended its lockdown a few days back after 142 days with considerably lower 'base load' than the UK.

There is absolutely no chance that anything but an almost indefinite lockdown can control the virus to incredibly low/zero levels at this stage. 

Without a vaccine we will have literally another 100k+ deaths on the way without locking everyone up for a year. 

Retrospectively the government needed to carry on the summer lockdown til end of July when track and trace actually could do their job. 

It's an exponential system, it would need to be longer, but not that much longer. Victoria did well and truly lose control before they fought back, and the lockdowns would have been shorter if they went with harsher lockdowns from the start. 

You're right though, the UK needed to act earlier in the year, and is now seeing the consequences. 

7 hours ago, TexasRam said:

@Albert@GboroRam And another one....and we think austerity and underfunding is hurting the NHS? Maybe the industry that’s been created on that back of the new WOKE generation has a little to answer for, don’t you think?

2DCA7F06-C8F1-4EB8-9753-5DB19A712F87.png

...it's not being 'woke'. Getting the most out of your workforce, and being ethical in your action does require such. People aren't focusing on such in the modern World as some kind of fad, the crimes of the past shouldn't be repeated to save a few quid. The costs discussed here are laughably small compared to the budget shortfall, and in no way suggest that they're wasting this money. 

£75k in £120 billion is tiny, 0.0000625% of the budget. Such positions are, by definition, meant to earn that back with gains elsewhere as well. Avoided lawsuits, improved productivity of other employees, etc. If you're challenging these positions, you'd have to challenge that there are 1) enough of these roles to be non-negligible, 2) the gains from them are less than what is earned through it. 

No they’re not. It’s not the modern world it’s Wokism at is finest in play. Not needed at all

See above. 

Ok I have an agenda about the way our National health service is run. Yes I do, and feel for those on the front line working in it. 

So, you feel for them, but you don't think their work environment is worth 0.0000625% of the yearly budget? 

No I don’t, I just don’t need justify or build on my argument that there is enough money in the NHS, it’s just poorly managed with a lost of waste.  

So, your argument is that you have no argument, but are more than happy to simply state a conclusion without any real backing. Cool. 

1 minute ago, Albert said:

£75k in £120 billion is tiny, 0.0000625%

I didn’t think we were using % on this tread? When ever we discuss the % of people effective by COVID, we get lambasted. I guess if it fits the narrative though......................................

6 hours ago, GboroRam said:

There's truth in the suggestion that NHS management structure is wasteful in many ways. But the examples you quoted weren't it, I'm afraid.

Inefficiencies exist in every system, but simply cutting the budget of a system to try and fix that is worst practice in trying to change that. Inefficiencies take large, expensive reviews to investigate and solve, much as a house with weak foundations takes a review to ascertain the issue, and have it repaired. Imagine just stripping away soil around a house to fix it's foundations. 

Make no mistake, that is, in effect, what happened for the NHS through the 00s. Funding increases were lower than the growth of costs, this is well documented. If the concern is that it's inefficient, then the money must be invested to investigate such properly. Simply saying "DO BETTER" in angry voices cannot solve that issue. 

Archived