New: Manager or not

RoyMac5

New: Manager or not  

494 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A question for those who want him to stay (and I’m not sure myself, having not seen any games this season due to personal reasons - I’ve just listened to a few games on RD, so not qualified to give an opinion either way)

What have you seen in his management so far that makes you think he will turn things around with new personnel? Genuine question. 
As for the little I’ve heard/seen it seems theres an inconsistency in his team/formation choices. So difficult to know what he gets right, irrespective of players.  ?? 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Mac 2, when we were dropping towards relegation regions.

Right, and he turned it around by having a backbone of Keogh, Johnson and Pearce. 

Cocu started to turn it around with a backbone of Davies, Clarke and two of Huddlestone, Bielik, Evans or Shinnie. Four of those are injured and one of them has been. We’re playing a crocked left-back at centre-half because that’s all we have left. 

We don’t have an Ince who can do it all on his own either. 

Since Nigel Clough (who served for 4yrs 10mths) our longest serving manager since Jim Smith (bless him), we have made 9 changes of running the team in less than 6yrs. During that time we have had wholesale changes in player personnel reached two play off finals and two semi-final play offs. Mel is running a club where we have diced with FFP, by him buying the stadium. We have a lot of players out of contract by the end of this season. We have a manager who came in late on taking over from Frank. We have had either currently injured or previously injured during this season= Wisdom, Beilik, Clarke, Bogle, Shinnie, Evans, Holmes, Anya, Huddlestone, Waghorn, Marriott and Bennett. We had Forsyth pushed into the 1st team after a long lay off. We have lost Keogh, including the disruption of the Lawrence/Bennett court case. I also would'nt be surprised that some of the players that have come in under Cocu were last minute deals/decisions made by others at the club. I would like to see an overall of the scouting system, because since Nigel Clough's time we have not plucked a gem from other teams and I am referring to players who made their name at Derby having been an unknown previously.

Changing manager is not going to solve the problem, we will be taking one step forward and two back. The club can't afford it, thats why Rowett jumped ship. We don't have the fianance to spend heavy in the transfer market and we certianly cannot afford to keep changing managers. I can understand the frustration and anger of us not making the progress and getting to the promised land in the Premier league. Last season we were spoiled, we had in Mount, Tomori and Wilson top class players all now regular squad players with their national sides. We were never going to replace them with like for like players. This is our transitional season, we can't throw the youngsters in the deep end straight away and see men against boys, we would be in a relegation dog fight. Cocu needs to ease them in gently, its a tough division the championship and I am certain Wayne will find out very shortly. Give Cocu this transfer window, the rest of the season to get used to being in the toughest league in the world. Give him the summer, with another transfer window with next season seeing some more of the current youth stepping up into the 1st team as a regular squad players.                                           BY THE WAY I'M STICKING FOR AT LEAST THIS TIME NEXT YEAR

4 minutes ago, cannable said:

If the McClaren team can drop off of a cliff with a better squad, six months of top two form and sixteen months of coaching behind it what chance does Cocu have with the hand he’s been dealt? 

He took over a squad that the season previous wasn’t as good as the McClaren team. We lose our top goal scorer, the entirety of our first choice midfield and Fans’ Player of the Season to a Bosman or loan completion. 

He took over that squad after pre-season had already started and been arranged by the previous incumbent. This had an affect on transfers as well as coaching. 

He then has to deal with Joinersgate in which he loses the Fans’ Player of the Season for good.

He then adapts the system, introducing Davies and Shinnie and makes us more of a hard to beat side and we pick up results. 

Now after all of that he loses Huddlestone, Shinnie, Evans and Clarke for a prolonged spell and Bielik and Marriott keep picking up niggles.  He’s literally without three of his four first choice midfielders and both first-choice centre-halves. 

What do people seriously expect? If the best Derby team of this millennium can slip to relegation form with injuries what do you expect Cocu to be doing with this Derby team? 

