Coronavirus

1of4

49 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Why now? Why was it ok to not wear a mask in March and April when we had tens of thousands of new cases likely, but now we're down to 500 odd a day now it's mandatory? I'm just going to swerve shops and buy stuff online until this rule is changed. 

Why now?

Well I was reading a good interview with a woman who was part of the centre right about 20 years ago in Britain and Poland. She made the point that the sort of people who have power now within populist governments (UK, US, Hungary, Poland) have gained these positions bases on purely ideological grounds rather than merit.

They often used to hold contrary views to those they now publicly support, but this is the way for a 2nd rate member of 'the elite' to get promoted. She has lost many friends over this, such as one who supports the regime in Hungary but also has a gay son.

So why now for the masks? Because we have leaders who have neither the skills or the competence to govern properly, especially in times of crisis.

Hopefully a silver lining of the pandemic is a desire to elect sensible, logical, experienced and competent leaders again.

Regardless of their politics, Thatcher and Blair were these types of leaders who had effective people around them. They would never have allowed things to slide like this. I'd also think the governments of Major, Brown, Cameron and May would have done a way better job, likewise recent ex-Presidents of the US.

Apologise if this is too much Politics, I didn't mean to write it all. I'm just angry at how we have ended up like this. Do we have to wear masks in pubs and restaurants? Should vulnerable people even be at shops yet? 

A guy I knows sister owns a small care home. She didn't get any infections from hospitals, but 3 people got virus in May. The ambulance service and hospital told them they couldn't/wouldn't help. If any patient, without any symptoms had broken a leg, the home were told to deal with it themselves. What has been going on?

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Eddie said:

There is a huge amount of evidence that wearing a mask greatly reduces the transmission by suppressing the expulsion of droplets. It's not to stop you catching the virus - it's to stop you passing it on.

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

The government were still perhaps fingering the 'herd immunity' card during the early days. Boris copping a dose changed things a little, but the desire to get the country working again means that additional measures are required. I think they've also looked at the absolute clusterfark that's now happening in the moron states in the USA, contrasted that with how places like New York have really turned things around from a disastrous position early on by placing an emphasis on social distancing and mask-wearing and realised that sometimes we ought to listen to experts.

When so many 'experts' have different opinions on the matter it is hard to know who to listen to.

How have you decided which experts are right and which ones are wrong?

The thing is though, they are saying face coverings to be worn in shops, not necessarily masks. So which is it, protecting everyone from the virus, or control? 

Sith Happens
46 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Am I right in thinking that those who are deemed most vulnerable are still being asked to stay at home?
Surely by that logic, anyone who cannot or will not wear a mask... for whatever reason... will be asked to stay out of shops?

that ends in a couple of weeks 

Surely we ought to be doing everything we can to minimise the risk as we try to get the country back on track? 

If masks help by even a fraction let's do it. 

I don't want to is not socially acceptable. Therefore you're committing to stay at home. 

I don't want to wear a mask in the same way I didn't want to work from home, be apart from my family etc. 

This thing hasn't gone away and if you look at other countries, it can come back with a vengeance. 

Get working, get shopping, wear a mask. 

If you want further incentive, who knows, the success of mask wearing might hasten the return of football attendance! 

10 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Thought I read somewhere that wearing a mask potentially provides a surface for the virus to land.

Unless there is scientific evidence that a mask reduces transmission, and does not increase the chances of catching it, I don't think it is fair to call people selfish for not wearing one.

Personal choice and as long as people social distance they have followed the scientific advice.

spacer.png

I have seen some properly hysterical nonsense on social media, some folk going as far as claiming their human rights are being breached.

You can tell some people have never encountered genuine oppression if they think being asked to wear a mask for an hour in Tesco represents it.

Being inconvenienced is not the same as being oppressed. To those people I would simply say "grow up and deal with it you absolute melt".

Sith Happens

I have got myself sorted for face masks, it does cause me issues with breathing being asthmatic, but its not like i travel much on public transport anyway or intend to spend hours on end in shops so i'll manage.

I know how it makes me feel and i have well controlled Asthma so can understand why some people will struggle.

I think as others have said we need to think of other people though more through this....sadly it doesnt seem a trait many of our population have.

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, Boycie said:

So I’ll be wearing a face mask in shops then, that’s fine if that’s the law.

Will pubs now close again?

Im assuming they see Shops different because people are walking around shops and inevtibly social distancing becomes an issue. I havent been in a pub yet but they are supposed to be following strict guidelines from what i understand where you sit at your table and have a drink and so on, the idea isnt to wander about.

Of course what happens and whats supposed to happen are different things.

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Am I right in thinking that those who are deemed most vulnerable are still being asked to stay at home?
Surely by that logic, anyone who cannot or will not wear a mask... for whatever reason... will be asked to stay out of shops?

Correct. We expect to be released under licence at the start of August, but I tunnelled under the fence when nobody was looking.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

When so many 'experts' have different opinions on the matter it is hard to know who to listen to.

How have you decided which experts are right and which ones are wrong?

I just decided that seeing as you are invariably wrong, it's safe to advocate the opposite.

Joking apart, hopefully this will help

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/417906/still-confused-about-masks-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

10 hours ago, Andicis said:

Why now? Why was it ok to not wear a mask in March and April when we had tens of thousands of new cases likely, but now we're down to 500 odd a day now it's mandatory? I'm just going to swerve shops and buy stuff online until this rule is changed. 

Why now, you ask.

The virus is still here.

With lockdown being eased there are more people coming into contact with each other.

At the start of this pandemic there was a shortage of masks in the country and those that were available were needed for the emergency and essential workers. 

The people running our country are incompetent.

25 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I just decided that seeing as you are invariably wrong, it's safe to advocate the opposite.

Joking apart, hopefully this will help

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/417906/still-confused-about-masks-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

But that is just choosing an 'expert' that agrees with your opinion isnt it?

If I linked you to an article that says that wearing a mask could increase viral load and therefore make you more susceptible to getting the disease would that prove me right?

The answer of course is no, it just shows another opinion from another 'expert'.

I think over the last few months it has become pretty clear that the advice from the experts has to evolve as more becomes known.

Lastest from the government, Matt Hancock has just “announced all Stable doors to be closed in 10 days time”

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

If I linked you to an article that says that wearing a mask could increase viral load and therefore make you more susceptible to getting the disease would that prove me right?

Probably quite telling that your whole angle here is bias confirmation. Eddie's expert is merely "agreeing with Eddie's opinion" and your expert is "proving you right"

What about me? I don't have an opinion, i don't think I'm "right" - I just use the critical thinking skills I was taught at school/college/university to read the views of multiple experts and decide which of the experts seems the most qualified and has the most compelling facts

The whole "we've had enough of experts" thing is the death knell for society

17 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The answer of course is no, it just shows another opinion from another 'expert'.

I think over the last few months it has become pretty clear that the advice from the experts has to evolve as more becomes known.

I think you are missing point here. I have to go back to UK tomorrow and it isn't what the experts tell me it is more to do with common sense.

will wearing a mask mean I am less likely to infect somebody else?- quite possible

does wearing a mask cause a problem to me or others? - no

answer = wear a mask

this isn't personal choice it is personal responsibility

Archived