v Middlesbrough (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I hate Boro away, it's one of those fixtures you just have to get out of the way. A long journey to a cold dump to play a team that over the last few years has played the type of football that makes people want to stop watching football.

I hope we smash them.

Hasn't woodgate stopped playing the lumps and cloggers and turned to the kids?

Hamer 

Wisdom Davies Clarke Lowe 

Huddlestone Bird 

holmes.      Rooney.       Knight 

Marriott 

I do think playing two holding midfielders away from home can be effective however I don’t think we’d sacrificing creativity with the mix of that’s there. It will be interesting to see who he’ll play because if you asked me before the FA cup game id have said stick with the same team but they all put in a great performance. Huddlestone seems to be a Cocu favourite so I can see him coming in. 

5 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

No sign of @RedSmog yet? Certainly had a lot to say for himself in one of our recent match day threads until he crawled back under his stone. 

Perhaps he got the wrong stone and found it a bit too hefty , you can probs see his legs poking out from the sides and hear a kind of gurgling sound coming from beneath the granite slab .

Last season the footy for that first half hour was the best we've played for years. Should have been 5 or 6 up by then, but we only got 1 and then Bogle smashed it into his own net got the equalizer late on. Boro is often miserable like that. Where Mason Bennett hit the bar on his 15 year old debut and you thought if it had gone in he'd have become our Rooney. A place of might-have-beens. 

But now we have the real Rooney. And suddenly a group of players starting to do better. Can you really drop Martin after his goal? Or Bogle after his assist? Or Roos after his clean sheet? Or Huddlestone after coming back and linking up with Rooney do impressively? In fact Martin will probably be benched to bring in Marriott's pace so I'd say:

Roos

Bogle 

Lowe

Davies

Clark 

Huddlestone

Bird 

Rooney

Knight 

Waghorn

Marriott

Subs: Hamer Wisdom Malone Sibley Holmes Martin Lawrence 

Hamer 

Wisdom davies Clarke Lowe

Huddlestone

Rooney.       knight 

waghorn    Marriott.    Holmes 

i have no problem is roos starts but I don’t think he will whilst wisdom makes us better defensively leaving lowe to attack on the left and Huddlestone was far too good at palace and his height will be important against Middlesbrough whilst Holmes deserves to start and Lawrence can earn a recall in the league whilst is Marriott fit to start? 

Boro fan in peace.. 

Really looking forward to this one, both teams in good form, looking up the table now rather than down, positive results against Premier league opposition in the FA Cup.. Nailed on for a drab 0-0. 

Been watching you lot with a bit of interest since Rooney started playing. Love seeing him in that deeper role spraying passes around for fun. 

Interesting seeing so many different starting line ups on here, wish we had such a luxury as we are pretty injury ravaged at the moment. Expecting two midfielders at CB again but it's working pretty well. I think we will line up like this..

Pears

Howson    Fry   McNair

Spence                                 Coulson

Clayton       Saville

Roberts                               Tavernier

Fletcher

As we are at home I am obviously hoping yo get the 3 points but think it's going to be s bit of a battle. 

All the best. 

15 minutes ago, BearSmog said:

Boro fan in peace.. 

Really looking forward to this one, both teams in good form, looking up the table now rather than down, positive results against Premier league opposition in the FA Cup.. Nailed on for a drab 0-0. 

Been watching you lot with a bit of interest since Rooney started playing. Love seeing him in that deeper role spraying passes around for fun. 

Interesting seeing so many different starting line ups on here, wish we had such a luxury as we are pretty injury ravaged at the moment. Expecting two midfielders at CB again but it's working pretty well. I think we will line up like this..

Pears

Howson    Fry   McNair

Clayton       Saville

Fletcher

As we are at home I am obviously hoping yo get the 3 points but think it's going to be s bit of a battle. 

All the best. 

Think the number of starting line ups is mainly because we have had an emergence of academy players, alongside the Rooney arrival, which has kind of made everything a bit unstable - in a good way though.

I think most here would take a drab 0-0 given your upturn in form and our dire away record.

