Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, rynny said:

What some would have to remember is that Martin is this generations Bobby D, King Kev, John O'Hare etc, some of the younger fans ( @Millenniumram for instance started watching us in *that* season, and @DarkFruitsRam7 will be a similar period) they will have only seen Conor Sammon, Theo Robinson, Chris Maguire, Steve Davies, Rob Hulse, Nathan Ellington, Tito Villa, Rob Earnshaw, Steve Howard, it isn't exactly much to chose from.

My first season with a season ticket was Rasiak, I think. Other than that your list is sound.

I was technically a Derby fan when we were in the PL in the 90s but I found following the club quite tricky - I could name our players from that era now but would have struggled at the time. None of my family really followed them.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DRBee said:

Is this guilt talking , cos there were plenty who didn't rate him . Just look back to posts August/September to find people who wanted rid and didn't rate him. That's not including those from previous seasons commenting when he was sent out on loan that he was past it. 

You call some "equally obsessive Martin worshippers" as though they are the other side of the same coin. At least the Martin worshippers have some facts to justify their belief ( like the numbers of goals scored for the club  or the range of skills he shows when touching the ball ) what have the dismissers got to justify themselves.

You clearly don't get that for some some supporters watching skillful players is part of why we come to games to watch live football. Yesterday Martin's skill was on view for all to see. Other players offer different things and I got as much enjoyment watching Sibley and Bird as i did from watching Martin.

Simply superb post, Sir. 

4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

My first season with a season ticket was Rasiak, I think. Other than that your list is sound.

I was technically a Derby fan when we were in the PL in the 90s but I found following the club quite tricky - I could name our players from that era now but would have struggled at the time. None of my family really followed them.

It gets worse with some of the strikers before where I started, Stern John, Dexter Blackstock, Kevin Lisbie, Dean Houldsworth (played CB for us though didn't he?) Danny Graham, Tommy Mooney, Nick Chadwick, Noel Whealan, Danny Dichio, Manel, Izale McLeod, Lee Bradbury. 

The pick of the  strikers in that period for me, Peschisolido, Tommy Smith, Tudgay, John Stead, Junior and Svennson, El Hamdoui, and the last 3 are pushing it slightly. 

Just now, rynny said:

It gets worse with some of the strikers before where I started, Stern John, Dexter Blackstock, Kevin Lisbie, Dean Houldsworth (played CB for us though didn't he?) Danny Graham, Tommy Mooney, Nick Chadwick, Noel Whealan, Danny Dichio, Manel, Izale McLeod, Lee Bradbury. 

The pick of the  strikers in that period for me, Peschisolido, Tommy Smith, Tudgay, John Stead, Junior and Svennson, El Hamdoui, and the last 3 are pushing it slightly. 

A few of those names ring a bell with me (with my childhood memory rather than my knowledge of Derby) but I think they were before me actually attending games. I used to love Pesch though of course. Who didn't?

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

Blimey, that is a depressing list. It's like a who's who list of shi'ite strikers. 

57 minutes ago, rynny said:

What some would have to remember is that Martin is this generations Bobby D, King Kev, John O'Hare etc, some of the younger fans ( @Millenniumram for instance started watching us in *that* season, and @DarkFruitsRam7 will be a similar period) they will have only seen Conor Sammon, Theo Robinson, Chris Maguire, Steve Davies, Rob Hulse, Nathan Ellington, Tito Villa, Rob Earnshaw, Steve Howard, it isn't exactly much to chose from.

Oi, I started watching in 06/07 so don't you dare lump Stevie Howard in with that lot!?

2 hours ago,  TuffLuff said: 

Well I liked Chris Martin BEFORE it was cool.

All these posts from Johnny come latelys...where were you in the dark old days when we had to fight FOR PAGES AT A TIME about our love for Martin?!? We stuck to our guns why you dined out on false idols like ‘Nuge’ and ‘Matej’.

Excuse me whilst I dine out on this moment.
Spot on TuffLuff, tell it like it is, I’m with you all the way on this; I’ve been a Martin fan since he arrived, and have appreciated his contribution throughout, unlike 3 managers who just ‘didn’t get it’ ! 

1 hour ago, rynny said:

To be fair I did watch a few games before that season (first game in 2004 and I was at the 2007 PO final), but that season was the first one I vividly remember... for all the wrong reasons of course... 

Some of those strikers scarred me as a child

43 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Oi, I started watching in 06/07 so don't you dare lump Stevie Howard in with that lot!?

I was just listing the strikers we had, as I said, there isn't much to chose from, Howard, Hulse and Davies (when not injured) were good players for us.

Theo Robinson will always be one of the biggest enigmas in our history, one of the worst players, technique wise, I have seen play for us, but some how managed to score goals, the most ridiculous being against Hull away, almost as bad as Sammon's against Leeds. 

14 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

To be fair I did watch a few games before that season (first game in 2004 and I was at the 2007 PO final), but that season was the first one I vividly remember... for all the wrong reasons of course... 

Some of those strikers scarred me as a child

I saw you post that your first season was *that* season, so knew that you were too young to have seen the likes of Wanchope, Baiano, Sturridge etc

16 minutes ago, Ram8 said:

2 hours ago,  TuffLuff said: 

Well I liked Chris Martin BEFORE it was cool.

