v Crystal Palace (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

As usual with any cup game, anything can happen here really. We certainly shouldn’t think we’ve got no chance. I’d play the players not currently starting in the main, and hope they put a fight and performance in to give us a selection dilemma. Don’t worry too much about the opposition, just go out there and play our game, and hopefully we can progress. A cup run would be excellent for us in terms of keeping players fit, building momentum etc, so I really hope we can push on for a few rounds at least. Team for me would thus be:

Roos

Bogle Davies Buchanan Malone

Holmes Sibley Dowell Knight

Martin Whittaker

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't change too much, although I'd quite like to see Sibley given a start. Despite his outstanding performances in recent weeks, I'd consider resting Lowe, as I fear that too much strain may lead to the muscle injuries that he's suffered from throughout his career. If the same applies for Marriott, then perhaps bring Whittaker in. So:

Hamer

Bogle  Davies  Clarke  Malone

Bird

Holmes     Sibley

Rooney

Waghorn    Marriott

If we play the diamond and Zaha starts, whoever out of Holmes and Sibley is on his side needs to work incredibly hard to support the full back. If Shinnie is fit, it might be a job for him.

54 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Roos 

Bogle  Wisdom  Forsyth  Malone

Dixon*   Huddz   Sibley

Whittaker  Martin  Lawrence

(* or J.Brown)

Slight change of subject, but what's happened to Dixon? He looked really good for the U23's. Very similar to Knight & Sibley from what I saw of him? Not played for a while so I presume it's an injury?

49 minutes ago, Van De Squid said:

Slight change of subject, but what's happened to Dixon? He looked really good for the U23's. Very similar to Knight & Sibley from what I saw of him? Not played for a while so I presume it's an injury?

I'm not sure, perhaps he's been injured or with the 18s lately? We certainly have a glut of promising young midfielders when you add Dixon, Thompson & Charles to Bird, Knight & Sibley.

Alex Babos also shows bits of quality but is likely to become the next victim of the number of quality young midfielders at the club.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

As usual with any cup game, anything can happen here really. We certainly shouldn’t think we’ve got no chance. I’d play the players not currently starting in the main, and hope they put a fight and performance in to give us a selection dilemma. Don’t worry too much about the opposition, just go out there and play our game, and hopefully we can progress. A cup run would be excellent for us in terms of keeping players fit, building momentum etc, so I really hope we can push on for a few rounds at least. Team for me would thus be:

Roos

Bogle Davies Buchanan Malone

Holmes Sibley Dowell Knight

Martin Whittaker

Dowell is going back by the looks of it, so on second thoughts, duck it let’s send Rooney out again

Roos

Bogle   Davies   Clarke    Malone

Bielik       Hudds

JML          Sibley        Lawrence

Marriott(60)/Trialist(30)

Bit of a guesstimate, could be any number of players who need minutes.

2 hours ago, Anon said:

I'll be annoyed if we deliberately chuck this one by playing a reserve team. We're miles off the play offs, what is the point in concentrating on the league? Good cup runs really lifted the team last season.

We played a reserve team in the league cup against our arch rivals, so i wouldnt hold out too much hope for this one. Although half the reserve team are now the first team anyway.

I wouldnt say we are miles off the playoffs though. If Swansea hadnt won last night we'd only be 7 points outside them. As it stands we are still only 8 points outside.

Personally i think you should play your strongest team inevery game and try to win every game, but that doesnt seem ro be cocus style.

If we hadn't played Monday and Thursday then I'd be disappointed if Cocu didn't put out a strong starting eleven but to have to play again 3 days later then 3 or 4 changes would be completely understandable.

At times against Barnsley, Holmes and Knight in particular looked heavy- legged compared to their performances against Charlton so could do with a bit of a break before we take on Moaningboro'. 

5 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

8 points with 20 games to play, yeah we are really far off the play offs. 

8 points is only half the story though. We're 17th, meaning we have to overhaul 11 other teams. The more teams, the less likely it is that all of them will drop points on a consistent basis.

It wasn't meant to be a defeatist point anyway. Yes, we can still make the play offs. I was arguing that, given our position, it doesn't make sense to play a weakened team in an FA cup game.

Just now, Anon said:

8 points is only half the story though. We're 17th, meaning we have to overhaul 11 other teams. The more teams, the less likely it is that all of them will drop points on a consistent basis.

It wasn't meant to be a defeatist point anyway. Yes, we can still make the play offs. I was arguing that, given our position, it doesn't make sense to play a weakened team in an FA cup game.

Play offs isn't necessary this season, would much rather us attempt a cup run.

4 minutes ago, Anon said:

Most of the players on the pitch last night still need minutes under their belt and we have 6 days until the next game. A couple of tweaks might not be a bad thing but in general, I think Cocu will see this as a good game to blood maybe Sibley and rest the likes of Knight and maybe Bird. 

I just wish this was at home so the players didn't have the trek to London after playing two close games together. 

Don't really care about the cup, as I haven't given up on a play-off challenge if we can get 2 or 3 in...8 points? Not insurmountable.

Sibley to start. A rest for Waghorn. A start for Martin and a sub run out for Huddlestone (if fit) and Marriott. I'd keep the back 4 as it is.

7 minutes ago, JfR said:

Is this one on the telly? Not on RamsTV but can't see where it is on.

Nope. Not one of the chosen FA Cup games and Rams TV don't have the rights for non-EFL games.

If you live in America though or fancy a flight, ESPN is streaming all the FA Cup games this weekend.

*TRAVEL HELP*

Anyone wondering about getting across London.

If you hop on the Victoria Line to Victoria Station, you change there for a southern Rail service...

"...and for 38 minutes you'll be on that train to Palace. PALACE? WHO THE duck ARE PALACE?"

Archived