v Fulham (H) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

4 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

4th official told him..... it was an easy mistake if a bit blindsided, thought he was very good all game. I’ll await the verdict of the resident bore on refs though ?

The ref was decent, gave a few soft free kicks to both sides.

He wouldn't have been able to see the touch from his view, but the assistant should have seen it, he was 5 yards away, that was poor. 

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really enjoyed the game last night( apart from the weather) . I would say a perfect advert for championship football. They are the better team and it showed, we however were the better team on the night. If I was a Fulham fan I would urge Mr Parker to just go for games from the kick off. Ala Steve Macs first year at Derby. They have the class to storm to promotion if they utilise their quality to the full. The only regret I have was taking Waghorn off. He didn’t look jaded, ok put Marriott on but move Waghorn wide and not put Zoon on. Waghorn, even with 75 minutes of running in his legs would have created more and would definitely have finished from 5 foot out. That sub cost us the win we deserved imho. Play like that against Man U and I reckon that’s a 50/50 game to reach the quarterfinals. 

45 minutes ago, 1967RAMS said:

If you listened to the radio, I assume you couldn’t attend last night. We indeed, created the better chances but disagree about being the better team. I think we played almost to our max, whilst they played a little a within themselves ( ooh err). There are plenty of teams who have managed great things by playing at 100% every game. We, in recent years have achieved an average of possibility 75%.  Our new strategy of playing and buying, young hungry talent, should enable us to get much closer to 100% and not wasting tens of millions on people like Butterfield, Blackman, Johnson et el 

1 hour ago, 1967RAMS said:

Really enjoyed the game last night( apart from the weather) . I would say a perfect advert for championship football. They are the better team and it showed, we however were the better team on the night. If I was a Fulham fan I would urge Mr Parker to just go for games from the kick off. Ala Steve Macs first year at Derby. They have the class to storm to promotion if they utilise their quality to the full. The only regret I have was taking Waghorn off. He didn’t look jaded, ok put Marriott on but move Waghorn wide and not put Zoon on. Waghorn, even with 75 minutes of running in his legs would have created more and would definitely have finished from 5 foot out. That sub cost us the win we deserved imho. Play like that against Man U and I reckon that’s a 50/50 game to reach the quarterfinals. 

?  I agree with you entirely ?

1 hour ago, sunnyhill60 said:

We've seen plenty of him since July 18 and 38 appearances, 2 goals. Two managers have tried him and found him wanting, doesn't deliver enough with or without the ball. True we have signed worse in recent seasons but I feel he is one for the recycle bin

Not gonna argue with you on the move him on as we wanted and expected more ,my bug bear is with some that claim him as the worst player to wear a Derby shirt ?, similarly the few that can’t give Lawrence the due credit he deserves for his recent form make my wonder where their heads are and if they may have the odd injunction knocking about 

Just now, 1967RAMS said:

Look at the table. They Are top 3 we aren’t. Today we had far more clear cut chances than them. Simple logic surely???

No that logical ?

1 hour ago, 1967RAMS said:

Look at the table. They Are top 3 we aren’t. Today we had far more clear cut chances than them. Simple logic surely???

“They are the better team and it showed”.  How were we the better team than them on the night, but they somehow managed to show us they were the better team based on the same performance? 

Thought the whole team played well last night , a masterclass from Rooney but id like to give a big shout out for 2 players who i think sometimes go under the radar with some fans , Matt Clarke and Fozzy , both had their best performances last night , so pleased for Foz after his awful injuries , looks to be getting back to his best

Here's Johnny Come Lately at last:

Wow! That was a terrific game of football. I was expecting a really tough match and hoped we could keep up with Fulham, but got much better than that! Thank you Derby County!

In most matchday threads there are comments about players who have made mistakes or been poor, but last night I think my only "complaint", if you can call it that, was Ben Hamer's insistence on waiting for 2 or 3 hours after picking the ball up before trying to pass it out to a team mate. On most occasions there was an instant out ball to a player who had made the run into space, but the keeper simply waited until everybody was marked up. Ironically the only time he ran to the edge of the box to throw the ball upfield he was blocked and hampered by two Fulham players! Ho hum. better luck next time Ben. Thanks for trying!

I have a problem with Cocu's constant tinkering with the team as he sets us up to counter what the opposition might do, and often wonder what would happen if we just play to our strengths and let rip at them and let them worry about what we can do to them. But last night, Cocu's approach paid dividends. It wasn't glory football last night, it was very disciplined and we did manage to contain Fulham pretty well. An example is Jason Night - as has been mentioned he clearly wasn't a winger last night, but that wasn't his job. He did a really good job of stifling Fulham's forwards flow down their left. Same with Tom Lawrence who wasn't himself flowing or marauding forwards, or floating from wing and into the Number 10 role and back. Instead he did lots of defensive work, and lots of tracking back, and seems to have learned how to tackle without giving away silly fouls.

Even so, we created by far the better chances bar the Fulham goal, and one chance almost immediately after which should have put them in front. Mostly Fulham were very pretty in the middle of the park but hardly produced any threat for much of the match. It took them until around 55 minutes to muster only their second attempt on goal with a shot that sailed over the bar. To quote TuffLuff if it wasn't for "a keeper with the reach of inspector gadget" we'd have won. The only time we got sloppy it allowed the build up to the equaliser. That apart, the defence were excellent. Particular mention goes to Matt Clarke whose defensive play has improved no end, but also his skill on the ball is noticeably better. He will probably never be a Franz Beckenbauer, (that dates me!) but he is much more comfortable on the ball nowadays. Congrats to whoever is coaching him!

