The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

Once the Russians have stormed their way through Europe, They'll have to wait for a good supply of rubber dinghys in Calais, Then when they've crossed the channel, Getting through customs control will be a nightmare, Checking all their luggage and tobacco and booze only to be told their Russian passports are invalid for entry.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

So we are agreed that all it is at this point is an idea? In which case there is nothing to worry about because there are loads of ideas knocking about that will never amount to anything. This is just another one of them.

Well, yeah. 

I'd say it's a stepping stone as well. Not sure what's so crazy about that. 

Heathrow not having another runway thanks to campaigners. Maybe politicians might actually be tempted to spend the money on other huge projects outside of the M25 for a change. And hopefully the verdict in court means more spending for regional airports to gain more business.

One day governments might realise there's more to this nation than London.

13 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

Heathrow not having another runway thanks to campaigners. Maybe politicians might actually be tempted to spend the money on other huge projects outside of the M25 for a change. And hopefully the verdict in court means more spending for regional airports to gain more business.

Unlikely. They will just contrive to do it a different way. Johnson's objections to the third runway were not that resources could be utilised elsewhere in the country but were pure NIMBY. His alternative was another London airport in the Thames off Essex.

19 minutes ago, Norman said:

Nope. I'm not saying you did. There's plenty of evidence. 

Given that neither of us are going to bother to check the validity of your claim, I'll have to take you at your word.   What was your problem with the EU Army 'decision making'?  And how does that effect the UK now?

1 hour ago, Highgate said:

If I remember correctly it was the assertions of the compulsory nature of the EU Army that may have been mocked (or questioned rather).  I don't think anyone would be surprised if some form of an EU Army materialized at some point in the future. 

Which decisions are you talking about ?   Why would it matter what decisions an EU Army makes if the UK wasn't in it ? 

We will have to see how 'compulsory' this becomes. Anyhow, it just reiterates the reason why I voted to leave the EU. It's not so much what the EU is today as to what it will be tomorrow. It is by stealth becoming something it was not meant to be. Better out than in.

In essence the reference to 'civil' is more worrying than military. I know there is a certain amount of 'civil' already but how will that develop?

If I blamed global warming, you you agree with me?

1 hour ago, SouthStandDan said:

This country badly needs this 3rd runway. No point in having it anywhere else as the carriers won't be interested. London, has to compete with Amsterdam, Frankfurt & Paris, now more than ever. Stopping this is a massive mistake.

I think this government has spoken more about the North than anyone previously. They are thinking of introducing a Free Trade Zone stretching from the Humber to Liverpool. Is that too near London for you?

17 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Anyhow, it just reiterates the reason why I voted to leave the EU. It's not so much what the EU is today as to what it will be tomorrow. It is by stealth becoming something it was not meant to be.

What with this Mystic Meg/Nostradamus view and Norman's paranoia about "stepping stones" (whatever that means) - it's almost as if some people have forgotten that they have spent 3 years angrily shouting "project fear" at anyone who predicted any negative effect of leaving the EU. That or an irony bypass

6 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

What with this Mystic Meg/Nostradamus view and Norman's paranoia about "stepping stones" (whatever that means) - it's almost as if some people have forgotten that they have spent 3 years angrily shouting "project fear" at anyone who predicted any negative effect of leaving the EU. That or an irony bypass

I've been pretty consistent with my views on why I voted to leave. Clearly defined on here but perhaps the words were too big for you.

There has been plenty of 'project fear' that has proved to be exactly that. What's your point? 

@Norman is actually right. How do you think we went from the original premise of the EEC to what we have today. Stepping stones... 

Turkey will be next. Now they can't make the budget work, they will bring the Turks in to soften the load.

Actually the EU having an army is okay with me now. We are not in, so they can do what they want. It was just that the chorus from the remainers was nah, nah, veto blah, blah blah. Well whilst I agree its not making a dash for home plate yet, it is defo at first and looking to steal to second. 

Perhaps you should be a bit more Nostradamus, it might help your perspective on most matters. 

Just now, Angry Ram said:

Perhaps you should be a bit more Nostradamus, it might help your perspective on most matters. 