All these posts from Johnny come latelys...where were you in the dark old days when we had to fight FOR PAGES AT A TIME about our love for Martin?!? We stuck to our guns why you dined out on false idols like ‘Nuge’ and ‘Matej’.

Excuse me whilst I dine out on this moment.
Spot on TuffLuff, tell it like it is, I’m with you all the way on this; I’ve been a Martin fan since he arrived, and have appreciated his contribution throughout, unlike 3 managers who just ‘didn’t get it’ ! 

You do realise that it’s a bit more than just one right way that if you don’t get your clueless ? 

Rowetts team are above us making a run to the play offs in a very quick turn around of results and form,

pearson did fantastic before us and is managing now in the prem

lampard is in champions league spots with a young Chelsea team 

cocu sees something in him and has brought the best out in him again 

It’s  not personal or a maths test with defined answers , managers blend they’re teams the way they see it and want different things from different player in different positions, there no totally right or wrong way that lets us accuse managers of being clueless 

12 minutes ago, rynny said:

I saw you post that your first season was *that* season, so knew that you were too young to have seen the likes of Wanchope, Baiano, Sturridge etc

Yeah I did slight exaggerate that for a joke the other day, but you’re right, I wasn’t even born to see most of them?

3 hours ago, Srg said:

When he's 34? Probably. Just don't see why you'd ever need to make that deal. No one is going to be competing on that plane for him. You'd just be outbidding yourself for no reason. You wouldn't rock up at a house auction and up the bid by £50,000 for no reason when you could win it for £500 more.

We can all acknowledge he's likely a top earner here from a time where that money was the norm. We are in a different place now, as is he. He's a realist and will likely know that too, he's seen the grass isn't always greener. We can likely offer less money than he's getting now which is still going to be competitive for what he'd get anywhere else, if not more, and still give him 1 or 2 years for it. Everyone wins there, whereas your proposal is just silly.

Apologies for not being clearer with my post

I'm assuming Martin is currently on around £30k a week - On the basis that's about what Keogh was on and you'd assume they'd be amongst the top earners

If we lose Martin at the end of this season then (IMO) we'd have to spend a lot more than £5m to find a replacement of his current quality

Martin himself is going to be after (probably) the final contract of his career at this point - So is going to be after 3 years - Or maybe 2 on decent wages

I think if we could get Martin on a 2 year deal at similar wages to what he's on now we'd be getting a decent deal still - And even if we gave him 3 years on the same wages it wouldn't be the end of the world, compared to having to bring someone in who'd cost a bundle up front AND be on decent wages too

Not in any way shape or form stating that we'd just offer him 3 years at £30k - Just saying it would be about the same cost to us as replacing him

35 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I'm assuming Martin is currently on around £30k a week - On the basis that's about what Keogh was on and you'd assume they'd be amongst the top earners

If we lose Martin at the end of this season then (IMO) we'd have to spend a lot more than £5m to find a replacement of his current quality

Martin himself is going to be after (probably) the final contract of his career at this point - So is going to be after 3 years - Or maybe 2 on decent wages

I think if we could get Martin on a 2 year deal at similar wages to what he's on now we'd be getting a decent deal still - And even if we gave him 3 years on the same wages it wouldn't be the end of the world, compared to having to bring someone in who'd cost a bundle up front AND be on decent wages too

Not in any way shape or form stating that we'd just offer him 3 years at £30k - Just saying it would be about the same cost to us as replacing him

I was going to post I'd offer to match any genuine offer of contract value and length he could come up.

Then realised Gibson at Boro would offer him 50k a week on a 10yr deal.

58 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I was going to post I'd offer to match any genuine offer of contract value and length he could come up.

Then realised Gibson at Boro would offer him 50k a week on a 10yr deal.

Leeds would have brought/would offer/would win * more.

* delete as appropriate 

2 hours ago, Archied said:

You do realise that it’s a bit more than just one right way that if you don’t get your clueless ? 

Rowetts team are above us making a run to the play offs in a very quick turn around of results and form,

pearson did fantastic before us and is managing now in the prem

lampard is in champions league spots with a young Chelsea team 

cocu sees something in him and has brought the best out in him again 

It’s  not personal or a maths test with defined answers , managers blend they’re teams the way they see it and want different things from different player in different positions, there no totally right or wrong way that lets us accuse managers of being clueless 

To be fair I didn’t say they were clueless. But let’s analyse ways of playing. So you have a tried and proven player, who scores & unlocks defences with his touches and who is an intelligent player and a leader and you say “oh I don’t want to play that way”. . . Can you explain why you wouldn’t want those qualities. . . What system actually doesn’t require speed of thought, deft touches, hold-up play, 2 feet, 360 degree vision? Lampard may be excused because I suspect CM’s illness was impacting when Lampard arrived and he needed to make rapid decisions in a short time {given Lampard’s agenda}; there is a saying which goes, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.  
In short football  is a simple game; don’t complicate it by overthinking and tinkering. 

3 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Good point, but It's probably not going to be possible to offer Martin that sort of money. When Cocu failed to bring in a player in the January window, he indicated that he couldn't get the player as DCFC has a wage structure. So assume that structure would have to be adhered to for any new contracts. 

Archived