But here is my dilemma: once Fulham had equalised, Cocu changed it up and suddenly we were tearing into Fulham, and it may well be that another 5 or 10 minutes and we' have got the winner. So firstly, why so late with the substitutions? And why wait till we have been pegged back before going on the offensive? Maybe we were taking advantage of tired legs, but surely if we can play like that, why don't we play like that? And did we invite the equaliser by trying to sit back and defend a 1 - 0 lead when we don't have the personnel to do that? 

And, just for Mafiabob: THE REF WAS ABSOLUTELY IMPERIOUS LAST NIGHT! (Pssst - actually he was pretty poor for the first half, when the Southern softies discovered that all they had to do to get a free-kick was to fall down). He was much improved for the second half, and having seen it on playback, I think the penalty decision was a bit harsh. Maybe the was a bit of payback for the awful backpass decision!

And credit must go to the fans. Despite not taking the chances he has had, the fans really got behind Josefzoon when he came on last night. And yes he did manage that airshot when it was easier to score, but he really did bring something to the match with his direct running and ability to beat a man. As someone else has mentioned, I think he is like Marriott and needs an elongated run in the team to get his confidence going. But instead of a banquet, he has to get by on the crumbs which fall from the table that everyone else is feasting at.

In the end the result itself is not too important in the context of where we have come from. Getting into the play-offs would be nice, but after being "Franked" we should still be looking at a mid-table finish and then launch into the stratosphere next season. All we should expect is for the players to leave everything on the pitch, which they did last night, and that we see progress being made, which we saw last night. 

What's not to like?

On 21/02/2020 at 21:50, Srg said:

Deserved to win that. 

Rodak has had a blinder unfortunately and despite not having much of the ball, we created the better chances throughout the game.

Thought Lawrence was brilliant today, particularly off the ball. Such a disciplined display that we’ve never really seen from him. A selfless team player who made countless tackles and still carried our biggest threat going forward. 

Clarke had a good game but Curtis continues to look finished. We struggle to play out from the back with this back line and it really hurts us at times, as it particularly did first half. 

Not interested in attributing blame for the goal personally, but Wisdom’s clearance when it was so easy to go to Hamer was just as bad as Bogle’s error last week, but I doubt he will get the same comments for it. 

agree totally, wisdom has been excellent in the main since coming back in but that was a howler, then compounded by neither him or Davies totally losing mitrovic ... as good a finish as it was 

honestly prefer to see wisdom centrally with what we have but that means in my book we have to play fozzy otherwise we look susceptible from set pieces like Luton away 

bogle would obviously come in at right back but I won’t lie in current form both him and lowe scare me defensively, but then they’re still young and learning and won’t get better sat on the sidelines 

8 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

I have a problem with Cocu's constant tinkering with the team as he sets us up to counter what the opposition might do, and often wonder what would happen if we just play to our strengths and let rip at them and let them worry about what we can do to t here is my dilemma: once Fulham had equalised, Cocu changed it up and suddenly we were tearing into Fulham, and it may well be that another 5 or 10 minutes and we' have got the winner. So firstly, why so late with the substitutions? And why wait till we have been pegged back before going on the offensive? Maybe we were taking advantage of tired legs, but surely if we can play like that, why don't we play like that? And did we invite the equaliser by trying to sit back and defend a 1 - 0 lead when we don't have the personnel to do that? 

I really enjoy your posts, agree with most of them every time, insightful and accurate. 

I also mentioned the point i quoted you on, that's my biggest frustration with Cocu, while i understand him not going full pelt attack from the off (although I'd love it) why is it always that we only start to go very offensive when we're in danger of losing? Poor Marriott has mostly been thrown on to chase the game and i just wish he'd let us be a bit more attacking, or at least get 2 goals before we shut up shop. 

Doesn't detract from the Fulham performance, but a long term aspect I'd like to change. 

On 22/02/2020 at 08:40, DCFC Ram said:

ditto Lawrence /  ditto Bird v Fulham

one makes some effort when it suits him / one makes effort all the time 

Think you're a bit late to the Lawrence hating party.

If youd posted the above about 3 months ago I think most would have agreed with you.

However, last month he has been very good and possibly even our best player.

You need to lose your mindset of thinking a player is going to have a bad match before it's even kicked off and actually watch what happens on the pitch.

On 21/02/2020 at 17:35, David said:

Replace Holmes with Knight, start Marriott, play 3 at the back instructing Wisdom to sit on Mitrovic all night, shadow him all over the pitch. Do that whilst putting the ball in the net more times than them and I think we can win.

When I was running a local side - I put one of my less talented but very enthusiastic players on a danger man and told him not to let him get more than a yard away.

During a break in play the opposition danger man was doing his lace up and my player (who had been doing very well) came running over and said "How am I doing boss ? " I said "Where is he now ?" he said " Over there doing his lace up " I said " So what are you doing here - get over there and stand next to him"

I did feel bad and bought him a pint after the game, he was my man of the match that day and his selflessness help us to get a narrow win against a side that should have beat us.

6 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

After the milestone of 500 games and the brilliant penalty I would have expected to have heard more from Wayne Rooney himself on Radio Derby or the club website. He seems to be somewhat of a shrinking violet, in contrast to others in the squad or Cocu. 

Horrible man

Archived