Tom Lawrence appreciation thread

Big Trav

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

Of course,  but i am assuming racist abuse isn't louder??

You can either hear it or not. If someone has given him abuse then good on him for giving it back. 

Personally don't think abuse is acceptable in any form.

Didnt a player just the other week hear racist abuse where there was no evidence found of racist behaviour?

I'm probably wrong but if a player is focused I would think everything is background noise.

Obviously would hear moans and groans but to hear specifics that they respond to?

Just wondering where you draw the line on 'abuse' at football matches? What is the worst thing you have said at a match?

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, minesahartington said:

I accidentally listened to radio Derby phone in...call 1 was apparently the best mate of the  guy who Tom had a go back at after getting abuse. Sits next to him he said... it seems the bloke is so upset that Tom responded that he’s questioning whether he can go anymore..says the poor chap is distraught...what a halfwit. He will be bragging about it and living off that for years.      

Let’s all hope he decides he can’t go again.

22 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I watched his corners on Saturday.

We obviously work on our routines.

First corner, left arm up, hits their player at the near post about knee high.

Second corner, left arm up, hit out to to Rooney, edge of the area.

Third corner, left arm up, hit out beyond the back post.

Dont think his corners are much different to anyone else in this division but to call his corners excellent when we have scored 1 maybe 2 from them all season  is pushing it a little.

Not pushing it at all, I’ll say it again his corners are consistently good over this season.Dont just comment on Saturday have a look at other matches and you will see his delivery is very good in to the box.Just because we ain’t scored from these is not his fault,he is tasked with putting the ball into the box at pace and accuracy which he does on a regular match by match basis which is excellent and what is asked of him

17 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Sorry,  thought I responded earlier but looks like my post didnt submit.

Normally I would agree with you but think the circumstances are slightly different here.

Each to their own - I think he's a decent player and better than the other options we have - I think he's better than Anya (for example) who we payed £4m for and no-one gives him grief cos of that - And I think he works a lot harder than people give him credit for - In fact I think part of his problem often is he tries a little too hard, constantly trying to go that extra yard or score a blinder to try and silence his critics (of which I think he's one himself judging by his self-confidence)

I think most fans seem to have made up their mind about him and ignore any positive he does - But that's what all fans do - I've done it to players over the years too

I reckon I could count the number of good Lawrence performances this season on the same number of fingers as the good Derby performances btw - No one should be asking him to be perfect every game when none of our other players are 

6 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Each to their own - I think he's a decent player and better than the other options we have - I think he's better than Anya (for example) who we payed £4m for and no-one gives him grief cos of that - And I think he works a lot harder than people give him credit for - In fact I think part of his problem often is he tries a little too hard, constantly trying to go that extra yard or score a blinder to try and silence his critics (of which I think he's one himself judging by his self-confidence)

I think most fans seem to have made up their mind about him and ignore any positive he does - But that's what all fans do - I've done it to players over the years too

I reckon I could count the number of good Lawrence performances this season on the same number of fingers as the good Derby performances btw - No one should be asking him to be perfect every game when none of our other players are 

Comparing him to Anya, should not be a yardstick. Why not compare him to Jason Knight who cost us nothing?

Players should be judged on their own individual merit not compared to others.

His stats for an attacking player are really distinctly average (although not sure what I am comparing to there ?)

17 goals and 11 assists in 101 matches, so basically contributes to a goal every 4 matches.

I had stuck behind him for 2 and half seasons, even at Joiners gate but I finally saw through him on Boxing Day.

Half hearted footballer.

If he has personal problems fine, go away and get them sorted. I'm sure fans would back him all the way on that.

But keep on playing average/poor week in week out and then giving it the big un when you do something half decent isnt going to wash with a lot of fans I'm afraid.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Comparing him to Anya, should not be a yardstick. Why not compare him to Jason Knight who cost us nothing?

Players should be judged on their own individual merit not compared to others.

His stats for an attacking player are really distinctly average (although not sure what I am comparing to there ?)

17 goals and 11 assists in 101 matches, so basically contributes to a goal every 4 matches.

I had stuck behind him for 2 and half seasons, even at Joiners gate but I finally saw through him on Boxing Day.

Half hearted footballer.

If he has personal problems fine, go away and get them sorted. I'm sure fans would back him all the way on that.

But keep on playing average/poor week in week out and then giving it the big un when you do something half decent isnt going to wash with a lot of fans I'm afraid.

G STAR just remind me what thread title was again set up by Big Trav

suggest you go and set up a I want Lawrence out thread as all you want to do is call Tom out on here.Some of us are happy to highlight his strengths under his difficult circumstances over the last 2 seasons.

