Coronavirus

1of4

The Memsahib and I went shopping today - first time since March. 4 kilos of Ikea meatballs, some potting compost, a new wok and a load of other stuff from Wilko and Boots.

We wore masks the whole time, as did pretty well all the black and Asian people we saw. We only saw one other white person wearing a mask, and probably 200 or so who weren't.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Eddie said:

The Memsahib and I went shopping today - first time since March. 4 kilos of Ikea meatballs, some potting compost, a new wok and a load of other stuff from Wilko and Boots.

We wore masks the whole time, as did pretty well all the black and Asian people we saw. We only saw one other white person wearing a mask, and probably 200 or so who weren't.

I was in Ripley Sainsbury's this morning and for the first time saw several other people in masks, including a mum and daughter.

Interestingly, I didn't see any staff in masks, even though they are in there for a lot longer and interact with many more people than the customers.

15 minutes ago, sage said:

People not wearing masks in busy shops. Especially near Eddie. Who else is going to give me Belgian beer at cricket matches. 

That's not the shoppers fault, isnt it down to the shops to control numbers to ensure social distancing can be observed?

32 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

That's not the shoppers fault, isnt it down to the shops to control numbers to ensure social distancing can be observed?

It is both. You cannot predict who will go where. The govt has given 4 different answers to this question in the last few days. i really don't think it's too much to ask to wear a mask for 10 minutes in Boots. 

13 minutes ago, sage said:

It is both. You cannot predict who will go where. The govt has given 4 different answers to this question in the last few days. i really don't think it's too much to ask to wear a mask for 10 minutes in Boots. 

Thought I read somewhere that wearing a mask potentially provides a surface for the virus to land.

Unless there is scientific evidence that a mask reduces transmission, and does not increase the chances of catching it, I don't think it is fair to call people selfish for not wearing one.

Personal choice and as long as people social distance they have followed the scientific advice.

Sith Happens
19 minutes ago, sage said:

unless you are asthmatic of course. 

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Evil white people, deport them

I’m not wearing a mask while shopping, unless the government say I need to.  I would wear one on public transport as per the rules.

I keep 2 meters away from others and like some have said, lots of shop staff don’t wear masks.  I’m not coughing or sneezing, and use the sanitizer on entry and exit.

If they require me to wear one, then I will.

I’m sure Dominic Cummings would agree with me too.

5 minutes ago, philmycocu said:

Evil white people, deport them

Stupid, selfish, entitled people who don't actually care if they are responsible for the death of others. They are the people for whom social distancing was invented. I have no idea why so many white people today (where I was) ignored the advice almost to a man (or woman) - conversely my observation was that the non-whites seemed to take completely the opposite stance. I can actually understand that bit - after all, the numbers indicate that certain ethnic groupings (and certain socio-economic groupings) are affected to a greater extent than others.

I fully understand that there are people who cannot wear one, either because of health issues or (for example) because they are a carer for a deaf person who relies on lip-reading, but if you can wear a face mask, then please do so, especially when social distancing is not possible, where the air is re-cycled or anywhere you might feel uncomfortable.

41 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Thought I read somewhere that wearing a mask potentially provides a surface for the virus to land.

Unless there is scientific evidence that a mask reduces transmission, and does not increase the chances of catching it, I don't think it is fair to call people selfish for not wearing one.

Personal choice and as long as people social distance they have followed the scientific advice.

There is a huge amount of evidence that wearing a mask greatly reduces the transmission by suppressing the expulsion of droplets. It's not to stop you catching the virus - it's to stop you passing it on.

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Stupid, selfish, entitled people who don't actually care if they are responsible for the death of others. They are the people for whom social distancing was invented. I have no idea why so many white people today (where I was) ignored the advice almost to a man (or woman) - conversely my observation was that the non-whites seemed to take completely the opposite stance. I can actually understand that bit - after all, the numbers indicate that certain ethnic groupings (and certain socio-economic groupings) are affected to a greater extent than others.

I fully understand that there are people who cannot wear one, either because of health issues or (for example) because they are a carer for a deaf person who relies on lip-reading, but if you can wear a face mask, then please do so, especially when social distancing is not possible, where the air is re-cycled or anywhere you might feel uncomfortable.

Didn't mean to quote this bit.  

13 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I’m not wearing a mask while shopping, unless the government say I need to.  I would wear one on public transport as per the rules.

I keep 2 meters away from others and like some have said, lots of shop staff don’t wear masks.  I’m not coughing or sneezing, and use the sanitizer on entry and exit.

If they require me to wear one, then I will.

I’m sure Dominic Cummings would agree with me too.

Just been announced they are compulsory in shops from July 24th. 

4 minutes ago, sage said:

Didn't mean to quote this bit.  

Just been announced they are compulsory in shops from July 24th. 

Not when 850 people a day were dying then.  And why wait two more weeks ? i'm a bit confused.  Look forward to a stampede of people trying to buy masks they can't get. I do wear one in shops, but may have to hold up a van on it's way to a medical facility to get some more i'm assuming.

Glad to see we are evolving from the advice Grant Schapps gave at the start of June. Keep safe when shopping in centres/stores by working out how busy it is from the outside and finding somewhere else if you think it's looking full. 

Why now? Why was it ok to not wear a mask in March and April when we had tens of thousands of new cases likely, but now we're down to 500 odd a day now it's mandatory? I'm just going to swerve shops and buy stuff online until this rule is changed. 

I've got no problem with wearing a mask. If it means that I and everyone else's life are more safeguarded while out and about.

It will be interesting to see how many bamfords will suddenly claim to have a medical condition that means they can't wear a mask.

59 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Why now? Why was it ok to not wear a mask in March and April when we had tens of thousands of new cases likely, but now we're down to 500 odd a day now it's mandatory? I'm just going to swerve shops and buy stuff online until this rule is changed. 

The government were still perhaps fingering the 'herd immunity' card during the early days. Boris copping a dose changed things a little, but the desire to get the country working again means that additional measures are required. I think they've also looked at the absolute clusterfark that's now happening in the moron states in the USA, contrasted that with how places like New York have really turned things around from a disastrous position early on by placing an emphasis on social distancing and mask-wearing and realised that sometimes we ought to listen to experts.

Archived