29 minutes ago, BearSmog said:

Boro fan in peace.. 

Pears

Howson    Fry   McNair

Clayton       Saville

Fletcher

All the best. 

Thank you very much. (So do we).

9 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Thank you very much. (So do we).

??‍♂️ Fat thumbs 

to*

24 minutes ago, Srg said:

Think the number of starting line ups is mainly because we have had an emergence of academy players, alongside the Rooney arrival, which has kind of made everything a bit unstable - in a good way though.

I think most here would take a drab 0-0 given your upturn in form and our dire away record.

It's good to see both sides using their academy so effectively, maybe wouldn't have happened if we were a bit further up the table. 

Just now, BearSmog said:

??‍♂️ Fat thumbs 

to*

It's good to see both sides using their academy so effectively, maybe wouldn't have happened if we were a bit further up the table. 

I don't think it's changed much for us. Looking at the matches in August...

Game 1 - Bogle started, Knight and Bennett came off the bench.
Game 2 - Bogle started, Lowe came off the bench.
Game 3 (cup) - Buchanan, Lowe, Bird, Knight, Bennett started, Sibley and Whittaker came off the bench.
Game 4 - Lowe started, Knight came off the bench.
Game 5 - Lowe started, Knight came off the bench.
Game 6 - Lowe, Buchanan and Knight started, Bennett came off the bench.
Game 7 (cup) - Buchanan, Sibley, Bennett and Whittaker started, Bird and Mitchell-Lawson came off the bench.
Game 8 - Lowe, Buchanan and Knight started, Bennett came off the bench.

We would have seen more of Bogle and Bennett this season if it weren't for the injuries they picked up.

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I don't think it's changed much for us. Looking at the matches in August...

Game 1 - Bogle started, Knight and Bennett came off the bench.
Game 2 - Bogle started, Lowe came off the bench.
Game 3 (cup) - Buchanan, Lowe, Bird, Knight, Bennett started, Sibley and Whittaker came off the bench.
Game 4 - Lowe started, Knight came off the bench.
Game 5 - Lowe started, Knight came off the bench.
Game 6 - Lowe, Buchanan and Knight started, Bennett came off the bench.
Game 7 (cup) - Buchanan, Sibley, Bennett and Whittaker started, Bird and Mitchell-Lawson came off the bench.
Game 8 - Lowe, Buchanan and Knight started, Bennett came off the bench.

We would have seen more of Bogle and Bennett this season if it weren't for the injuries they picked up.

I know Bennett came through the academy; but I don't think his utilisation this season should be considered "using the academy", nor should Bogle or Lowe.

All 3 were considered first team members before the season started (yes, even if we'd not seen a lot of Lowe).

Buchanan, Knight, Bird, Whittaker and Sibley were all considered members of the academy system before the season started; and from that perspective you can see that our utilisation of the academy has increased as the season has progressed. 

29 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I know Bennett came through the academy; but I don't think his utilisation this season should be considered "using the academy", nor should Bogle or Lowe.

All 3 were considered first team members before the season started (yes, even if we'd not seen a lot of Lowe).

Buchanan, Knight, Bird, Whittaker and Sibley were all considered members of the academy system before the season started; and from that perspective you can see that our utilisation of the academy has increased as the season has progressed. 

I'd still count Lowe, Bogle and Bennett as "using the academy" as we have those players as a direct result of using the academy. 

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'd still count Lowe, Bogle and Bennett as "using the academy" as we have those players as a direct result of using the academy. 

Its semantics, but my point was you responded to a post that was about the clubs giving more young players chances this season than is usual by talking about players who'd made the step up a season(s) prior.

I suppose it's just the present tense of "using" the academy that makes me want to attach that to the players that are new to the first team in the current season.

Not because I want to remove credit from the academy for players who made the step-up in the past.

For example, if Knight, Bird, Lowe, Sibley, Bogle are all starting for us in 8 years - but no other youth player has ever been given a chance, are we still "using the academy" just because they are a result of it? I'd say not.

Archived