Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

For some reason, I really like the fact that he says 'Col' when speaking to Gibson. Just a sign of respect.

Obviously has a good rapport with our 'Col'. I think there is a mutual respect. Our Col always seems to get a mention about CM into his interviews with Cocu too. CG is a closet Wardrobe fan me thinks.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's only 31, you couldn't blame him if he wanted a 2yr deal (at a reduced price maybe?)...

16 minutes ago, Srg said:

Maybe 1 year deal with playing time automatic extension clause. We did that with a few recently, like Curtis.

Said it before and I'll say it again

3 years @ £30k a week = £4.68m

Does anyone think we'd get a better number 9 than Martin for that money?

3 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Said it before and I'll say it again

3 years @ £30k a week = £4.68m

Does anyone think we'd get a better number 9 than Martin for that money?

When he's 34? Probably. Just don't see why you'd ever need to make that deal. No one is going to be competing on that plane for him. You'd just be outbidding yourself for no reason. You wouldn't rock up at a house auction and up the bid by £50,000 for no reason when you could win it for £500 more.

We can all acknowledge he's likely a top earner here from a time where that money was the norm. We are in a different place now, as is he. He's a realist and will likely know that too, he's seen the grass isn't always greener. We can likely offer less money than he's getting now which is still going to be competitive for what he'd get anywhere else, if not more, and still give him 1 or 2 years for it. Everyone wins there, whereas your proposal is just silly.

17 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Well I liked Chris Martin BEFORE it was cool.

All these posts from Johnny come latelys...where were you in the dark old days when we had to fight FOR PAGES AT A TIME about our love for Martin?!? We stuck to our guns why you dined out on false idols like ‘Nuge’ and ‘Matej’.

Excuse me whilst I dine out on this moment.

What an absolute pile of poop , in the main apart from a few who totaly don’t rate Martin in that obsessive style that is often vented on some of our players , most people were balanced in their view to the player but rightly niggled by the equally obsessive Martin worshipers 

4 minutes ago, Archied said:

What an absolute pile of poop , in the main apart from a few who totaly don’t rate Martin in that obsessive style that is often vented on some of our players , most people were balanced in their view to the player but rightly niggled by the equally obsessive Martin worshipers 

Not everything on the internet is serious mate

7 minutes ago, Archied said:

Is this guilt talking , cos there were plenty who didn't rate him . Just look back to posts August/September to find people who wanted rid and didn't rate him. That's not including those from previous seasons commenting when he was sent out on loan that he was past it. 

You call some "equally obsessive Martin worshippers" as though they are the other side of the same coin. At least the Martin worshippers have some facts to justify their belief ( like the numbers of goals scored for the club  or the range of skills he shows when touching the ball ) what have the dismissers got to justify themselves.

You clearly don't get that for some some supporters watching skillful players is part of why we come to games to watch live football. Yesterday Martin's skill was on view for all to see. Other players offer different things and I got as much enjoyment watching Sibley and Bird as i did from watching Martin.

2 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Is this guilt talking , cos there were plenty who didn't rate him . Just look back to posts August/September to find people who wanted rid and didn't rate him. That's not including those from previous seasons commenting when he was sent out on loan that he was past it. 

You call some "equally obsessive Martin worshippers" as though they are the other side of the same coin. At least the Martin worshippers have some facts to justify their belief ( like the numbers of goals scored for the club  or the range of skills he shows when touching the ball ) what have the dismissers got to justify themselves.

You clearly don't get that for some some supporters watching skillful players is part of why we come to games to watch live football. Yesterday Martin's skill was on view for all to see. Other players offer different things and I got as much enjoyment watching Sibley and Bird as i did from watching Martin.

yea tuff not everything on the internet is serious?,,, 

12 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Did anyone else notice the back-heel nutmeg he did yesterday? On the touchline right in front of the dugouts if I recall correctly. Proper mugged off the Blackburn player. Vintage Wardrobe, audacious bit of skill. 

Deserved to get the foul for that, but if he had retained the ball... between that and Sibley's goal I was going to get rid of my season ticket because I'd have completed football.

1 hour ago, Eatonram said:

Quite simply the best centre forward (of his type) since O'hare, and I've seen them all.

Whilst both quality I have to say in between we did have Paul Goddard who was also exceptional  although we didn’t have him long enough 

1 hour ago, Archied said:

What some would have to remember is that Martin is this generations Bobby D, King Kev, John O'Hare etc, some of the younger fans ( @Millenniumram for instance started watching us in *that* season, and @DarkFruitsRam7 will be a similar period) they will have only seen Conor Sammon, Theo Robinson, Chris Maguire, Steve Davies, Rob Hulse, Nathan Ellington, Tito Villa, Rob Earnshaw, Steve Howard, it isn't exactly much to chose from.

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

What some would have to remember is that Martin is this generations Bobby D, King Kev, John O'Hare etc, some of the younger fans ( @Millenniumram for instance started watching us in *that* season, and @DarkFruitsRam7 will be a similar period) they will have only seen Conor Sammon, Theo Robinson, Chris Maguire, Steve Davies, Rob Hulse, Nathan Ellington, Tito Villa, Rob Earnshaw, Steve Howard, it isn't exactly much to chose from.

Scary list ! 

Archived