Coronavirus

1of4

1 minute ago, jimmyp said:

Will you, or have you considered purchasing one of the new tests from boots before meeting up? 

My mother would like to see us at Christmas but is insisting we must be tested or have quarantined for two weeks. So it’s likely I’m going to be sticking a swab up my nose for her Christmas present this year! 

Thats if we are still tier 1 anyway, if we are tier 2 or higher she wants us to stay away. 

Mothers talk sense

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Andicis said:

You've actually lost the plot if you think fining students 10k for having a party is proportionate. Not the kind of country I want to live in.

Don’t commit the crime if you can’t pay the fine. 

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Usually, we have a Christmas get-together in Sheffield with my daughter, her partner, the grandkids and my son who comes up from Brizzle. This year, we won't, because people getting together, indoors, from three separate areas of the country is utterly stupid.

That must make me utterly stupid then I guess. I normally go away to Tenerife at Christmas but I had thought that was utterly stupid given the circs. I guess that would be batshit crazy in your book?
Anyway, I am looking forward to Christmas playing charades with my mum, arguing about the monarchy with my dad and enjoying the look on my sisters face when she has to explain to my mum what her love egg present is all about, and wondering once again why everybody buys dates and Advocaat at that time of the year. To top it off though I look forward to reading your posts throughout the Christmas period learning how festivities can be so bloody miserable under house arrest. Humbug!

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Apart from if you're an MP or a celebrity, in which case nothing happens. This country is lost if that's a crime anyway. 

Yep country is in a mess. 

The students in Nottingham knew the consequences before having the party, the rozzers even gave them chance to clear off. The excuse they gave was almost as if they were asking for the maximum fine. 

In reference to mp’s and celebs then yes if they behave likewise after police intervention they should also receive a 10k fine. 

14 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

Will you, or have you considered purchasing one of the new tests from boots before meeting up? 

My mother would like to see us at Christmas but is insisting we must be tested or have quarantined for two weeks. So it’s likely I’m going to be sticking a swab up my nose for her Christmas present this year! 

Thats if we are still tier 1 anyway, if we are tier 2 or higher she wants us to stay away. 

I doubt Jimmy I will make any significant arrangements. I am not obviously going to put my parents at risk if I feel unwell, or have for whatever reason felt I have compromised my own safety in the week before. But as I said, my Sister is a paramedic. She sees my mum everyday of the year to attend to her needs and she is a much higher risk of infection transmission that my wife or myself. My mum is 87 and not in the greatest of health. If I told her I couldn’t make Christmas because of this virus she would be so very upset. We all have to make personal choices. My mum and I have made ours.

1 minute ago, jimmyp said:

Yep country is in a mess. 

The students in Nottingham knew the consequences before having the party, the rozzers even gave them chance to clear off. The excuse they gave was almost as if they were asking for the maximum fine. 

In reference to mp’s and celebs then yes if they behave likewise after police intervention they should also receive a 10k fine. 

You're advocating for young people being slapped with 10k fines for the crime of having fun with their friends. Just read that out loud and listen to how it sounds. Bloody hell. Authoritarian. 

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

I doubt Jimmy I will make any significant arrangements. I am not obviously going to put my parents at risk if I feel unwell, or have for whatever reason felt I have compromised my own safety in the week before. But as I said, my Sister is a paramedic. She sees my mum everyday of the year to attend to her needs and she is a much higher risk of infection transmission that my wife or myself. My mum is 87 and not in the greatest of health. If I told her I couldn’t make Christmas because of this virus she would be so very upset. We all have to make personal choices. My mum and I have made ours.

Oh I’m not trying to imply you would put anyone at risk etc. 

I was just merely asking if it was something you had considered. 

You are clearly a sensible fellow Mr I-ram sir.

I only questioned the idea as it was something I had been discussing with my mum a few minutes before I read your post. 

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

You're advocating for young people being slapped with 10k fines for the crime of having fun with their friends. Just read that out loud and listen to how it sounds. Bloody hell. Authoritarian

When they could be responsible for the deaths of dozens of people they are lucky not to be in jail.

Too stupid or selfish, and this is supposed to be the cream of English youth.

5 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

When they could be responsible for the deaths of dozens of people they are lucky not to be in jail.

Too stupid or selfish, and this is supposed to be the cream of English youth.

Ludicrous and embarrassing hyperbole. Plenty of authoritarian nations you can go live in if you think meeting friends is worthy of a prison sentence, but I don't want to live in the same country as you if that's your viewpoint. 

They're not responsible for any deaths. How dare you even say that. 

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

You're advocating for young people being slapped with 10k fines for the crime of having fun with their friends. Just read that out loud and listen to how it sounds. Bloody hell. Authoritarian. 

No mate I’m not against people having fun. The party they hosted had a significant risk attached to it though, and they knew that. The risk wasn’t limited to just themselves either.

When the line between fun and dangerous get crossed consequences can be handed out if you are caught in the act. 

I didn’t decide the 10k fine, the fine was however set before the event and they were aware.

Living in the current situation I think the students made a really rather large mistake that has cost them not only big money, but also their own education. 

Hopefully it didn’t cause a super spread situation.

2 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

No mate I’m not against people having fun. The party they hosted had a significant risk attached to it though, and they knew that. The risk wasn’t limited to just themselves either.

When the line between fun and dangerous get crossed consequences can be handed out if you are caught in the act. 

I didn’t decide the 10k fine, the fine was however set before the event and they were aware.

Living in the current situation I think the students made a really rather large mistake that has cost them not only big money, but also their own education. 

Hopefully it didn’t cause a super spread situation.

I don't believe it has a significant risk attached to it. 

Obviously you didn't set the fine, I just find it mind blowing that people can agree with it. The punishment does not fit the ''crime''. Not even a little bit. 

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

You don't know that and part of the problem is neither will they

Nope, that's not the case. Colds can kill people. You ever been outside with a cold? You could be responsible for someone's death. I can't prove it, but you can't disprove it so I'm going to claim it's true. 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Nope, that's not the case. Colds can kill people. You ever been outside with a cold? You could be responsible for someone's death. I can't prove it, but you can't disprove it so I'm going to claim it's true. 

Are you seriously comparing the risk of killing someone with a cold and someone positive with Covid?

2 minutes ago, ramit said:

A 10k fine is devastating to some and no big deal to others.

Punish people equally, or not at all

Mate I don’t get to decide who gets punished, or if people are punished equally.

I do know that if you are prepared to commit an offence then you should be aware of and prepared to accept the maximum consequence. 

If they couldn’t afford the 10k they simply shouldn’t of hosted a big party. It makes no difference if others can afford it or not. 

Just now, Wolfie20 said:

Are you seriously comparing the risk of killing someone with a cold and someone positive with Covid?

No. Just calling you ridiculous for trying to blame deaths on people throwing a party, for it is, **ridiculous**. 

Archived