The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

6 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Aren't we brimming with can-do? The solution to resource black hole that is London is to enable it to engulf even more?

Not especially imaginitive. 

Find a solution to the freight issue and that will free up passenger capacity.

It would help Heathrow if its entire focus wasn't eastwards towards the capital. It needs a less parochial outlook.

I've already stated the govt plans to have large free trade zones in the north. The simple fact on air travel is that it is not cost effective to split it, it's not attractive to the carriers, so why would they use it. The major ones have limited flights into northern airports and that is enough capacity. Large freight consolidations come into London and are the redistributed, much cheaper. So it's not so much as not imaginative, more what is economically viable and what the customers of UKPLC will want. 

Believe me your last comment is not the reality. Much of that cargo that comes in does not go anywhere near London. 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

I've already stated the govt plans to have large free trade zones in the north. The simple fact on air travel is that it is not cost effective to split it, it's not attractive to the carriers, so why would they use it. The major ones have limited flights into northern airports and that is enough capacity. Large freight consolidations come into London and are the redistributed, much cheaper. So it's not so much as not imaginative, more what is economically viable and what the customers of UKPLC will want. 

Believe me your last comment is not the reality. Much of that cargo that comes in does not go anywhere near London. 

So if it doesn't go anywhere near London, it doesn't need to fly into London. London does not need to take its cut.

This is just project fear from you. We will find a way. All that British spirit.

37 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

It snowed here today.. I've burnt a Greta effigy to keep me warm. Nearly burnt myself as well, perhaps there is something in this global warming thingy. Any NASA links that can help me with striking matches?

As for as the ongoing battle to convince die-hard climate change skeptics, I'll put you down as a 'work in progress'.  

One of the major distribution area's in the UK is in the Midlands .The so called golden triangle surrounded by the motorway network .EMA is more of a freight terminal than passenger hence why departures and arrivals are so poo.

They have just put a rail terminal in as well as storage and distribution facilities so it's not all London centric.

30 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

So if it doesn't go anywhere near London, it doesn't need to fly into London. London does not need to take its cut.

This is just project fear from you. We will find a way. All that British spirit.

Really.. M4 / M40 M3 & M1 corridors. Let me guess where they all start.

Interested to know where you get your expertise from? I've just worked in the industry for 40 years. What do I know...

42 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Tell that to @IslandExile

I'm on the next Red Funnel out of Town Quay......

......and I'll be planting my flange in East Cowes tonight.....?

You keep your flange concealed. We'll have none of that sort of thing here.

The island was an independent Kingdom for a few short days when the king at the time had one too many jagerbombs and bestowed it on his drinking partner. See Wikipedia.

Never mind Germans, we have British visitors ask if they need a passport to visit and wonder which side of the road we drive on. Mind, some of the lanes are so narrow, you just drive down the middle anyway.

VdM wish I could join you over a beer but I'm afraid the kids take up any of the free time I get - but enjoy your trip.

36 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

One of the major distribution area's in the UK is in the Midlands .The so called golden triangle surrounded by the motorway network .EMA is more of a freight terminal than passenger hence why departures and arrivals are so poo.

They have just put a rail terminal in as well as storage and distribution facilities so it's not all London centric.

2nd biggest in the UK but still 5 times smaller than Heathrow

1 hour ago, King Kevin said:

EMA is a big hub for the integrators. Does a decent job as well as they won't get space at Heathrow and Stanstead is too remote.

Archived