Coronavirus

1of4

35 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

?? Are doing ok aren’t they? Seems their tactics work

ED9D180A-E24A-4BB4-B7D4-677DAE3CF1CE.jpeg

4462DA90-5C20-45D3-B36B-6FD2546B118C.jpeg

At the moment they are, though their cases are spiking, so the concern is that the deaths will follow, just as has been seen elsewhere. 

It's worth noting that the Swedish strategy does have plenty of restrictions involved, just not sledge hammer ones like lockdowns. As long as a population is cooperative, such can work. Even with all these, they have one of the worst death rates in Europe overall, and there is currently talk of them walking back on their stance against lockdowns with their cases spiking like elsewhere. It'll be interesting to watch what they actually do in the next month or so. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ariotofmyown said:

Pretty rude of the police to break up the dinner, waiting outside to smash their way in just as the gravy is being poured over the parsnips.

I honestly think if they start doing that they will have mass civil unrest on their hands - they won't have the numbers to police it and some people will react very badly.

13 minutes ago, Albert said:

At the moment they are, though their cases are spiking, so the concern is that the deaths will follow, just as has been seen elsewhere. 

It's worth noting that the Swedish strategy does have plenty of restrictions involved, just not sledge hammer ones like lockdowns. As long as a population is cooperative, such can work. Even with all these, they have one of the worst death rates in Europe overall, and there is currently talk of them walking back on their stance against lockdowns with their cases spiking like elsewhere. It'll be interesting to watch what they actually do in the next month or so. 

We’ll see, I like their approach it’s very measured and sensible. 

4 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

We’ll see, I like their approach it’s very measured and sensible. 

It's also cost nearly 6000 lives (~38,000 if scaled to the size of the UK), and relies heavily on a compliant population, and a well run hospital system. Do you believe people in the UK would follow restrictions, as people have in Sweden, in the same way? 

On the surface that's marginally better than the UK's deathtoll, but required a very compliant population, and has had similar economic costs. 

4 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

More tabloid scaremongering in my opinion.

Maybe, maybe not - a lot of EU countries are seeing cases spike and increasingly people are becoming frustrated and angry.  If, according to the latest SAGE/Vallance model, covid will reach an even higher peak by later November we will imo be looking at another (and hugely unpopular) lockdown over Christmas.

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

I honestly think if they start doing that they will have mass civil unrest on their hands - they won't have the numbers to police it and some people will react very badly.

They should wait until just before the Queen's speech to help out any households where someone actually wants to watch it.

What makes me 'laugh' is this thing about hospitals and that they are getting full. 

Sooo..normally are they half-empty and medical professionals are wandering about with nothing to do? And if they are only now getting close to full, why do they always make people wait 6+ months for routine operations like hip replacement? 

11 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

What makes me 'laugh' is this thing about hospitals and that they are getting full. 

Sooo..normally are they half-empty and medical professionals are wandering about with nothing to do? And if they are only now getting close to full, why do they always make people wait 6+ months for routine operations like hip replacement? 

I posted about this yesterday. The NHS is usually quite close to maximum occupancy, around 90%, which is more than most developed countries. This is, in part, why the wait times are so bad. This also means that the amount of excess cases required to really put the system under great strain isn't that high. 

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

It's a total bluff. Unless they decided to drag every officer in the force in on Christmas day then there is absolutely no chance that they break up anyone's Christmas gathering.

1 hour ago, Albert said:

and relies heavily on a compliant population, and a well run hospital system

How do you know? And don’t we have a well run hospital system?

I think the bit you are missing and maybe the main differences are, demographics, lifestyle, health (less fatties!!!) and less multi generations living under one roof. 

9 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

It's a total bluff. Unless they decided to drag every officer in the force in on Christmas day then there is absolutely no chance that they break up anyone's Christmas gathering.

Thats not what David Jamieson the West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner seems to think.

David Jamieson, the West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC), said his force would investigate reports of rule-breaking over Christmas if the region remained under Tier 2 restrictions and officers would, if necessary, enter homes and separate households.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/10/27/family-christmas-gatherings-breach-covid-rules-will-broken-police/

Its not just Scotland thats heading for a 'digital Christmas'

This press conference was the one widely derided weren't it. We are now at 200 deaths per day rolling average by end of October. I guess those deaths numbers will keep going up, we'll have a big lockdown again, then the same dis-believing of science will all go round again...

"At a sobering press conference on 21 September, Vallance presented a slide showing the potential progression of the virus. “Fifty thousand cases per day would be expected to lead a month later, so the middle of November say, to 200 plus deaths per day,” he said. “So this graph, which is not a prediction, is simply showing you how quickly this can move if the doubling time stays at seven days.”"

Archived