New: Manager or not

RoyMac5

New: Manager or not  

494 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Plenty of people available or who we might be able to poach, Silva, Hughton, Adkins, Bowyer, Ainsworth etc .... whether or not they'd come or be successful is unknown, but Cocu has done nothing to suggest he's the right man to take us forward. The only arguments I've seen for him to stay is that he has a long contract so it would cost a lot to sack him (it would cost the club a lot to be relegated too if things get even worse under him), we need stability (fair enough argument, but with stability you'd hope to see gradual improvement and we've yet to see that) and some have stated he's giving young players a chance (he's been forced to through injuries and suspensions and hasn't used them anywhere near enough in my opinion).

Silva - took Hull City down after being parachuted in, sacked from Watford for appalling results, admittedly after fluttering his eyelashes at Everton, so much so Everton had to pay Watford compensation even though they appointed him months later, only to be sacked by Everton for poor results and football despite having £500m spent on his squad.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How do you think he'll set up the new players? Where does he play some of the current squad?!

I hope most of the current squad won’t be here next season.

I selected Out as I need to pick 1 and I sway more towards that.

I dont want to sack him, I really do want to finally have a manger we keep for a few years, but I've seen nothing from this half of the season to suggest he is the man for the job.

His tactics are poor, his team selections are sometimes baffling, his substitutions at times leave me confused.

A good manager should be able to get the best out of a bad bunch of players, he clearly cannot.

I honestly think he was just very lucky at PSV and clearly had a very good bunch of players, which coincided with Ajax being a bit off it.

3 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Silva - took Hull City down after being parachuted in, sacked from Watford for appalling results, admittedly after fluttering his eyelashes at Everton, so much so Everton had to pay Watford compensation even though they appointed him months later, only to be sacked by Everton for poor results and football despite having £500m spent on his squad.

He didn't actually do too bad with Hull and was brilliant with Watford before going all Steve McClaren and flirting with the idea of leaving, but he definitely should have done better with Everton given the money spent. He wouldn't be my preferred choice, but he was the first big name that came to mind when thinking of managers out of work. 

Even with being relegated at Hull, he still had a better win percentage than Cocu has here and they both managed a similar number of games. Cocu now has the lowest win percentage at Derby since Paul Jewell (yes, even lower than Pearson). I'm all for stability if we can see a plan and signs of progress, but there's just nothing right now that makes me believe he'll turn this around. 

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How do you think he'll set up the new players? Where does he play some of the current squad?!

Let’s be honest though Roy some of the squad aren’t good enough. We as fans have even taken these players for granted from last season and ignored their faults. Unfortunately that even extends to Chris Martin at this moment. There’s a lot of average in there in defence, midfield and upfront at the minute. Then a lot of riff raff hanging about on the bench and some not even making the 18. That’s not on Cocu at this moment, quite a few need shipping out and players added who can fit into the system and style.

Hes tried to manage up until now, I think part of him was hoping they would last the season when he spoke in interviews, but injuries and other problems have taken a toll. We are effectively limping into January but I think that’s better than getting through January and having a shocking second half to the season.

56 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

In. The sense of entitlement some gave here is borderline embarrassing. 

This echoes George Burleys reign for me. Took him 18 months to build a decent side (on a shoestring too). We nearly went down under a full season under him.

It’s the same old people who wanted Rowett out because he played boring football. Yet I see folk berate Cocu, especially after Reading..... where we played ok, but it’s a results based business they reply..... pull out a lot of hypocritical quotes to that.

Its the same people who harp back to the days of Mac 1. I loved that season. We have moved on.

George Burley pretty instantly improved results and stabilised us in the division. He used the following season to rebuild, but you could always see what he was trying to do. Things never looked chaotic. The players never looked bemused. 

George Burley also ultimately failed. By your logic we need to give Cocu time to fail. 

The existence of our club is currently in jeopardy. We are likely to go into administration if we are relegated. Mel also wants to secure investment. Are we financially secure without that investment? Does a relegation battle make investment more or less likely? How much influence do 32Red have?

I believe that replacing Cocu is both the right thing to do and Mel's only option. It wouldn't surprise if we have just seen Cocu's last game.

You can't build on sand.

Mel won’t fire him. I want to see what he can do with a transfer window. I’m apprehensive with regards to what players are put infront of him as I think we really are working with the absolute pits with regards to scouts. I just hope he can get his own men in and actually put his stamp on it.

We know that he built a Championship winning team with PSV. I just want him to be afforded the same chance here; remove the scouting department, sell all the players we can and start from scratch. 

59 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Have had enough of listening to the excuses on here about injuries, taxigate, now Lampards summer signings blah blah this is Cocus team now and has been since day one - he needs to start taking ownership of HIS players 

Whilst I agree with some of the other posters regarding Fozzy over Wisdom, etc he’s had just 6 months. And all of the issues you listed - it’s nowhere near his squad. I’m frustrated and actually bored of the football we play at home but it’s early days and I think Cocu is trying to develop the entire club. 

I think we stick with. Let’s see how Rooney influences things on the pitch. 

4 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Let’s be honest though Roy some of the squad aren’t good enough. We as fans have even taken these players for granted from last season and ignored their faults. Unfortunately that even extends to Chris Martin at this moment. There’s a lot of average in there in defence, midfield and upfront at the minute. Then a lot of riff raff hanging about on the bench and some not even making the 18. That’s not on Cocu at this moment, quite a few need shipping out and players added who can fit into the system and style.

Hes tried to manage up until now, I think part of him was hoping they would last the season when he spoke in interviews, but injuries and other problems have taken a toll. We are effectively limping into January but I think that’s better than getting through January and having a shocking second half to the season.

None of our strikers could make a silk purse out of the creative midfield/wide players Cocu sets up. All looked poor.

Marriott today - played out wide ffs. Lawrence isn't a winger/wideman. Holmes is barely a footballer yet he stays on over Sibley. Sibley who gets dropped for Whittaker, who isn't ready but takes Knights place who needs experience.

Nope sorry we are NOT as bad as Cocu has us looking, not by a long chalk.

No doubt this is difficult times and the football at the moment is pretty dire.  However, I think we need to ride this out and trust that Cocu will build a team we’ll ultimately be proud of.  Totally understand the call for his head - it’s a results and entertainment business and we’re not getting either at the minute.  Just think at some point we need to give a manager a bit of time ?

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's an indication of the way Cocu sets his teams up.

Let’s hope he sets his team up with players at his disposal who are up to standard. 

Archived