2 minutes ago, dcfc4ever said:

suggest you go and set up a I want Lawrence out thread as all you want to do is call Tom out on here.Some of us are happy to highlight his strengths under his difficult circumstances over the last 2 seasons.

I dont want him out.

Said he is an average Championship player, and we are currently an average Championship team.

What are his difficult circumstances over the past 2 seasons?

As far as I'm aware, his mum died right near the end of last season.

Any difficult circumstances this season are of his own making.

I urge you all to listen to the first caller on the Radio Derby moan in.

The guy called up about his mate Les who was the one that abused Lawrence in the west stand, his mate Les is so distraught that he’s not sure he can ever go back to pride park!!

30 seconds later Les messaged in on Facebook to say he likes Lawrence and thinks his best position is through the middle....it’s absolute gold, you literally couldn’t make it up!

Poor Les.....?

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I dont want him out.

Said he is an average Championship player, and we are currently an average Championship team.

What are his difficult circumstances over the past 2 seasons?

As far as I'm aware, his mum died right near the end of last season.

Any difficult circumstances this season are of his own making.

Nice to hear you want to keep him

agree we’re an average team showing signs of promise...you know quality players feed off quality around them...this is an area which effects our better players

We know his personal circumstances what we don’t know is how long of that season he was effected

This season is not of his making it’s the making of a good bulk of the squad who are accountable just some more than others.This season we have lost the quality of 3 loan players,change in manager,style of play,team struggling for points,we could list enlist circumstances of which there are many

The sad thing for me is he has become a target for some fans to berate more than others which is very difficult to understand whilst the game is being played

on a massive plus it’s fantastic to see North Stand and the East stand corner applaud him when he takes corners from that end of ground.Your previous post commenting on last match corners were at south west corner when prior he came under a barrage of abuse so for more I’d let him off hitting near post

29 minutes ago, dcfc4ever said:

Quite right, it is an appreciation thread, so I'll post accordingly.

I'd appreciate it if Tom Lawrence pissed off and didn't play for us anymore.

35 minutes ago, Derbyram1 said:

The guy called up about his mate Les who was the one that abused Lawrence in the west stand, his mate Les is so distraught that he’s not sure he can ever go back to pride park!!

30 seconds later Les messaged in on Facebook to say he likes Lawrence and thinks his best position is through the middle....it’s absolute gold, you literally couldn’t make it up!

Poor Les.....?

Stay at home Les, moaning barsteward

1 hour ago, Derbyram1 said:

Poor Les.....?

I thought that was hilarious. He said Les told Lawrence to track back and the player responded with foul abuse. Really?? You can bet Les hurled a mouthful of expletives, punctuated with lazy, useless and get off the pitch. Chris Coles spotting that comment was the funniest thing ever 

52 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I thought that was hilarious. He said Les told Lawrence to track back and the player responded with foul abuse. Really?? You can bet Les hurled a mouthful of expletives, punctuated with lazy, useless and get off the pitch. Chris Coles spotting that comment was the funniest thing ever 

Whatever someone might have accused Lawrence of on Saturday, not tracking back would be bottom of the list. He did a very good job supporting Lowe and I thought Saturday was one of his most disciplined performances in that respect. 

Some people watch football with their gobs, not their eyes.

I am far from a Lawrence fan, but I have to agree with the posters on here saying he put in a disciplined performance on Saturday.

He supported Lowe well and did his fair share of tracking back. He even looked up and tried to pass the ball more often than normal. It didn't always come off, but that's a big step in the right direction from constantly running into trouble.

9 hours ago, Derbyram1 said:

Poor Les.....?

This is your average Radio Derby phone in contributor now 

12 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Didnt a player just the other week hear racist abuse where there was no evidence found of racist behaviour?

I'm probably wrong but if a player is focused I would think everything is background noise.

Obviously would hear moans and groans but to hear specifics that they respond to?

Just wondering where you draw the line on 'abuse' at football matches? What is the worst thing you have said at a match?

A good point, i dont know. I don't really tend to swear beyond a FFS under my breath but I guess if you class 'you dont know what your doing' to the ref as abuse then yeah. 

Personally I draw the line at things like 'wheres your chairman gone' and so on, and would never dream of running down (as some do) to the pitch edge and hurling abuse at players/officials.

Obviously Lawrence has heard something, either it was a one off with expletives or it was sustained. I suppose not having ever played professional football i cant argue if players would hear or not.

Archived