The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

9 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

That more women are having to work, to supplement the family income because of the effect austerity is having on their budget. That these jobs don't provide sick pay, so forcing the women to work when they are ill.

So is it a coincidence that women from the lower end of our society are dying younger, probably not. Funny how it appears to have no impact on the women at the other end of the socioeconomic scale.

The increasing percentage of women in work is a long term trend spanning decades. Keep blaming it on austerity' though.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

That more women are having to work, to supplement the family income because of the effect austerity is having on their budget. That these jobs don't provide sick pay, so forcing the women to work when they are ill.

So is it a coincidence that women from the lower end of our society are dying younger, probably not. Funny how it appears to have no impact on the women at the other end of the socioeconomic scale.

And zero hour contracts are a saviour to them.. #flexibility

7 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Plus all this maternity, leave which wasn't around a few years ago and being able to work from home more  .It's just not good for you.

Not if your on a zero hours contract. Though it does give women the flexibility to give birth when they want. 

19 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The increasing percentage of women in work is a long term trend spanning decades. Keep blaming it on austerity' though.

You certainly can't say that austerity the is the sole driver. You have the increase in house prices too. The destruction of our manufacturing industries etc etc. It's all linked

50 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

You certainly can't say that austerity the is the sole driver. You have the increase in house prices too. The destruction of our manufacturing industries etc etc. It's all linked

It seems like you still believe the man of the house should go to work, and the wife stays at home to look after the children.

I don't follow the line of "the destruction of our manufacturing industries" means more women in work.

Chicken & egg isn't it?

More women in work = higher household income = more demand for houses = higher prices

Higher house prices = need for greater household income = More women in work.

If all these women would just have stayed cooking and keeping their men-folk happy in the last 40 years, then it wouldn't have been a problem.

5 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Chicken & egg isn't it?

More women in work = higher household income = more demand for houses = higher prices

If all these women would just have stayed cooking and keeping their men-folk happy in the last 40 years, then it wouldn't have been a problem.

It's certainly a vicious cycle - not so much chicken and egg. The root is in the Thatcher years where unemployment rose to around 15million, because of the aforesaid destruction of our manufacturing industries. A lot of women had to get into work to support the family. As you say - eventually that meant more income as the men eventually found their way back to work. House prices rise - women get trapped into working to be able to afford the houses

39 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It seems like you still believe the man of the house should go to work, and the wife stays at home to look after the children

I didn't say that. I speak purely from a historical perspective. Up until the 1980s, what you describe was the norm. A family could afford a decent house on one person's wage. Now getting on the housing ladder is difficult even for a 2 income family

Feel free to explain it some other way

5 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

It's certainly a vicious cycle - not so much chicken and egg. The root is in the Thatcher years where unemployment rose to around 15million, because of the aforesaid destruction of our manufacturing industries. A lot of women had to get into work to support the family. As you say - eventually that meant more income as the men eventually found their way back to work. House prices rise - women get trapped into working to be able to afford the houses

I didn't say that. I speak purely from a historical perspective. Up until the 1980s, what you describe was the norm. A family could afford a decent house on one person's wage. Now getting on the housing ladder is difficult even for a 2 income family

Feel free to explain it some other way

Can you explain why it is wrong for women to be in work?

28 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Chicken & egg isn't it?

This, allied to the fact that younger generations want it all straight away .When I bought my first house I borrowed curtains of my Mum ,second hand washer etc .

Not saying I blame the young ones for wanting a better standard but it comes at a price over and above the initial cost .

22 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

UK Manufacturing was in terminal decline long before Thatcher. The 80's was industrial euthanasia in many cases - with our heavy industries unable to compete with emerging low cost economies - not helped by being crippled by strikes in the 70's and 80's.

We went to Magna (Science & Steel making exhibition) in Sheffield a few months ago and I was surprised to read there that it's widely agreed that the British Steel strikes in the early 80's were the critical blow that decimated the UK industry.

8 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

For those on here who doubted that Sajid David's resignation had anything to do with Cunning Dom watch his resignation speak after PMQ today. Nice little joke/dig "I am not here to discuss (pause) all the cummings and goings of government" which says it all. The master puppeteer is in charge...

Thanks for sharing that conclusive evidence as to who is running the country.

24 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

UK Manufacturing was in terminal decline long before Thatcher. The 80's was industrial euthanasia in many cases - with our heavy industries unable to compete with emerging low cost economies - not helped by being crippled by strikes in the 70's and 80's.

We went to Magna (Science & Steel making exhibition) in Sheffield a few months ago and I was surprised to read there that it's widely agreed that the British Steel strikes in the early 80's were the critical blow that decimated the UK industry.

You can dial back quite a long way and see a lot of other contributing factors. Examples just around WW2 - 

The Allies bombed the railways of western/central Europe to ash, so they got all brand new post-war, ours were shagged out and have had to be slowly replaced with no USA super handouts.

The NE ship building industry was knackered pre 1939, revived as we frantically built ships, died again afterwards. The USA used welding while our riveting techniques were left way behind.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Can you explain why you consistently have such bad takes on other people's posts?

I wish that families could have a comfortable existence on one full-time income. With choice and flexibility over how that full-time income is achieved between both parents.

40 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Can you explain why you consistently have such bad takes on other people's posts?

I wish that families could have a comfortable existence on one full-time income. With choice and flexibility over how that full-time income is achieved between both parents.

Bloody hippy ?

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'll try. 

As a society, we increase our productivity as we improve our methods of manufacturing. Less labour is required to produce the same output. 

Why does capitalism insist on our consuming more and more over time? 

Why are workers doing more hours as productivity improves? Why isn't automation not freeing us? 

Women working isn't the issue. Why are we all having to commit more and more of our lives to keeping the machine running? Why are women having to take hours, we should all be working part time by now. 

Archived