Tom Lawrence appreciation thread

Big Trav

On 19/01/2020 at 05:25, sage said:

We had 3 wide forwards under early Mac in Ward, Russell and Dawkins (and Ibe on loan) We've spent a fortune replacing them with Ince, Lawrence, Anya, Camara and Josefzoon and have gone steadily backwards with each signing.

I think, with the exception of Camara, it's the system that has made the wingers look worse, and not the personnel. Russell wasn't as good after McClaren left, and I think the same would have applied to Ward and Dawkins.

I think Ince and Lawrence (particularly the former) would have had the ability to slot into the wide positions in 13/14 and 14/15, and I don't think Anya and Jozefzoon are that different to Ward and Russell to be honest. It's just Anya and Jozefzoon have come into a mess of a situation with very little continuity, whereas Ward and Russell were in a team that very quickly found a groove (though, of course, they helped to find that groove).

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I mean - You must have know where this thread was going to end up when you started it ?

Good for him!

Why the hell should he put up with a bunch of morons yelling abuse at him - Pretty sure you mean after the goal cos I sit right above there and he did seem to throw a comment at the fans - Probably indicating to them that he just put a rather nice corner in which resulted in a goal

I don't understand the attitude of some people TBH - Some muppets yelling abuse at him from OUR fans when he comes to take a corner - And the fact he turned round with an "in your face mate" moment afterwards that makes Lawrence the bad egg? Nah... Not buying that one

Lawrence has a bad game, complain to your mates, complain to us here, complain to radio Derby on the phone in - If Lawrence does something petulant/poor on the pitch then feel free to scream in frustration (I often do) - But just yelling general insults at him from the crowd when he's coming across to take a corner? Totally uncalled for and fair play to him reacting - People have a go at him for 'not caring' or 'not trying' - And then every week he has idiots yelling at him for OUR part of the stand just because he has the poor form to be picked by our manager? 

Knight's goal against Boro shows the kind of player Lawrence is and what our fanbase seem to ignore half the time (or half our fanbase ignore all the time) - The tenacity and fight he showed to get the ball back he exhibits most of the time and people ignore it

On Saturday we he slotted into a role on the LHS of a midfield 4, ran hard, helped back with Bogle against one of the most potent RB/RW combos in the league and took a very good corner which produced a goal - Our entire team was fairly bang average on Saturday and pulling him out as somehow the problem is just odd

Rant over...

It was Lowe he was supporting but  I will forgive you the slip up because it was such a good rant! 

I agree.

19 minutes ago, angieram said:

It was Lowe he was supporting but  I will forgive you the slip up because it was such a good rant! 

I agree.

Haha sorry yeh of course - I was so ranty about the situation in the corner which was RHS that my brain just picked out Bogle

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I think, with the exception of Camara, it's the system that has made the wingers look worse, and not the personnel. Russell wasn't as good after McClaren left, and I think the same would have applied to Ward and Dawkins.

I think Ince and Lawrence (particularly the former) would have had the ability to slot into the wide positions in 13/14 and 14/15, and I don't think Anya and Jozefzoon are that different to Ward and Russell to be honest. It's just Anya and Jozefzoon have come into a mess of a situation with very little continuity, whereas Ward and Russell were in a team that very quickly found a groove (though, of course, they helped to find that groove).

I thought buying Ince ruined the system. 

Oh and I forgot Weimann. Why why why did I forget him.

15 hours ago, DRBee said:

Their goalkeepers floundering means we didn 't need a Van Dijk to score. Your response shows you know the answer to my question.

The point is how effective are Lawrence's corners? Your the one claiming he delivered a very good corner. The real problem for fans re Lawrence is we have all seem him do excellent things , but his lack of consistency means it doesn't happen that often. Some people think its down to him, but he isn't being played in his optimum position. (Though whether that affects his corners is another matter.)

Sorry need to take you to task....Lawrences corners have been consistently excellent and it’s just a shame our players haven’t been connecting and scoring from these corners.You need to re-look over Past games and you will see his corners are very good indeed,generally back post and away from keeper at pace.He is a quality corner taker and by far best in squad with the delivery of the ball

7 hours ago, nottingram said:

If he felt someone was out of line I have no issue with him letting them know.

It is a fact, at least where I sit, he is treated differently to other players. He misplaced a pretty adventurous pass at one point on Saturday, there was way more audible groans than if it were someone else, and someone near me (East Stand) shouted “Christ, you can’t wait to get rid of it can you Lawrence.” It’s perverse and counter productive. If Lawrence had shouted back that that bloke was a Bamford I’d have probably given him a round of applause

If he was concentrating on his game he shouldn't hear people in the crowd.

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I don't think Anya and Jozefzoon are that different to Ward and Russell to be honest.

Ooooooohhhh that's controversial - I think both were tenacious, could beat a man and provide a tasty little pass - The Zoon has shown the ability (on occasion) to beat a man but very little else - Anya not even that (unless you count kick and run)

41 minutes ago, dcfc4ever said:

Sorry need to take you to task....Lawrences corners have been consistently excellent and it’s just a shame our players haven’t been connecting and scoring from these corners.You need to re-look over Past games and you will see his corners are very good indeed,generally back post and away from keeper at pace.He is a quality corner taker and by far best in squad with the delivery of the ball

Agreed

Always worth pointing out that we have a relatively short squad - On Saturday I reckon Wisdom would be our 3rd tallest player at 6ft 1? And one of our tall players (Huddlestone) can't jump...

