Coronavirus

1of4

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

it is entirely possible that one of more of those thoughtless, couldn't care less about anyone else when a good time is to be had students could be indirectly responsible for the death of somebody

It is also entirely possible they weren’t indirectly responsible for the death of somebody. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Andicis said:

And in the case that all of them after said party stayed at their university and didn't spread it further, and nobody died or was harmed, is that proportional? If you can invent a scenario, I can too. 

Did they really?

The party wasn't even on the university grounds - it was at a private address in Lenton.

The trouble with your invented scenario is it is akin to sticking your head in the sand. You can make exactly the same argument for every single encounter, every session in the pub, every single irresponsible action, viz "Ah, we're probably all ok. What harm will it cause?"

In this case, Nottingham Trent University didn't take your attitude of "Ah, boys will be boys" - they suspended them. Perhaps you should be targeting the university staff with your diatribes and strawmen as well.

5 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

It is also entirely possible they weren’t indirectly responsible for the death of somebody. 

Of course - but you can say that about everyone behaving irresponsibly every single time, and argue for the removal of all restrictions.

Luckily, some people have the capacity for rational thought and making sensible decisions - it seems to be in short measure on here today.

1 hour ago, Albert said:

...weird that you'd claim this given my point isn't actually about lockdowns, but rather, avoiding them in future. 

Also, my entire concern is about the UK being vaguely normal, like it is over here in Australia, as I have family etc suffering through the shambles currently over there. The contrast between what we're experiencing, and what they're experiencing, is ridiculous. 

This is good news, and what you'd expect by this point with improved treatment protocols, more resources etc. That said, the deaths are still climbing, and that must stop. 

Interesting take on it. So, you've conceded the argument, and accepted you haven't a leg to stand on to save me time, while I'm spending less than 10 or so minutes on here a day... interesting stuff. 

The second example would be something outside their control entirely. The thing is, all someone has to do in the Kiwi system is have the test, hence it is nothing like your attempted analogy. 

That would be the 100 percent reliable test ?, check out how it’s working out in Italy , lock up and no recourse ,young kids kept for 6 weeks ,yes 6 weeks in isolation ,poorly fed mentally deteriorating, the kind of world your defending is the kind took a world war to stop ,now it’s being imposed by a media war

10 minutes ago, Archied said:

I normally slate the spelling and grammar police but I’m going to let this one slide?

I do as well, but I couldn’t resist on this occasion 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Did they really?

The party wasn't even on the university grounds - it was at a private address in Lenton.

The trouble with your invented scenario is it is akin to sticking your head in the sand. You can make exactly the same argument for every single encounter, every session in the pub, every single irresponsible action, viz "Ah, we're probably all ok. What harm will it cause?"

In this case, Nottingham Trent University didn't take your attitude of "Ah, boys will be boys" - they suspended them. Perhaps you should be targeting the university staff with your diatribes and strawmen as well.

Eddie, the last people to blame are the students. The government decided it was ok for thousands of students to get together when it was possible for them to do their stuff online. 

We should be demanding to know the science and advice behind the decision to open up Uni's.

You can't chuck 18-22 year olds together and expect them to behave. Its never happened.

10 hours ago, TexasRam said:

You mean “I’d suggest”? I’d suggest you spend more time writing to improve your English. 

Typos will happen. 

If you insist though, I'm happy to spend more time writing on here. 

9 hours ago, Archied said:

That would be the 100 percent reliable test ?, check out how it’s working out in Italy , lock up and no recourse ,young kids kept for 6 weeks ,yes 6 weeks in isolation ,poorly fed mentally deteriorating, the kind of world your defending is the kind took a world war to stop ,now it’s being imposed by a media war

A test that isn't 100% effective doesn't make a difference in this instance. The issue is failing to take the test in the first place. False positives will be flagged on later tests. The likelihood of getting repeated false positives is miniscule. 

You're also conflating entirely different systems, but I guess that's the only argument you have. 

23 minutes ago, Albert said:

Typos will happen. 

If you insist though, I'm happy to spend more time writing on here. 

A test that isn't 100% effective doesn't make a difference in this instance. The issue is failing to take the test in the first place. False positives will be flagged on later tests. The likelihood of getting repeated false positives is miniscule. 

You're also conflating entirely different systems, but I guess that's the only argument you have. 

So algorithm Albert ,why no flu season this year ?

21 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

This is all so depressing. What a waste of a year and seems like everything we've done is for nothing. 

Gonna be the worst Christmas ever. 

It's a great Christmas for the likes of Serco, Deloitte etc. They've had a huge year, business is booming.

8 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Get ya Christmas shopping done now ?

It may be true, but ive read such contradictory information in the tabloids from experts. We all know how the tabloids enjoy being the bearers of bad news, or even creating it.

Neil Ferguson keeps popping up in them, would rather not hear from his ilk, someone who thought getting a jump was more important than containing the virus.

Lets hope its tabloid speculation. Even if its not it could well be out of context, a model...just like the 50k a day by the end of october..a what might happen, not a what will happen.

5 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

It may be true, but ive read such contradictory information in the tabloids from experts. We all know how the tabloids enjoy being the bearers of bad news, or even creating it.

Neil Ferguson keeps popping up in them, would rather not hear from his ilk, someone who thought getting a jump was more important than containing the virus.

Lets hope its tabloid speculation. Even if its not it could well be out of context, a model...just like the 50k a day by the end of october..a what might happen, not a what will happen.

I'm expecting a lockdown before Christmas so there's a chance it'll be lifted in time for the holidays. But it may be that the plan is to co-ordinate the lockdown with the school holidays.

44 minutes ago, Archied said:

So algorithm Albert ,why no flu season this year ?

Because restrictions work to reduce its spread. The issue is that Covid is easier to spread, so it takes more to get its reproduction number under 1. 

4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I'm expecting a lockdown before Christmas so there's a chance it'll be lifted in time for the holidays. But it may be that the plan is to co-ordinate the lockdown with the school holidays.

I guess a judgment may be made on if they feel the current lockdowns in other parts of the UK actually worked or not.

Not really sure how long that sort of information takes to understand, could be weeks after they re-open i guess.

Archived