The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Can you explain why you consistently have such bad takes on other people's posts?

Possibly because they're views I don't agree with.

44 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I wish that families could have a comfortable existence on one full-time income. With choice and flexibility over how that full-time income is achieved between both parents.

That's  a more than fair view. However, this conversation started by questioning why there's an increasing percentage or women in work and why for a single year blip there was a reduction in the life expectancy for women... then blaming it on Tory austerity measures. In this modern age of equality, it must be a logical assumption to make that the percentage of women and men in work will be fairly equal. So we should expect an increase of women in work, and/or a decrease in men at work to meet that point of 'equilibrium'. So is the increasing percentage of women in work a concern? Not in my opinion.

There's a very strong link between hours worked and life expectancy. So, with more women entering full-time employment, it should not be of any surprise that the life expectancy for women is not increasing as fast as it has been.

There's still a higher percentage of men in full-time employment than women, and life expectancy is still 4 years less. Should the target not be to achieve equality?

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Possibly because they're views I don't agree with.

That's  a more than fair view. However, this conversation started by questioning why there's an increasing percentage or women in work and why for a single year blip there was a reduction in the life expectancy for women... then blaming it on Tory austerity measures. In this modern age of equality, it must be a logical assumption to make that the percentage of women and men in work will be fairly equal. So we should expect an increase of women in work, and/or a decrease in men at work to meet that point of 'equilibrium'. So is the increasing percentage of women in work a concern? Not in my opinion.

There's a very strong link between hours worked and life expectancy. So, with more women entering full-time employment, it should not be of any surprise that the life expectancy for women is not increasing as fast as it has been.

There's still a higher percentage of men in full-time employment than women, and life expectancy is still 4 years less. Should the target not be to achieve equality?

Do you know why men die first ? Because they want to.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

As a society, we increase our productivity as we improve our methods of manufacturing. Less labour is required to produce the same output. 

That was true up until 2008. Productivity increased by about 2% per annum until the financial crisis, but it has only averaged 0.3% since then.

I used to work for a well-known manufacturer of fine china tableware in Stoke-on-Trent. They had sponging machines that were driven by an electric motor and a bicycle wheel! When they had a puncture, the production line would have to be shut down until somebody was found with a repair kit and a pump. No wonder the company went bankrupt in 2009, but the iconic British brand is still going and most of their products are now made in Indonesia apart from the really posh expensive stuff. Companies like Villeroy & Boch in Germany are still able to manufacture high-quality pottery profitably in spite of the higher costs there, and one of the reasons is that they are prepared to invest in decent machinery.

It was the same story at Austin Rover at Longbridge, where the production line was ancient and more or less dropping to bits before it was finally shut down and sold off to China.

British industry is obsessed with short-term cost-cutting and paying excessive dividends to shareholders instead of investing in the future. You can't blame that on the unions or the EU.

27 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

British industry is obsessed with short-term cost-cutting and paying excessive dividends to shareholders instead of investing in the future

Not just British industry - it's a global corporate phenemenon. And as someone will doubtless be along soon to point out - what's wrong with driving share prices and paying dividends? That's what pays our pensions...yadda yadda yadda

38 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

British industry is obsessed with short-term cost-cutting and paying excessive dividends to shareholders instead of investing in the future.

What’s wrong with driving share prices and paying dividends? That's what pays our pensions.

6 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

It's certainly a vicious cycle - not so much chicken and egg. The root is in the Thatcher years where unemployment rose to around 15million, because of the aforesaid destruction of our manufacturing industries. A lot of women had to get into work to support the family. As you say - eventually that meant more income as the men eventually found their way back to work. House prices rise - women get trapped into working to be able to afford the houses

I didn't say that. I speak purely from a historical perspective. Up until the 1980s, what you describe was the norm. A family could afford a decent house on one person's wage. Now getting on the housing ladder is difficult even for a 2 income family

Feel free to explain it some other way

15 million?

34 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

I see the EU army, that we were told would never happen, is now a thing. Command and control from Brussels. 
Thank god we’re out of that mess. 

What happens when the massed Commie hordes of the Red Army invade us now though?

Clearly I'll be OK but you lot might be in a bit of bother! ?

*no jokes about them already being here and living in Jezza's basement please! 

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

What happens when the massed Commie hordes of the Red Army invade us now though?

Nobody here is too old to not be guarding a bridge or a power station.

But if the Russians do land, the booze aisles of Tescos and Morrisons will act as speed bumps until our boys get organised.

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Well my commie friend. The EU will talk about what to do for 5 months, the French and the Germans will argue over who is in charge and then decide to split it on a 6 month rotation. Then bung the Italians into the front line with the Greeks with water pistols, as a front line of defence. By that time the Red Army will be in Calais and we will have to bail the buggers out again. 

50 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Well my commie friend. The EU will talk about what to do for 5 months, the French and the Germans will argue over who is in charge and then decide to split it on a 6 month rotation. Then bung the Italians into the front line with the Greeks with water pistols, as a front line of defence. By that time the Red Army will be in Calais and we will have to bail the buggers out again. 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1202062/european-army-eu-von-der-leyen-brexit-china-angela-merkel

You'll have write to the Daily Express and tell them not to be scared then.

They seem to be browning out their Y-Fronts.

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Not sure how to add tweets but it was a speech from Ursula von der Leyan.

Look for @bencorke on Twitter.

So a speech now equates it 'being a thing'?

If any of the 'lefties' on here posted that something was a thing based on a speech and some tweets we would be accused of being hysterical. Until it's a full proposal/bill being put in front of the EU parliament with a realistic chance of getting through I suspect there is bugger all to worry about unless there is some key development that I am unaware of?

Archived