The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

So a speech now equates it 'being a thing'?

If any of the 'lefties' on here posted that something was a thing based on a speech and some tweets we would be accused of being hysterical. Until it's a full proposal/bill being put in front of the EU parliament with a realistic chance of getting through I suspect there is bugger all to worry about unless there is some key development that I am unaware of?

Well yes.. As she has said it in a speech, it is a thing.

She has given the 'red light' for 'command and capacity' in Brussels. 'Civil & Military commanded together'. 'Essential step forward, unthinkable a while ago'.

'PESCO was in The Lisbon Treaty but never used'.  

A European solution to crisis. EU defence fund?

Nothing to see here? What a FUBAR that will turn out to be.

13 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

If any of the 'lefties' on here posted that something was a thing based on a speech and some tweets we would be accused of being hysterical. Until it's a full proposal/bill being put in front of the EU parliament with a realistic chance of getting through I suspect there is bugger all to worry about unless there is some key development that I am unaware of?

No key developments? 

Have you listened to the speech? 

Christ. 

16 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

She has given the 'red light' for 'command and capacity' in Brussels.

Why can't these wine sodden, garlic-munching, EU surrender monkeys just  stick to the commonly held convention of a GREEN LIGHT.

Surely only the Italians would use a red one!

45 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1202062/european-army-eu-von-der-leyen-brexit-china-angela-merkel

You'll have write to the Daily Express and tell them not to be scared then.

They seem to be browning out their Y-Fronts.

Barely literate article. 

Quotes Ursula wotsit as claiming "the bloc are ready to asset (sic) themselves "

What's that mean? Hiding behind the cheese mountain?? ?

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Not sure how to add tweets but it was a speech from Ursula von der Leyan.

Look for @bencorke on Twitter.

Not exactly and "EU Army" is it. This is rabid brexiteer paranoia at it's finest

What's the problem with the EU strengthening and coordinating it's member state defence forces anyway? Seems eminently sensible to me. Worked pretty well in WW2 when the Allies coordinated their forces didn't it?

Only 3 years ago we were being told by Michael Fallon that this was a good thing, in the face of Russia asserting it's dominance on the eastern European border 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/03/eu-set-to-sign-off-military-command-centre-in-brussels

11 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Not exactly and "EU Army" is it. This is rabid brexiteer paranoia at it's finest

What's the problem with the EU strengthening and coordinating it's member state defence forces anyway? Seems eminently sensible to me. Worked pretty well in WW2 when the Allies coordinated their forces didn't it?

Only 3 years ago we were being told by Michael Fallon that this was a good thing, in the face of Russia asserting it's dominance on the eastern European border 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/03/eu-set-to-sign-off-military-command-centre-in-brussels

Isn't that the purpose of NATO? 

12 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Rabid paranoia? Really? 

Do France and Germany really need the EU to control it's defense forces. 

What is the EU going to do? Tell Lithuania to throw stones at Russia? 

You know it's a stepping stone. Who is going to coordinate this anyway. I hope it's a democratically elected Council. 

1 minute ago, Norman said:

Rabid paranoia? Really? 

Questions if it's rabid paranoia - and then follows it up with paranoid ramblings.

You'd think that now we've left the EU and are effectively a sitting duck isolationist island with a weakened and inneffective military, we might quite want the EU states on the mainland to be as coordinated and effective as possible.

"What's that France? No! I thought Belgium was patrolling for Russian subs today" ?

15 minutes ago, Norman said:

Rabid paranoia? Really? 

Do France and Germany really need the EU to control it's defense forces. 

What is the EU going to do? Tell Lithuania to throw stones at Russia? 

You know it's a stepping stone. Who is going to coordinate this anyway. I hope it's a democratically elected Council. 

What does it matter to you anyway?

33 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Really? I have no words.

19 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Questions if it's rabid paranoia - and then follows it up with paranoid ramblings.

You'd think that now we've left the EU and are effectively a sitting duck isolationist island with a weakened and inneffective military, we might quite want the EU states on the mainland to be as coordinated and effective as possible.

"What's that France? No! I thought Belgium was patrolling for Russian subs today" ?

We have NATO? 

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

The Eurocorps has been a thing since 1995, but nobody seems to have noticed. They  still haven't got round to invading anywhere. It's only when the Daily Mail publishes something designed to keep the gammons excited and to wind them up into a nationalist fervour that people start talking about it as an issue.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurocorps?wprov=sfla1

No country will be forced into a EU Army against their wishes.  If an EU Army does become a reality, it will be like the EURO, countries could simply opt out if they wished.  What's the problem with that?  There has been some ridiculous over-reactions to ta potential EU Army on these pages. 

Archived