Tom Lawrence appreciation thread

Big Trav

So I was at Boro last week (in our end) but visiting Smoggy friends.  Big group of them all wanted to talk about Keogh and the contract cancellation before the game and then after the game they were confused as to why on earth we'd boo'ed Lawrence when he was subbed.  In both scenarios they thought they were our better players and were getting a rough deal.

Now for some balance, Lawrence wasn't great last week.  In particular during the first half where he was playing off / behind Waghorn, when we were in possession, he was fairly static and ineffective as a result.  That wasn't the case yesterday and I thought he played well. Interestingly whoscored.com back this up with Lawrence our lowest rated player against Boro and our second highest rated player (after Clarke) against Hull.

Anyway, it's Derby versus the world now so, I'll continue to clap him when he takes a corner by the North and East stands even if he doesn't have the loveable cheeky chappiness of Johnny Russell.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Big Trav said:

Like what many of us would do if our mum had died recently. Take time off work to properly sort your mental health out. When you see him play you see his body language which most fans seem to think he’s not bothered or lazy but actually he’s probably a bit lost inside and still heartbroken. If I was Phillip I would tell Tom to take a couple weeks off or as long as he needs and I’d visit him most days and I’d get him a personal physiatrist to help him. I unlike others think he’s come on leaps and bounds this season compared to last and that is because of him not being greedy or wasting the ball through trying to take every man on or shooting from ridiculous angles. He’s a team player. He presses hard he works back. He’s everything a team player would be. He doesn’t get on the ball much admittedly but when he does he’ll go for the best option for the pass. 

You really think he's come on leaps and bounds this season are you having a laugh? 

4 hours ago, Srg said:

Not really comparing ability. Just the fact they are both creative players who get called lazy and called out for not being “team” players. Never seemed to matter what Ince did, he was always criticised for that and Lawrence gets the same treatment. It’s always hard to know what the manager wants - with Ince and Russell at the time, Russell ran around with the guarantee of being subbed off where Ince played the 90 every time which could give the illusion of laziness when in fact he was conserving energy and we left him further up as the outlet on the break. 

As far as Lawrence goes these past couple of weeks - and I think someone else has alluded to it in this thread - he seems to be playing more within the structure of the team and less of the Lone Ranger stuff. First half for example, where he would usually try and drift inside and shoot he made 2 back heels out wide for Lowe on the overlap - could be more of an indictment on Mr Tickle though. 

Ok gotcha, I misunderstood.

12 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

So, I think too many fans either rush to support him, or rush to attack him and avoid the middle ground. But I'd swap him for the Ince that played for us in a heartbeats heartbeat. 

Think most fans 'rushing to support him' are doing so on the basis of him having had a rough time of it recently. I also doubt anyone on this forum disputes that 20 goal a season Ince offered more.

10 hours ago, sage said:

I'm not going to jump on the Lawrence bandwagon

What Lawrence bandwagon? The only 'bandwagon' I can see is the one where folk queue up to rubbish him, so there's a certain irony to your post. One thread with a few folk saying we should get off his back, hardly constitutes a Lawrence love-in.

4 hours ago, Curtains said:

Couple of great flicks yesterday .

Played well I thought and made the goal yesterday with a very good corner delivery as he did for first at Boro by hounding down player in corner He is a scapegoat for some. 

They can’t  wait to have a go at him  

Just an objective question ; how many corners has he taken this season or last and how many times did we score a goal like that yesterday?

10 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Think most fans 'rushing to support him' are doing so on the basis of him having had a rough time of it recently. I also doubt anyone on this forum disputes that 20 goal a season Ince offered more.

Not disputing Ince had a better record than lawrence, but when did he ever score 20 goals in a season for us?

17 hours ago, Big Trav said:

Our tom get a lot of stick. Like a lot. I would say hes our scapegoat that many fans use against him. He receives a lot of abuse rightly or wrongly. I just wanted to give my  two sense on this situation. The problem with Tom is he needs to play as a 10 behind 2 strikers. Out wide he has to cut in as his crossing isn’t the greatest. Also the lads a massive confidence player. Massively. Do you think 20,000 shouting abuse at him will help his confidence?? He always tries hard and presses well however he can be lazy tracking back. The lads been involved with a lot outside the world of football. He’s lost his bloody mother not long ago. And this has led to him drinking a load which ended up with joinersgate. He looks broken inside. I’m just begging you to please not scapegoat Tom. He isn’t a bad football he’s not the worst player you’ve ever seen just get behind the lad show him extra appreciation we need to make sure he knows we’ve got his back not get angry and shout abuse at him. 

I do think Tom needs a break from football to really sort himself out. You can tell he’s heartbroken just by the way he never plays with a smile anymore. 

Im begging each and every single person that reads this post to just think before you shout abuse at any Derby player but tom in particular. He needs picking up from the ground not being kicked while on the ground. 

I have never once shouted abuse at him or any other Derby player for that matter in over 35 years of supporting the club.

But, there’s always a but, this player deserves the flack he gets, I don’t agree it should be via boo’s on a Saturday afternoon but he deserves the negativity attached to him. 

Personally I think he needs to go for his own sake, a fresh start. He’s throwing away his career, I’d take a big loss on him just to move him on. He will never do it here. 

Whilst I agree about the 10 position the facts are he’s not showing enough to trust him there either. I can’t recall a player so universally disliked by Rams fans, he can turn it around but I just don’t think he’s capable anymore......fresh start and try again.

3 minutes ago, Shaftesbury st said:

I have never once shouted abuse at him or any other Derby player for that matter in over 35 years of supporting the club.

But, there’s always a but, this player deserves the flack he gets, I don’t agree it should be via boo’s on a Saturday afternoon but he deserves the negativity attached to him. 

Personally I think he needs to go for his own sake, a fresh start. He’s throwing away his career, I’d take a big loss on him just to move him on. He will never do it here. 

Whilst I agree about the 10 position the facts are he’s not showing enough to trust him there either. I can’t recall a player so universally disliked by Rams fans, he can turn it around but I just don’t think he’s capable anymore......fresh start and try again.

What a load of rubbish 

21 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Just had a gander and you're right - 11 from 18 starts year 1, then 15 and 12. Could have sworn he had a 20 goal year once! 

15 would be nice mind.

5 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

So I was at Boro last week (in our end) but visiting Smoggy friends.  Big group of them all wanted to talk about Keogh and the contract cancellation before the game and then after the game they were confused as to why on earth we'd boo'ed Lawrence when he was subbed.  In both scenarios they thought they were our better players and were getting a rough deal.

Now for some balance, Lawrence wasn't great last week.  In particular during the first half where he was playing off / behind Waghorn, when we were in possession, he was fairly static and ineffective as a result.  That wasn't the case yesterday and I thought he played well. Interestingly whoscored.com back this up with Lawrence our lowest rated player against Boro and our second highest rated player (after Clarke) against Hull.

Anyway, it's Derby versus the world now so, I'll continue to clap him when he takes a corner by the North and East stands even if he doesn't have the loveable cheeky chappiness of Johnny Russell.

Oh man, I do miss Johnny Russell so much???

Archived