The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

On reflection I actually thing the new immigration thing could end up being OK.

Instead of having the "open floodgates" for low paid/skilled workers we have now, we stop it alltogether and then open and close taps via exemptions as and when we need to.

It has a logic to it. It's just all the BS that came with it - about stopping it all and getting the 8.4m inactive Brits to do it instead.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're told there's 8 million economically inactive people, who Priti Patel deems aren't doing enough, and wouldn't allow them to live here if they weren't British. I wonder how many more of us wouldn't qualify for a visa from the Home Secretary, if we had to apply to live in our own country?

Along with the former No10 employee wanting a section of the population sterilized, who knows how many people, he and his employers consider to be members of the underclass. Only suitable for low paid unskilled jobs. 

So besides the brightest and the best who does Johnson want joining him on board the great ship Britannia as it sails to his promised golden future. Who'll be in first class and how many will be consigned to steerage or maybe the bilges, where they can man the pumps to keep the ship afloat, while Johnson and his cronies sit happily on the upper deck.

4 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

We're told there's 8 million economically inactive people, who Priti Patel deems aren't doing enough, and wouldn't allow them to live here if they weren't British. I wonder how many more of us wouldn't qualify for a visa from the Home Secretary, if we had to apply to live in our own country?

Well her grandparents probably wouldn't have done when they fled here from Uganda.

1 hour ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

The new blue passport  has arrived. Made in Poland.

Is that because all the poles who worked at the passport  factory have gone back ?

Why do some people need to have a blue passport, what so special about the colour blue? Half the countries of the world appear to have a blue passport. My passport can be printed with yellow and pink stripes for all I care, so long as it allows me to travel to wherever I wish to in the world.

11 hours ago, cstand said:

Which highlights why we should have a strict policy of anyone entering the country nice of you to realise it’s a serious issue and it’s does apply to everyone.

Old proverb says … never have anything under your bed you wouldn't be happy your Mom seeing, never have anything on your digital device you wouldn't want the Police to see.

4 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Why do some people need to have a blue passport, what so special about the colour blue? Half the countries of the world appear to have a blue passport. My passport can be printed with yellow and pink stripes for all I care, so long as it allows me to travel to wherever I wish to in the world.

Don't be ridiculous......you must realise by now that Britain invented the colour blue and it is therefore an essential and integral expression of our national identity. 

If it ain't blue  it isn't British. It's our tradition dating back to woad.

Obviously we license the colour blue so that eg Croatia can use it for their passports. It's another example of our great British nation showing its ingenuity dontcha know.

Or alternatively it might be utter b******s......?

8 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

The new blue passport  has arrived. Made in Poland.

Is that because all the poles who worked at the passport  factory have gone back ?

No, it's becuse Margaret Thatcher decided long ago that Britain should become a nation of hedge fund managers and bank clerks instead of people who make things, even passports.

1 hour ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

No, it's becuse Margaret Thatcher decided long ago that Britain should become a nation of hedge fund managers and bank clerks instead of people who make things, even passports.

I think you'll find that economics made that decision.

15 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

I think you'll find that economics made that decision.

Yes economics had a factor but Thatcher wanted the unions broken, if that was at the cost of losing most of our manufacturing sector, she was prepared to let it happen. Her tory government unlike other countries governments  never attempted to give any support to our major manufacturing companies.

1 minute ago, 1of4 said:

Yes economics had a factor but Thatcher wanted the unions broken, if that was at the cost of losing most of our manufacturing sector, she was prepared to let it happen. Her tory government unlike other countries governments  never attempted to give any support to our major manufacturing companies.

Hold on. The unions, notably the NUM, had expressly stated intention of bringing down the government (can you imagine that today?). Should she have broken them, or allowed the rule of democracy to fail?

Our manufacturing was struggling precisely because of union power and subsidy and protectionism. It had to end. Capital tied up in inefficient industry is not helping anyone.

2 hours ago, Needlesh said:

Hold on. The unions, notably the NUM, had expressly stated intention of bringing down the government (can you imagine that today?). Should she have broken them, or allowed the rule of democracy to fail?

Our manufacturing was struggling precisely because of union power and subsidy and protectionism. It had to end. Capital tied up in inefficient industry is not helping anyone.

The NUM slogan during that strike was "coal not dole". Not extra pay, not trying to break the government (break them in the sense they would have to concede ground yes). I think the slogan "coal not dole" summed up the situation. Miners wanted work, Thatcher was prepared to do whatever it took to prevent it. 

2 hours ago, Needlesh said:

Forty years of free market ideology has seen Britain deindustrialise more than any other advanced economy. Britain is the only country in the G7 where manufacturing is less than 10% of GDP. And we are talking about now in 2020 when the unions have been broken for donkeys years.

And Brexit will lead to more deindustrialisation.

1 hour ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Nobody is going to get rich from making each other cups of coffee, cutting each others hair and flipping each other burgers.

But there would be some measure of equality...

So if the only choice is a system of a small chance of riches and a large chance of disappointment vs a certainty of mediocrity what do we choose?

3 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Nobody is going to get rich from making each other cups of coffee, cutting each others hair and flipping each other burgers.

Very true, but neither is anyone in the UK going to get rich manufacturing items which can be manufactured at a fraction of the cost elsewhere. 

We're all about financial services and high end engineering, medical and scientific research and all the stuff where we have an edge. Still, we're the 9th biggest manufacturer on earth, and 44% of our exports are manufactured goods.

Source

3 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Forty years of free market ideology has seen Britain deindustrialise more than any other advanced economy. Britain is the only country in the G7 where manufacturing is less than 10% of GDP. And we are talking about now in 2020 when the unions have been broken for donkeys years.

And Brexit will lead to more deindustrialisation.

I commented on Thatcher, I'll respectfully decline to get involved in a Brexit chat now. The die is cast.

Archived