Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

40 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I think chris martin will sign the new contract.

Lets hope that his family is settled and happy here and he remembers it just hasnt worked anywhere else over last couple of years. Just remember that buzz around Pride Park when he first came on as sub this season. He wont get that anywhere else 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since we seem to have no money, extending his contract is probably our best option, but we are probably pissing him off in the process.

did anyone notice his goal celebration?

27 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Since we seem to have no money, extending his contract is probably our best option, but we are probably pissing him off in the process.

What makes you think we have no money

8 hours ago, RamNut said:

Do you know what he’s been offered? Does he have the right to be pi55ed off?

20 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Do you know what he’s been offered? Does he have the right to be pi55ed off?

Well there have been negotiations, and word on the street is we have 'no money', so maybe he's pissed off. Or maybe its all negotiations - afterall why not do a Huddz if you're definitely moving on?

12 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I mostly agree with your point, but it doesn’t explain why Marriott and Waghorn get shots off more regularly than Martin - 3.5 and 2.6 vs 1.7 shots per 90

Well with Waggers it's definitely because he's been playing deeper for some games so gets shots off on the run

I fully admit though that Marriott and Waggers are probably getting more shots in because they play off the shoulder which Martin does a lot less - However the comparison with Mitrovic is there and he mostly plays back to goal like Martin

Also, it really highlights even further how good Martin's shots per goal ratio is! He has nearly the same number of goals from half the shots! (I suspect mostly this season that's down to him playing very unselfishly)

26 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well there have been negotiations, and word on the street is we have 'no money', so maybe he's pissed off. Or maybe its all negotiations - afterall why not do a Huddz if you're definitely moving on?

I guess there is a subtle difference between "we're pi55ing him off" and he's "pi55ed off" . The former implies the club have made him an insulting offer whilst the latter implies the offer is reasonable but not what he wants. We'll never know. 

He can accept the offer or he can decline it - this time last year there would have been no offer based on appearances for us.

good luck to him if he moves on but I will be glad if he stays as we need options in the forward line up 

10 hours ago, Cocu_Doodle_Do said:

What makes you think we have no money

We could not/would not pay Carson his agreed contract so loaned him out.No income this spring/summer.We must “owe”Morris a colossal amount of money now.who would be interested in investing when we don’t own our own ground?

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I guess there is a subtle difference between "we're pi55ing him off" and he's "pi55ed off" . The former implies the club have made him an insulting offer whilst the latter implies the offer is reasonable but not what he wants. We'll never know. 

Indeed - and he could just be hacked off because of the timing of it all......in more "normal" times he might have thought he would generate a lot of interest that perhaps in current times he isn't getting. Not his fault, shizzle happens....

The only thing wrong with Chris Martins game at the mo is our midfield , no drive or pace to get forward and support Chris , he played his best football with Russell and Bryson type players , take note Mr Cocu for your summer recruiting, if Chris stays of course

I understand complaints that he’s one dimensional and slow but Marriott is equally one dimensional.

Yeah, Martin doesn’t run in behind effectively but when does Marriott ever hold the ball up well? Waghorn’s the most versatile of the three but it doesn’t equal a brilliant striker, if anything Waggy’s a bit of a master of none.
More dimensions has its value but it’s very difficult in the championship to find someone who is multi-dimensional and genuinely good.

There’s a phrase in NFL analytical circles that I think is relevant to the championship: eliteness over completeness.

You can find players in the championship who are elite in one area, for Martin it’s hold up play and for Marriott it’s playing off the shoulder. You’re better off building around those elite traits and accentuating them, that’s how you get value out of squads without paying massive money.

It’s what we’ve done with Bird’s holding role in midfield, we let him drop off and dictate the tempo with his passing. Resulted in a very valuable player that we can build around and compliment.

53 minutes ago, Turnstile said:

We could not/would not pay Carson his agreed contract so loaned him out.No income this spring/summer.We must “owe”Morris a colossal amount of money now.who would be interested in investing when we don’t own our own ground?

Why do we owe Mel a colossal amount?

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Unsustainable wages is the short answer.Mel has  put so much money in £200 million I have seen quoted last year plus running costs for 12 months since then.

6 hours ago, Premier ram said:

The only thing wrong with Chris Martins game at the mo is our midfield

That and he tires massively after an hour or so and becomes much less effective, misplaces more passes, gets tackled more easily and is more easily marked out of the game in open play.

It's been noticeable recently that in the first half of games he's been popping up all over the pitch to make those little layoffs (think when he set Lawrence away from near our own corner flag against Brentford) but as the game goes on he stays upfront more and can't get in the game.

Yeah he needs more support from the midfield, we need to get the ball to him more often and get close to him, as has always been the case, but we can't just pretend that he hasn't become less mobile and that it isn't a problem in itself when he does tire.

Archived