v Middlesbrough (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

Saturday 11th January 2020 - Riverside Stadium - KO 1500

16th v 17th it may be but it's two sides looking to continue their recent good form. Since losing at Pride Park, Boro have won six out of twelve Championship games, including their last four. They are also unbeaten in their last six at home, seven if you include their fine draw against Spurs in the FA Cup.

As for the Rams, it has been a long time coming but Olivia Optimism has finally shown up and she looks and feels good. Unbeaten in four and with three wins on the bounce, Derby head to the north-east seeking their first league double of the season.

Team News: Trying to second guess Philip Cocu is nigh on impossible. None of the nine changes for the trip to Selhurst Park let themselves or the team down but I think we can expect a return to something more like the lineups which featured against Charlton and Barnsley. Or possibly not. We seem to have a few more options now so it's a pleasant problem for the manager to deal with. Bielik misses out as he completes his three-match ban. My preferred line up would probably be:

GK - Hamar  

RB - Wisdom

LB - Lowe

CB - Davies

CB - Clarke

DM - Bird

CM - Rooney

CM - Holmes

ALM - Knight

ARM - Waghorn

CF - Marriott

Subs: Roos / Bogle / Forsyth / Huddlestone / Sibley / Jozefzoon / Martin 

Go!

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough call....

hamer and wisdom probably deserve to keep their places

Hamer

Wisdom .   Davies.   Clarke.    Lowe

.            Bird.       Rooney

holmes.       Knight.     Sibley 

Marriott

19 minutes ago, Saffy van der Ram said:

Can’t see Huddz not starting.

Yeah I agree. Middlesbrough the perfect team for Huddlestone and Rooney again although I wish we could fit Holmes, Bird, Sibley and Knight in the team with them as well! 

If we can beat Boro, the next 3 after that look favourable. No easy games in this league of course, but Hull, Luton and Stoke all look beatable. If we get a very optimistic 10/12 points from those games we can start to look at playoffs. Suspect this next month might define us, though. 

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

If we can beat Boro, the next 3 after that look favourable. No easy games in this league of course, but Hull, Luton and Stoke all look beatable. If we get a very optimistic 10/12 points from those games we can start to look at playoffs. Suspect this next month might define us, though. 

Luton will be rearranged due to round 4

23 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I'm thinking autos buddy. Wazza's invincibles* ?

* apart from the 9 games we already lost 

Boro are in good form themselves: beat Stoke 2-1, Huddersfield 1-0, West Brom 2-0, Preston 2-0 and just drew with Spurs 1-1. 

They will be optimistic of beating us at their place. Equally, we should be optimistic ourselves. 

I expect a good game, gritty, but good. 

Tough team selection this, it really is. Think we have to go back to a similar side to the one that’s done well in the league in recent games, but obviously players like Bogle and Martin can count themselves highly unlucky to miss out here:

Roos

Wisdom Davies Clarke Lowe

Holmes Rooney Bird Knight

Waghorn Marriott

Just the one change in goal, Hamers error was awful and we need better. Roos isn’t a lot more reliable in fairness, but his distribution is a lot better at least, which I think we could see today. He’s the better option of the two.

Now, on paper, before this latest run of form, Boro have been ducking awful. They were dreadful when they played us before. However, typically they’ve now found some form, and were always crap up there anyway. So it’s a game where I’d take a point to be honest. 

Hamer 

Wisdom Davies Clarke Lowe

Huddlestone

Rooney knight

waghorn

Martin Marriott

subs - roos Belick Bird sibley Lawrence Holmes Malone 

i expect Martin will be on the bench though for Lawrence  

Middlesbrough are going to set out to be a big physical side, can't see Hudds not playing for that reason. Wisdom at RB to bring a physical edge and Waghorn up front to put himself about. 

Hamer to start, we need a strong keeper when they're going to be playing alot of balls into the box. 

Archived