Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

44 minutes ago, Archied said:

He may also have realised that we paid a fair few bob for Marriott, he has undoubtedly got potential , he is young so sellable at profit ,he has different qualities to Martin and waghorn 

all of which may make him realise that if he can get him ,Martin and waghorn firing it’s fantastic for the club but hey he could just go down the route of recent past managers and assign him to the scrap heap blowing the money we shelled out ,waste wages and let him go on a free 

I do wonder some times

Who said anything about throwing him on the scrap heap and selling him for nothing? He’s obviously got value, which is good news cause we can probably recoup our original outlay on him. 

But we should sell if we have the opportunity imo. Some may say he has a “different skillset”, I would just say he’s not very good. He’s got one trick running in behind, and that’s about it. He’s miles off being as good as Waghorn, and even further off Martin.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Who said anything about throwing him on the scrap heap and selling him for nothing? He’s obviously got value, which is good news cause we can probably recoup our original outlay on him. 

But we should sell if we have the opportunity imo. Some may say he has a “different skillset”, I would just say he’s not very good. He’s got one trick running in behind, and that’s about it. He’s miles off being as good as Waghorn, and even further off Martin.

Sorry thought you said he’s had his chance and blown it ? 
perhaps if cocu can do anything along the lines of what’s happening with Tom l we are on a winner but of course that means or kin with him ,giving him some minutes as sub and some starts

1 minute ago, Archied said:

Sorry thought you said he’s had his chance and blown it ? 

How does that insinuate that he needs be thrown on the scrap heap and let go for nothing?! Cocu gave him his chance against QPR - he was awful and was hauled off after 60 minutes, so he blew it. And it’s not for the first time either. I don’t think Cocu particularly rates him as he rarely keeps his place in the team, so based on that performance he’s gonna have to work extremely hard in training/ off the bench to get another chance. If not, he’s highly likely to be sold while we can make our money back imo.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

How does that insinuate that he needs be thrown on the scrap heap and let go for nothing?! Cocu gave him his chance against QPR - he was awful and was hauled off after 60 minutes, so he blew it. And it’s not for the first time either. I don’t think Cocu particularly rates him as he rarely keeps his place in the team, so based on that performance he’s gonna have to work extremely hard in training/ off the bench to get another chance. If not, he’s highly likely to be sold while we can make our money back imo.

Do you think it’s poss he may have been working extremely hard in training to get his start ? Let’s face it loads on here say his form is down to not getting a run of games ,

lets just have it right , opinions are great we all have them and that’s why we are on here but when they are peddled being way more informed than a manger doing a decent job with the aid of hindsight don’t expect not to be pulled and you own contraindications pointed out

9 minutes ago, Archied said:

Do you think it’s poss he may have been working extremely hard in training to get his start ? Let’s face it loads on here say his form is down to not getting a run of games ,

lets just have it right , opinions are great we all have them and that’s why we are on here but when they are peddled being way more informed than a manger doing a decent job with the aid of hindsight don’t expect not to be pulled and you own contraindications pointed out

Yes I do? Where have I said anything other than that? He just blew it when he got his chance. That’s literally all I’ve said. I’ve not contradicted myself, and I’ve not criticised the manager for his handling of the striker situation. I’ve said hopefully he’s got the evidence now from the past couple of games to see that Martin is better than Marriott - he was absolutely right to give both a chance and see what happened, in order to be fair to both. I agree with every decision he’s made in that respect. I just hope he now sticks with Martin, so long as he’s fit enough.

Think you’re looking for things that I haven’t actually said...

My view is that you have to set up a team around your striker and your system...as a centre forward, Martin is a ideal for for cocu who clearly wants a target man who can hold up and distribute the ball....waghorn also fits into this role well ,(not as well as Martin admittedly but it's in his locker and he has his own attribute of greater pace) whereas Marriott just doesn't fit the system and the team isn't built around him as the striker.

In another team with a system that suited him,he's no doubt still lethal but in a Derby side under cocu he's lost.

Better to sell on for his own careers sake.

20 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Yes I do? Where have I said anything other than that? He just blew it when he got his chance. That’s literally all I’ve said. I’ve not contradicted myself, and I’ve not criticised the manager for his handling of the striker situation. I’ve said hopefully he’s got the evidence now from the past couple of games to see that Martin is better than Marriott - he was absolutely right to give both a chance and see what happened, in order to be fair to both. I agree with every decision he’s made in that respect. I just hope he now sticks with Martin, so long as he’s fit enough.

Think you’re looking for things that I haven’t actually said...

Me I hope he finds a way to get them all firing , do you ever read your own posts? Hope he’s learnt Martin is better than Marriott , job done 

11 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

My view is that you have to set up a team around your striker and your system...as a centre forward, Martin is a ideal for for cocu who clearly wants a target man who can hold up and distribute the ball....waghorn also fits into this role well ,(not as well as Martin admittedly but it's in his locker and he has his own attribute of greater pace) whereas Marriott just doesn't fit the system and the team isn't built around him as the striker.

