Tom Lawrence appreciation thread

Big Trav

5 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Think most fans 'rushing to support him' are doing so on the basis of him having had a rough time of it recently. I also doubt anyone on this forum disputes that 20 goal a season Ince offered more.

What Lawrence bandwagon? The only 'bandwagon' I can see is the one where folk queue up to rubbish him, so there's a certain irony to your post. One thread with a few folk saying we should get off his back, hardly constitutes a Lawrence love-in.

You missed my point.

I'm not going to jump on the anti-Lawrence bandwagon. 

Because I've been sat in it since the start of the journey.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is not as bad as some might say and worse than others might say.

I was expecting about 10-15 goals a season (based on his Ipswich form) and he has not delivered that so on balance a dissappointment.

However he is nearly allways fit and available which is more than many others.

In summary (contribution wise midfielders).

Better signing than Butterfield, Anya and Josephmoon.

Similar to Johnson, Huddlesstone

Worse than Ince, Vydra, Holmes

14 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

I was expecting about 10-15 goals a season (based on his Ipswich form) and he has not delivered that so on balance a dissappointment.

Fair enough but Huddlestone for £2 million gives us much more 

1 hour ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

If we are going off contribution alone Holmes has 3 goals and 2 assists in 50 games. 

7 hours ago, Curtains said:

We ain’t a Liverpool with Van Dijk mate 

Their goalkeepers floundering means we didn 't need a Van Dijk to score. Your response shows you know the answer to my question.

The point is how effective are Lawrence's corners? Your the one claiming he delivered a very good corner. The real problem for fans re Lawrence is we have all seem him do excellent things , but his lack of consistency means it doesn't happen that often. Some people think its down to him, but he isn't being played in his optimum position. (Though whether that affects his corners is another matter.)

8 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

On Saturday when Lawrence was on the floor in a tangle of legs, a guy near me urged the Hull player to ‘stamp on him so he can’t play’.

6 hours ago, Pastinaak said:

How many of Duncan's 50 games have been as sub/holding midfielder/right back?

According to whoscored.com he has had 4 games as DM this season, unfortunately can't see for last season, but was it 3 times at RB? 

His assist this season came from DM. 

Interesting to see how many people are praising Lawrence's corner for the goal.

I bet my bottom dollar that if that was Hulls corner and they scored from it that it would be being described as a poor corner and Hamer being torn to pieces.

I finally lost my patience with Lawrence at Wigan away and unless he starts performing well on a regular basis he isnt going to change my opinion now.

The fact that he once again got into an exchange of words with Derby fans shows that he is not learning. 

He is an enigma isn’t he. His body language (which has got better) doesn’t help and the fact that he can really turn it on at times make him frustrating. 

I think a few weeks out of the starting 11 would help him to ge the hunger back he showed at Huddersfield. 

There’s a decent player in there - just a matter of getting him to realises that perhaps. 

10 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Better signing than Anya and Josephmoon.

Similar to Butterfield,

Worse than Ince, Vydra, Holmes, Johnson, Huddlesstone

Above is my opinion on what you said

For me he is more similar to Butterfield - undeniable ability not performing

However for me Butterfield did not keep sulking and moaning and was not pampered by the club like TL. I think the club has given TL every chance to succeed, different positions, poor disciplinary record basically overlooked, joiners gate incident imho relatively leniently dealt with.

And I know he has had a tough time recently, but we all have to get through stuff and most of us have far worse jobs with less understanding employers.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Before the goal and after the goal. My mates sits where it happened and confirmed that Lawrence said something to a fan who had been criticising him.

If he felt someone was out of line I have no issue with him letting them know.

It is a fact, at least where I sit, he is treated differently to other players. He misplaced a pretty adventurous pass at one point on Saturday, there was way more audible groans than if it were someone else, and someone near me (East Stand) shouted “Christ, you can’t wait to get rid of it can you Lawrence.” It’s perverse and counter productive. If Lawrence had shouted back that that bloke was a Bamford I’d have probably given him a round of applause

5 minutes ago, nottingram said:

If he felt someone was out of line I have no issue with him letting them know.

It is a fact, at least where I sit, he is treated differently to other players. He misplaced a pretty adventurous pass at one point on Saturday, there was way more audible groans than if it were someone else, and someone near me (East Stand) shouted “Christ, you can’t wait to get rid of it can you Lawrence.” It’s perverse and counter productive. If Lawrence had shouted back that that bloke was a Bamford I’d have probably given him a round of applause

So many I told you so fans giving him a hard time rather than encouraging him to play well. 

On 18/01/2020 at 23:16, Big Trav said:

Im begging each and every single person that reads this post to just think before you shout abuse at any Derby player but tom in particular. He needs picking up from the ground not being kicked while on the ground. 

I mean - You must have know where this thread was going to end up when you started it ?

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

The fact that he once again got into an exchange of words with Derby fans shows that he is not learning. 

Good for him!

Why the hell should he put up with a bunch of morons yelling abuse at him - Pretty sure you mean after the goal cos I sit right above there and he did seem to throw a comment at the fans - Probably indicating to them that he just put a rather nice corner in which resulted in a goal

I don't understand the attitude of some people TBH - Some muppets yelling abuse at him from OUR fans when he comes to take a corner - And the fact he turned round with an "in your face mate" moment afterwards that makes Lawrence the bad egg? Nah... Not buying that one

Lawrence has a bad game, complain to your mates, complain to us here, complain to radio Derby on the phone in - If Lawrence does something petulant/poor on the pitch then feel free to scream in frustration (I often do) - But just yelling general insults at him from the crowd when he's coming across to take a corner? Totally uncalled for and fair play to him reacting - People have a go at him for 'not caring' or 'not trying' - And then every week he has idiots yelling at him for OUR part of the stand just because he has the poor form to be picked by our manager? 

Knight's goal against Boro shows the kind of player Lawrence is and what our fanbase seem to ignore half the time (or half our fanbase ignore all the time) - The tenacity and fight he showed to get the ball back he exhibits most of the time and people ignore it

On Saturday we he slotted into a role on the LHS of a midfield 4, ran hard, helped back with Bogle against one of the most potent RB/RW combos in the league and took a very good corner which produced a goal - Our entire team was fairly bang average on Saturday and pulling him out as somehow the problem is just odd

Rant over...

Archived