I seriously expect that, despite the injuries, our team can do better than 1 goal and point from the past 7 away games. I'd expect us to have more than 1 away win this season and I'd expect us to not have the 2nd worst attack in the league. We're not creating many chances, giving away chances easily and there's no sign of improvement. I'm all for finally having a bit of stability, but I genuinely can't see any signs that Cocu is going to turn us around. There's not a single player in this team who has improved from last season, so why does everyone suddenly expect him to go out and find signings who will fit his system and improve us. If he can't improve a single player (minus maybe Knight who only got a chance through injuries) from the 28 he's used in the league this season, is it really that smart to allow him to bring in a whole new group of players to a team already treading a fine line with FFP, when there's very little evidence he'll improve them and thus the value of them? Honestly, just think how crazy that is .... 28 players used in the league this season and minus the youngsters who weren't involved last year, no one has actually gotten better. 

34 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Disappointing performances atm but I'll judge Cocu this time next season. We need to be patient and let him build. We can't keep changing every year and expect to improve, it just doesn't work. 

Absolutely with you on this.

Just a little bit nervous that we might be in League One next season if things carry on as they are.

We don't look like we could beat anyone in this league, at the minute.

10 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Since Nigel Clough (who served for 4yrs 10mths) our longest serving manager since Jim Smith (bless him), we have made 9 changes of running the team in less than 6yrs. During that time we have had wholesale changes in player personnel reached two play off finals and two semi-final play offs. Mel is running a club where we have diced with FFP, by him buying the stadium. We have a lot of players out of contract by the end of this season. We have a manager who came in late on taking over from Frank. We have had either currently injured or previously injured during this season= Wisdom, Beilik, Clarke, Bogle, Shinnie, Evans, Holmes, Anya, Huddlestone, Waghorn, Marriott and Bennett. We had Forsyth pushed into the 1st team after a long lay off. We have lost Keogh, including the disruption of the Lawrence/Bennett court case. I also would'nt be surprised that some of the players that have come in under Cocu were last minute deals/decisions made by others at the club. I would like to see an overall of the scouting system, because since Nigel Clough's time we have not plucked a gem from other teams and I am referring to players who made their name at Derby having been an unknown previously.

Changing manager is not going to solve the problem, we will be taking one step forward and two back. The club can't afford it, thats why Rowett jumped ship. We don't have the fianance to spend heavy in the transfer market and we certianly cannot afford to keep changing managers. I can understand the frustration and anger of us not making the progress and getting to the promised land in the Premier league. Last season we were spoiled, we had in Mount, Tomori and Wilson top class players all now regular squad players with their national sides. We were never going to replace them with like for like players. This is our transitional season, we can't throw the youngsters in the deep end straight away and see men against boys, we would be in a relegation dog fight. Cocu needs to ease them in gently, its a tough division the championship and I am certain Wayne will find out very shortly. Give Cocu this transfer window, the rest of the season to get used to being in the toughest league in the world. Give him the summer, with another transfer window with next season seeing some more of the current youth stepping up into the 1st team as a regular squad players.                                           BY THE WAY I'M STICKING FOR AT LEAST THIS TIME NEXT YEAR

Don’t talk sense, it’s hard for people to comprehend on here and elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

I seriously expect that, despite the injuries, our team can do better than 1 goal and point from the past 7 away games. I'd expect us to have more than 1 away win this season and I'd expect us to not have the 2nd worst attack in the league. We're not creating many chances, giving away chances easily and there's no sign of improvement. I'm all for finally having a bit of stability, but I genuinely can't see any signs that Cocu is going to turn us around. There's not a single player in this team who has improved from last season, so why does everyone suddenly expect him to go out and find signings who will fit his system and improve us. If he can't improve a single player (minus maybe Knight who only got a chance through injuries) from the 28 he's used in the league this season, is it really that smart to allow him to bring in a whole new group of players to a team already treading a fine line with FFP, when there's very little evidence he'll improve them and thus the value of them? Honestly, just think how crazy that is .... 28 players used in the league this season and minus the youngsters who weren't involved last year, no one has actually gotten better. 

West Brom have not had as many injuries as the Rams have had so far this season. They are top of the League and have used 23 players so far.

Archived