In another team with a system that suited him,he's no doubt still lethal but in a Derby side under cocu he's lost.

Better to sell on for his own careers sake.

At this point I agree with you but cocu has brought something out I. Lawrence that I honestly thought was not in there so I’m kind of open to cocu mixing him ( Marriott)in with starts and sub appearances if that’s the route he chooses ,, his handling of Martin shows he is no mug , he is binging out the matin we all knew and loved

Our best striker, fiercely loyal despite being farmed out by successive managers, loves the club. Chrissy Martin is a Ram and a Ram he'll stay.

Quick shout out to those arch Chris Martin fanboys, Toddy and Ninos, both of whom will be doubtless be delighted to see that reports of Chris' demise appear to have been greatly exaggerated ?

9 minutes ago, Archied said:

Me I hope he finds a way to get them all firing , do you ever read your own posts? Hope he’s learnt Martin is better than Marriott , job done 

So do I? I just don’t think he will, because I don’t think Marriott is very hood. I don’t think Cocu does either. 

15 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

So do I? I just don’t think he will, because I don’t think Marriott is very hood. I don’t think Cocu does either. 

Yet he started him at qpr? Are you sure your actually thinking posts through a?

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Yet he started him at qpr? Are you sure your actually thinking posts through a?

That doesn’t necessarily mean he thinks he’s very good. Just that he deserved a chance to show what he can do, which he did based on previous performances by Waghorn and Martin. And what he showed wasn’t enough, which is why he didn’t start yesterday, quite rightly. 

Do you think Cocu rates Josefzoon, Paterson and Dowell just because he’s given them starts this season?

Will be sad to see him go if he moves on. Been treated pretty shabbily by a number of managers but never caused a fuss or spoken out of term. 

If people had seen what he could offer and used him properly maybe we would have got over the line before now.

We're not looking super long term with Rooney so no reason why we can't utilise Martin in the same way, an experienced head who can help young players bed on around them for the next 18 months. With the attacking mids we have Martin could probably hit 15+, whilst also laying on an increased number of midfield goals. 

7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

That doesn’t necessarily mean he thinks he’s very good. Just that he deserved a chance to show what he can do, which he did based on previous performances by Waghorn and Martin. And what he showed wasn’t enough, which is why he didn’t start yesterday, quite rightly. 

Do you think Cocu rates Josefzoon, Paterson and Dowell just because he’s given them starts this season?

See there you go again , you don’t know don’t know that cocu didn’t think sheff weds wasn’t going to be the type of game for him ,you don’t know that he may have been picked and had a stormer ,you don’t know that he won’t start him in the next game based on training and martins illness/ physical stats and if he does start and have a stormer doesn’t mean he won’t think Martin the best option up front for the game after that

he appears to be trying to build a squad that he can pick a team from each week to go out and get the job done ,

zoon he already knows well enough before Derby , Paterson and dowell I’m guessing we’re loans that he felt didn’t bring enough to keep our own players and youngsters out so not worth keeping 

3 hours ago, Rample said:

Will be sad to see him go if he moves on. Been treated pretty shabbily by a number of managers but never caused a fuss or spoken out of term. 

If people had seen what he could offer and used him properly maybe we would have got over the line before now.

We're not looking super long term with Rooney so no reason why we can't utilise Martin in the same way, an experienced head who can help young players bed on around them for the next 18 months. With the attacking mids we have Martin could probably hit 15+, whilst also laying on an increased number of midfield goals. 

Martin is not as old as we often think , not sure about treated shabbily stuff it’s horses for courses ,we have a manager now who can find a spot for him and is able to start bringing the best out in him those that didn’t fancy him in they’re team let him out on loan to try to get regular football 

36 minutes ago, Archied said:

Martin is not as old as we often think , not sure about treated shabbily stuff it’s horses for courses ,we have a manager now who can find a spot for him and is able to start bringing the best out in him those that didn’t fancy him in they’re team let him out on loan to try to get regular football 

I doubt Chris Martin needs any assistance from Cocu to get the best out of himself other than to be selected to start.

56 minutes ago, sunnyhill60 said:

I doubt Chris Martin needs any assistance from Cocu to get the best out of himself other than to be selected to start.

Really? No your spot on there is no president whatsoever for players playing better under certain managers since time began?,, 

let’s get rid of the managers and coaches , stick Chrissy out every week and we are up

woo hoo job done 

noticing that if you challenge the constant negative posters the replies get dafter and dafter , next you will be telling me I’m not allowing you to have an opinion rather than pointing out the daft ness of the post

Archived