Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 01/07/2020 at 08:55, mozza said:

What's to stop 'Lockdown Leicester' folk nipping over borders to find a pub open, thereby spreading the risk further?.. 

Well... 'Lockdown'...that's the answer. 

If you think about it, what was to stop everyone driving to the beach before, jumping on a bus when non essential, going on 5 walks a day, popping to their friends for a bbq or seeing all their family even if they shouldnt. 

A mixture of self control, worry about catching it, peer pressure, police /fines and lack of opportunity. 

Some people will ignore regardless. But enough won't to bring the rate down. 

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Cricket not allowed due to the teas and the changing rooms. Can anyone think of a way cricket could still be played to mitigate for these two potential problems. It's literally impossible.

My mistake, cricket was not safe this morning, but is safe again by the afternoon.

Sith Happens

Can't believe pubs were open at 6am today, Coronavirus or not who needs to be having a pint at that time of day?

16 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Can't believe pubs were open at 6am today, Coronavirus or not who needs to be having a pint at that time of day?

You ever caught an early morning flight? You will see hordes of early drinkers necking it down.

Sith Happens
12 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

You ever caught an early morning flight? You will see hordes of early drinkers necking it down.

Yeah I know, I sort of think thats a bit different to getting out of bed and nipping to the nearest spoons though.

Each to their own of course.

On 04/07/2020 at 12:27, ariotofmyown said:

Anyone in a pub or been to one yet? How is the 'only meeting people indoors from one other household' going?

I actually did end up having one in the pub this weekend. Hadn't planned on it, but we were out walking and got a bit thirsty. 

This particular pub was very quiet for a Sunday afternoon - maybe 10 people on the benches outside.

The good:

The pub was operating a one way system and had hand sanitiser outside the door to the bar.

Everyone was sat outside and stayed distant from each other.

The bad:

The door wasn't kept open so you had to touch the handle after applying hand sanitiser - which kind of defeats the point if there are some non-compliant patrons.

It was still bar service which actually wasn't too much of a problem as it was empty inside except for the fact only about 2ft of the approximately 30ft bar had a perspex screen and that was in the lounge and we were served in the bar... So not particularly good for the staff.

Never had our names taken or anything so lets hope there isn't an outbreak stemming from there or we'll never know.

14 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

I actually did end up having one in the pub this weekend. Hadn't planned on it, but we were out walking and got a bit thirsty. 

This particular pub was very quiet for a Sunday afternoon - maybe 10 people on the benches outside.

The good:

The pub was operating a one way system and had hand sanitiser outside the door to the bar.

Everyone was sat outside and stayed distant from each other.

The bad:

The door wasn't kept open so you had to touch the handle after applying hand sanitiser - which kind of defeats the point if there are some non-compliant patrons.

It was still bar service which actually wasn't too much of a problem as it was empty inside except for the fact only about 2ft of the approximately 30ft bar had a perspex screen and that was in the lounge and we were served in the bar... So not particularly good for the staff.

Never had our names taken or anything so lets hope there isn't an outbreak stemming from there or we'll never know.

Same here - Sunday afternoon impromptu pint as we went to get some take-out but it was sunny and there were only a handful of people in the beer garden. Everything was really well organised. A one-way system, hand sanitiser available, contactless-only payments, no one allowed to stand up and drink (ie you had to sit at your table and stay there!), table service only.

That's a quiet local out of town independent boozer though - they have a vested interest in making this work, and so do the regulars/locals. You still wouldn't get me anywhere near a spoons or any kind of townie fighting pub

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Second week running that ONS recorded weekly deaths are below the 5 year average.

Figures for the week ending 26 June 2020 show the deaths were 314 below the 5 year average despite 606 Covid 19 deaths being recorded.

So what this says is that even with Covid the UK has miraculously healed itself in other areas, despite there being no cancer checks , delayed treatments, avoidance of GPs etc.

So being facetious here: staying away from the NHS actually improves life expectancy!

Moral of the story here is avoid statistics like the plague (Covid).

26 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

So what this says is that even with Covid the UK has miraculously healed itself in other areas, despite there being no cancer checks , delayed treatments, avoidance of GPs etc.

So being facetious here: staying away from the NHS actually improves life expectancy!

Moral of the story here is avoid statistics like the plague (Covid).

I think this is going to be a pattern we see as the year progresses where weekly deaths will be below the 5 year average.

People who would have died later on in the year were finished off earlier by Covid 19.

Of course there may be a second wave and my theory will leave me looking stupid (not that I need much help on the front).

Archived