The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

10 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I imagine they'd tell you to bog off and mind your own business

They've done that to us for the last 30 years, so I'm not sure why you're so concerned what they think anyway. 

And am I not allowed a view on the EU. That's like saying The USA would tell you to duck off fo discussing their elections. That's just stupid. 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Highgate said:

No country will be forced into a EU Army against their wishes.  If an EU Army does become a reality, it will be like the EURO, countries could simply opt out if they wished.  What's the problem with that?  There has been some ridiculous over-reactions to ta potential EU Army on these pages. 

Think it's more to do with the fact me and @Angry Ram amongst others have been mocked for over a year for even mentioning an EU Army. Wish I could be arsed to search out the quotes.

The problem for me isn't who opts in or out. It's who controls the decision making. 

20 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

That was true up until 2008. Productivity increased by about 2% per annum until the financial crisis, but it has only averaged 0.3% since then.

I used to work for a well-known manufacturer of fine china tableware in Stoke-on-Trent. They had sponging machines that were driven by an electric motor and a bicycle wheel! When they had a puncture, the production line would have to be shut down until somebody was found with a repair kit and a pump. No wonder the company went bankrupt in 2009, but the iconic British brand is still going and most of their products are now made in Indonesia apart from the really posh expensive stuff. Companies like Villeroy & Boch in Germany are still able to manufacture high-quality pottery profitably in spite of the higher costs there, and one of the reasons is that they are prepared to invest in decent machinery.

It was the same story at Austin Rover at Longbridge, where the production line was ancient and more or less dropping to bits before it was finally shut down and sold off to China.

British industry is obsessed with short-term cost-cutting and paying excessive dividends to shareholders instead of investing in the future. You can't blame that on the unions or the EU.

Well said.

3 minutes ago, Norman said:

The problem for me isn't who opts in or out. It's who controls the decision making. 

If I remember correctly it was the assertions of the compulsory nature of the EU Army that may have been mocked (or questioned rather).  I don't think anyone would be surprised if some form of an EU Army materialized at some point in the future. 

Which decisions are you talking about ?   Why would it matter what decisions an EU Army makes if the UK wasn't in it ? 

12 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I imagine they'd tell you to bog off and mind your own business

That's about the size of it.

They can do whatever they like now, we have left and we are not involved.

Whether you are quivering imagining it to be a jack-booted horde, or Greeks with water pistols, it's their gig.

I think much of this has to do with worrying if NATO is really still a thing, after the Donald had a huff when people (including Boris) were having a laugh at the last NATO meeting.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/04/world-leaders-caught-mocking-donald-trump-nato-reception-11266229/

Also pooling resources. 

I don't think Mutti Merkel is viewing the people on the I.O.W. as ethnic Germans who need saving from evil Hampshire.

1 hour ago, Norman said:

No key developments? 

Have you listened to the speech? 

Christ. 

Why are we getting so wound up over it? It doesn't impact us. If anything having a large scale co-ordinated military force on our doorstep sitting between us and the likes of Russia and China is something to be pleased about.

Besides, I have been in the army and seen how hard it is to coordinate forces from different nations in the field. We don't go it alone any more. In Afghan there were a multitude of nations there, with a greater framework in place to help them coordinate then it could have been a lot smoother in places.

Not perfect, but having divisions between allied nations working in the same theatres is no use either.

6 minutes ago, Highgate said:

If I remember correctly it was the assertions of the compulsory nature of the EU Army that may have been mocked (or questioned rather).  I don't think anyone would be surprised if some form of an EU Army materialized at some point in the future. 

Your memory is horrendous

7 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Why are we getting so wound up over it? It doesn't impact us. If anything having a large scale co-ordinated military force on our doorstep sitting between us and the likes of Russia and China is something to be pleased about.

Wound up? 3 short sentences. 

I'm not wound up. I'm enjoying those who mocked the idea now saying how good it will be for us. 

Bunch of hypocrites. 

5 minutes ago, Norman said:

Wound up? 3 short sentences. 

I'm not wound up. I'm enjoying those who mocked the idea now saying how good it will be for us. 

Bunch of hypocrites. 

You are talking like it's 100% guaranteed to happen to tomorrow. There are so many obstacles both politically and logistically that we are miles away from it ever happening, if it ever does which it probably wont.

EU army is pure gammon-bait I'm afraid

Sets them off big style

It's pretty clear from the muddled thinking here that they don't even really know what they are opposed to and why

It's telling that the speech in question doesn't even mention an EU army -it's just talking about coordinating member states forces. Much like NATO does (who also have a central command centre that no one seems to be in quite such a froth about). And much like the Allies did in WW2.

There seems to be some sort of misconception about us having control over when and where war is declared. When has that ever been in our control?

Suggest we all head to Switzerland until it all blows over

8 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

You are talking like it's 100% guaranteed to happen to tomorrow. There are so many obstacles both politically and logistically that we are miles away from it ever happening, if it ever does which it probably wont.

No I'm not. I am talking about the IDEA of an EU Army which was mocked. 

4 minutes ago, Norman said:

Your memory is horrendous

Well that's a pretty justifiable claim to be fair. ?

Pretty sure I wouldn't have mocked someone for merely claiming that an EU was likely though, although I can't be 100% certain.  Are you sure you are not just hyper sensitive to posts that are critical of your opinions and that skews your impression of past discussions?

13 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

EU army is pure gammon-bait I'm afraid

Sets them off big style

It's pretty clear from the muddled thinking here that they don't even really know what they are opposed to and why

It's telling that the speech in question doesn't even mention an EU army -it's just talking about coordinating member states forces. Much like NATO does (who also have a central command centre that no one seems to be in quite such a froth about). And much like the Allies did in WW2.

There seems to be some sort of misconception about us having control over when and where war is declared. When has that ever been in our control?

Suggest we all head to Switzerland until it all blows over

We will see. You mostly back the wrong horse anyway. 

I take it you've ignored all the other talk about an EU Army? And when peopke use words like 'stepping stones' and 'ideas', I'm not sure how you get to thinking of using works such as 'paranoia' and 'frothing at the mouth'. 

1 minute ago, Highgate said:

Well that's a pretty justifiable claim to be fair. ?

Pretty sure I wouldn't have mocked someone for merely claiming that an EU was likely though, although I can't be 100% certain.  Are you sure you are not just hyper sensitive to posts that are critical of your opinions and that skews your impression of past discussions?

Nope. I'm not saying you did. There's plenty of evidence. 

Archived