Compare that to the giants they had at CB and you can see why we don't win all that many headers at corners...

33 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Ooooooohhhh that's controversial - I think both were tenacious, could beat a man and provide a tasty little pass - The Zoon has shown the ability (on occasion) to beat a man but very little else - Anya not even that (unless you count kick and run)

To be fair, it probably wasn't the best choice of words.

What I meant is that they have fairly similar styles of play (quick, relatively skillful, sometimes questionable end product), and that would lend itself to McClaren's system, which elevated Ward and Russell's games to a new level.

FWIW, I genuinely don't think Anya has been that bad for us. Jozefzoon hasn't been great, but I don't think it's a representation of his true ability either. Confidence is such a huge factor in a winger's game.

I accidentally listened to radio Derby phone in...call 1 was apparently the best mate of the  guy who Tom had a go back at after getting abuse. Sits next to him he said... it seems the bloke is so upset that Tom responded that he’s questioning whether he can go anymore..says the poor chap is distraught...what a halfwit. He will be bragging about it and living off that for years.      

2 minutes ago, minesahartington said:

I accidentally listened to radio Derby phone in...call 1 was apparently the best mate of the  guy who Tom had a go back at after getting abuse. Sits next to him he said... it seems the bloke is so upset that Tom responded that he’s questioning whether he can go anymore..says the poor chap is distraught...what a halfwit. He will be bragging about it and living off that for years.      

Probably the sort who bullied the little kid at school then went crying to mummy when the little kid lamped him one. 

2 hours ago, dcfc4ever said:

I watched his corners on Saturday.

We obviously work on our routines.

First corner, left arm up, hits their player at the near post about knee high.

Second corner, left arm up, hit out to to Rooney, edge of the area.

Third corner, left arm up, hit out beyond the back post.

Dont think his corners are much different to anyone else in this division but to call his corners excellent when we have scored 1 maybe 2 from them all season  is pushing it a little.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

If he was concentrating on his game he shouldn't hear people in the crowd.

So next time someone is subjected to racist abuse from the crowd we should just say well you shouldn't be listening anyway?

I would personally think as lawrence takes corners and gets very close to the crowd that anyone giving him verbals would be very audible. 

5 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Good for him!

Why the hell should he put up with a bunch of morons yelling abuse at him - Pretty sure you mean after the goal cos I sit right above there and he did seem to throw a comment at the fans - Probably indicating to them that he just put a rather nice corner in which resulted in a goal

I don't understand the attitude of some people TBH - Some muppets yelling abuse at him from OUR fans when he comes to take a corner - And the fact he turned round with an "in your face mate" moment afterwards that makes Lawrence the bad egg? Nah... Not buying that one

Lawrence has a bad game, complain to your mates, complain to us here, complain to radio Derby on the phone in - If Lawrence does something petulant/poor on the pitch then feel free to scream in frustration (I often do) - But just yelling general insults at him from the crowd when he's coming across to take a corner? Totally uncalled for and fair play to him reacting - People have a go at him for 'not caring' or 'not trying' - And then every week he has idiots yelling at him for OUR part of the stand just because he has the poor form to be picked by our manager? 

Knight's goal against Boro shows the kind of player Lawrence is and what our fanbase seem to ignore half the time (or half our fanbase ignore all the time) - The tenacity and fight he showed to get the ball back he exhibits most of the time and people ignore it

On Saturday we he slotted into a role on the LHS of a midfield 4, ran hard, helped back with Bogle against one of the most potent RB/RW combos in the league and took a very good corner which produced a goal - Our entire team was fairly bang average on Saturday and pulling him out as somehow the problem is just odd

Rant over...

Sorry,  thought I responded earlier but looks like my post didnt submit.

Normally I would agree with you but think the circumstances are slightly different here.

Lawrence should be counting his luck stars that he still has a job here because I think many would have been happy for his contract to be terminated.

If he wants to get fans back on side I would suggest that knuckling down and putting your body on the line would be a good start. Instead we see a bit of effort from time to time and lazy kicks out at opponents being rewarded with yellow card after yellow card. (The guy has managed to accumulate 11 of them without putting a proper challenge in).

On the other hand he seems to think that 1 good performance in 10 is enough to shut the moaners up, as displayed with his cupping of the ears and celebration on Saturday.

I personally think he is an average Championship player but cant say he has done anything to make me like him as anything other than a Derby County player.

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

So next time someone is subjected to racist abuse from the crowd we should just say well you shouldn't be listening anyway?

I would personally think as lawrence takes corners and gets very close to the crowd that anyone giving him verbals would be very audible. 

Bit of a jump from having his performance criticised, to him being racially abused.

We could have all abuse and swearing and shouting stopped at football matches I suppose.

Not sure how much fun it would be though.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Bit of a jump from having his performance criticised, to him being racially abused.

We could have all abuse and swearing and shouting stopped at football matches I suppose.

Not sure how much fun it would be though.

Of course,  but i am assuming racist abuse isn't louder??

You can either hear it or not. If someone has given him abuse then good on him for giving it back. 

Personally don't think abuse is acceptable in any form.

Archived