OK - there won't be an EU Army. The EU will be fine without us. We will have a massive recession once the transition period ends. Cocu will leave in the summer. You'll still carry on pretending like you were right. I still find you funny babes x

42 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

We will have to see how 'compulsory' this becomes. Anyhow, it just reiterates the reason why I voted to leave the EU. It's not so much what the EU is today as to what it will be tomorrow. It is by stealth becoming something it was not meant to be. Better out than in.

In essence the reference to 'civil' is more worrying than military. I know there is a certain amount of 'civil' already but how will that develop?

If I blamed global warming, you you agree with me?

As compulsory as the Euro I'd imagine.  If the EU starts forcing countries into armies against their will, then that really will be the end of the EU and if that's what the EU had turned into ..then good riddance to it.   Better to leave when it has become something you don't like rather than out of fear of what it might become in my opinion.  

If you blamed the EU Army on Global Warming ......I wouldn't agree with you but I'd least I'd be pleased that you are starting to see Global Warming as threat. ?

6 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

OK - there won't be an EU Army. The EU will be fine without us. We will have a massive recession once the transition period ends. Cocu will leave in the summer. You'll still carry on pretending like you were right. I still find you funny babes x

And the Labour Party will never be in power again. Time will tell if I am right or you are right.

Funny you should mention that the EU will be fine without us. I attended a meeting yesterday in London, where it was made quite clear by people who have direct interaction with EU regulatory bodies, that they are very worried about a rouge UK on their border. 

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

And the Labour Party will never be in power again. Time will tell if I am right or you are right.

Funny you should mention that the EU will be fine without us. I attended a meeting yesterday in London, where it was made quite clear by people who have direct interaction with EU regulatory bodies, that they are very worried about a rouge UK on their border. 

What do they have against the colour pink?

1 minute ago, Highgate said:

As compulsory as the Euro I'd imagine.  If the EU starts forcing countries into armies against their will, then that really will be the end of the EU and if that's what the EU had turned into ..then good riddance to it.   Better to leave when it has become something you don't like rather than out of fear of what it might become in my opinion.  

If you blamed the EU Army on Global Warming ......I wouldn't agree with you but I'd least I'd be pleased that you are starting to see Global Warming as threat. ?

It snowed here today.. I've burnt a Greta effigy to keep me warm. Nearly burnt myself as well, perhaps there is something in this global warming thingy. Any NASA links that can help me with striking matches?

48 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

This country badly needs this 3rd runway. No point in having it anywhere else as the carriers won't be interested. London, has to compete with Amsterdam, Frankfurt & Paris, now more than ever. Stopping this is a massive mistake.

I think this government has spoken more about the North than anyone previously. They are thinking of introducing a Free Trade Zone stretching from the Humber to Liverpool. Is that too near London for you?

Why does freight have to go into Heathrow?

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

Why does freight have to go into Heathrow?

Not all does. However if we are to still be a major hub loads of freight destined for those European airports transits through London and is trucked or flown onwards to FRA, PAR & AMS. We all compete for that business and capacities are an issues. Even freight arriving at LGW is an issue, it takes too long to transit to LHR. Internal transits can take longer than the original flights. It's not just freight, passengers are not interested in flying into BHX and having a connecting flight out of LHR. 

LHR is the major hub in the UK, why would you want to dilute that? 

3 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Not all does. However if we are to still be a major hub loads of freight destined for those European airports transits through London and is trucked or flown onwards to FRA, PAR & AMS. We all compete for that business and capacities are an issues. Even freight arriving at LGW is an issue, it takes too long to transit to LHR. Internal transits can take longer than the original flights. It's not just freight, passengers are not interested in flying into BHX and having a connecting flight out of LHR. 

LHR is the major hub in the UK, why would you want to dilute that? 

Aren't we brimming with can-do? The solution to resource black hole that is London is to enable it to engulf even more?

Not especially imaginitive. 

Find a solution to the freight issue and that will free up passenger capacity.

It would help Heathrow if its entire focus wasn't eastwards towards the capital. It needs a less parochial outlook.

Archived