v Fulham (H) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

Thank goodness the day shift has clocked on. The post match aftermath of kneejerk negativity and inevitable blame game from the usual suspects is replaced by reasoned analysis from posters who appreciated what was an entertaining game. I thought on balance of play a draw was probably fair but we could have nicked it with a bit more clinical finishing and Rodaks heroics. Incidentally I thought Rodaks display typified goalies at this level, very poor against Barnsley yet excellent last night, its the inconsistency that keeps them at Championship level

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just caught up with the game, not bad that. Makes reading the misery posts this morning even more bemusing. Really impressed with Bird and don't need to repeat the praises already sung in this thread, he's been a welcome surprise positive from a personal point of view, didn't think he had it in him at this level yet. 

Couple of winnable away games coming up, hopefully we can get some points. 

6 hours ago, Jourdan said:

19 points in the last 11 games.

It’s been comfortably top 6 form in the second half of the season.

When you think of the Luton, Bristol City, Huddersfield and Fulham games and how we squandered points, it could have been even better.

There is a case for us being possibly 6-10 points better off, on the balance of play.

Let’s see how Cocu approaches the last 12 games.

Another 5-6 wins and 20+ points on top of some spirited and competitive performances and there’d be definite cause for encouragement going into next season.

The biggest thing I would like to see is pieces falling into place and Cocu settling on his best eleven.

He is still making too many changes from week to week.

He made 3 changes from the Huddersfield game - Hamer back in for Roos because he couldn't play against his own team, Shinnie replacing the injured Holmes allowing Rooney to move further forward and be even more influential and Knight replacing Martin who seems to struggle to play 2 games in a week (and that's not a criticism given his medical history).

I guess you'd have kept Roos and Martin, making just the one change or you would have made different changes?

43 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

The ref: he made a few mistakes in my eyes ? but unusually, with the biggest, when Forsyth’s deflected “back pass” was picked up by Hamer and he gave Fulham the free-kick, he subsequently changed his mind. Admittedly there were about 23,000 Derby fans apoplectic with rage which may have had an influence. When the ball was travelling Forsyth clearly shouted for Hamer to “let it go out” but Hamer ignored that. 
I also thought a couple of the offsides given against us looked wrong . . . One of the asst refs {linesmen} was far too quick to flag in my view. 

4th official told him..... it was an easy mistake if a bit blindsided, thought he was very good all game. I’ll await the verdict of the resident bore on refs though ?

12 hours ago, Andicis said:

Way before my time. 

Josefzoon is definitely up there. A luxury player with no talent. Useless.

Yet we got him from Brentford? All the excellent players they've developed and sold on over the last few years I was very pleased when we signed him.I still reckon there's a player in there somewhere.

11 hours ago, Derby blood said:

Good game, so many positives since Christmas, u can now see how Cocu wants his teams to play, thought Bird was class at times, his reading of the game is excellent, also thought Rooney and Shinnie played well, Lawrence carried a threat all game, and a part from one bad pass from Wisdom he also had a good game, much more happy since Rooney joined, get a few ball playing centre backs in next season, and a new keeper, we will be banging on the door of promotion. 

"A FEW ball playing centre backs"? How many do you reckon we need?

7 hours ago, SKRam said:

Just climbed in bed having recorded game to watch after finishing work. Enjoyed it like many have said, their keeper had a terrific game which says it all. Positive vibes and if we keep Zoon I hope he can gain some confidence even in cameo appearances. Would love to see the lad start performing. Lawrence growing again in confidence, that continues and we’ll have a special player for next season. Night night everybody 

Agree about Zoon...when you think of the excellent players Brentford have developed and sold on over the last few years I'm sure there must be a decent player in there somewhere.

2 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

4th official told him..... it was an easy mistake if a bit blindsided, thought he was very good all game. I’ll await the verdict of the resident bore on refs though ?

Yes; it’s always good to see when a 4th official actually has a positive influence. The deflection was quite subtle so fairly understandable that the ref might not see it but the linesman should have, let alone the 4th official. 
So yes the ref wasn’t all that bad but we have had some shockers recently . . . 

C9A14D20-2CBD-4591-A8F1-08E7A5E3DD3F.jpeg

On 17/02/2020 at 00:26, cannable said:

Supposedly they’re a shadow of Jok’s side and they’re just grinding out results thanks to Mitrovic and the ‘keeper. 

Think I’d certainly play Davies to battle Mitrovic, see if he can marshal him like he did in the play-offs. 

Martin gets on well with their players still but he’ll be the pantomime villain from their fans’ point of view so he definitely starts. 

Not much of a system so it’ll be a case of matching their wingers 1v1, Fozzy and Wisdom if fit. 

See, I was right, we’d have won if we played Martin ??? Cocu out, me in!

2 hours ago, Patrick Rams said:

Yet we got him from Brentford? All the excellent players they've developed and sold on over the last few years I was very pleased when we signed him.I still reckon there's a player in there somewhere.

Quite interesting when you watch the team mates videos and all the squad seem to name him as the most skilful and quickest player in the squad. 

3 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

And a word for the Lino on the east stand side. Very diligent, kept up with play, drew refs attention to a lot of childish niggles close to the line. Well played I reckon. 

1 hour ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

I have been watching since 1970 and he wouldn’t even be in my top 20 of worst players ?

Agree ,, it’s just stunning how some latch on to a player and just go way way over the top and blind,,,

we have just not seen enough of him in game time to make such an outrageous claim, chances are those saying it are the same that tell us others like Marriott just need a run of games to be fairly judged , from what I’ve seen it’s a case of zoon perhaps not bringing enough when we don’t have the ball that is stopping him getting a run to show what he can be with it when on form

12 minutes ago, Archied said:

Agree ,, it’s just stunning how some latch on to a player and just go way way over the top and blind,,,

we have just not seen enough of him in game time to make such an outrageous claim, chances are those saying it are the same that tell us others like Marriott just need a run of games to be fairly judged , from what I’ve seen it’s a case of zoon perhaps not bringing enough when we don’t have the ball that is stopping him getting a run to show what he can be with it when on form

We've seen plenty of him since July 18 and 38 appearances, 2 goals. Two managers have tried him and found him wanting, doesn't deliver enough with or without the ball. True we have signed worse in recent seasons but I feel he is one for the recycle bin

37 minutes ago, jono said:

And a word for the Lino on the east stand side. Very diligent, kept up with play, drew refs attention to a lot of childish niggles close to the line. Well played I reckon. 

One of the up and comers him.....watch out for him in the middle for EFL in a few seasons.....

Archived